Thread: Surcharge in Newark

Default Surcharge in Newark

Now the City if Newark wants to put a 5% surcharge on all tickets to The Prudentiel Center to help cover the cost of the Police. That is crazy. Ill go to events at the Meadowlands just for spite and boycot the New Arena if this is the case. The idea of the Arena was to bring extra business to the city. Why should the public have to pay for Traffic Cops? Which is what most of the extra cops are there for
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

This is typical of the kind of small-minded thinking that has killed off the downtowns. When I was a boy, downtown Hackensack was a prosperous business district. But the traffic was bad on Thursday and Friday night, there wasn't enough parking, and what parking there was was metered. You couldn't relax while shopping for fear of getting a parking ticket.

When the Bergen Mall and Garden State Plaza opened in 1958, Hackensack became a ghost town. The city fathers never learned their lesson. Providing free parking like the malls would have saved the downtown.

Here it is, almost 50 years later, and Hackensack never recovered. Why are some obvious lessons so hard to learn?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I was going to post about this, but from my understanding it was the state that wanted to put the surcharge on there. I could be wrong. Either way - I am against the surcharge. It's ridiculous. Do they or don't they want Newark to be prosperous and get out of the situation it is in? As more people discover Newark because of the arena, more people will go there for events and for dinner and shopping - thus putting money into the local economy. That would more than pay for the extra security that is needed at the Prudential Center. As a side item - why doesn't the city speak out against the second rail tunnel to New York, and tell the New JERSEY politicians to support attracting businesses to our cities- instead of always worrying about how they will get workers to New York.

As a second side note - is there any surcharge on the Giants and Jets tickets? NO there aren't - and those New Jersey teams won't even carry NJ on their name or even admit they play in New Jersey. I swear - sometimes I think that our politicians all come from N Y or are at least paid under the table by them. The Devils attendance is UP 17% since moving to Newark - when everyone said no one would come to Newark.

Everyone should know that New Jersey governments and it's politicians always have their hand out for more money - while draining it's businesses and residents bone dry. When the pol titians see anyone or anything making money in this state - they tax it to death until it either leaves or dies penniless - just waiting for it's next taxable victim to come along. But hey - in the November elections - what changed in Trenton???? NOTHING. The people still voted for the same people who repeatedly tax us to death.

BTW - instead of punishing the Devils or other events taking place at the Prudential Center for the 5% surcharge, which they have nothing to do with and we would be forced to pay - I say don't support the businesses in Newark. If the businesses see a noticeable drop in customers then the businesses will get up in arms and the politicians will more likely be forced to revoke it.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

The businesses around the arena have nothing to do with the surcharge. It would be unfair and counterproductive to boycott them. If the surcharge really makes that big of a difference to you, complain to the state legislature that imposed it. Write letters and make calls. The arena and the area around it though need all the help they can get and something as stupid as a 5% surcharge shouldn't be what stops it from happening.

New Jerseyan

Default The state wants Prudential Center to fail

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    I was going to post about this, but from my understanding it was the state that wanted to put the surcharge on there. I could be wrong. Either way - I am against the surcharge. It's ridiculous. Do they or don't they want Newark to be prosperous and get out of the situation it is in? As more people discover Newark because of the arena, more people will go there for events and for dinner and shopping - thus putting money into the local economy. That would more than pay for the extra security that is needed at the Prudential Center. As a side item - why doesn't the city speak out against the second rail tunnel to New York, and tell the New JERSEY politicians to support attracting businesses to our cities- instead of always worrying about how they will get workers to New York.

As a second side note - is there any surcharge on the Giants and Jets tickets? NO there aren't - and those New Jersey teams won't even carry NJ on their name or even admit they play in New Jersey. I swear - sometimes I think that our politicians all come from N Y or are at least paid under the table by them. The Devils attendance is UP 17% since moving to Newark - when everyone said no one would come to Newark.

Everyone should know that New Jersey governments and it's politicians always have their hand out for more money - while draining it's businesses and residents bone dry. When the pol titians see anyone or anything making money in this state - they tax it to death until it either leaves or dies penniless - just waiting for it's next taxable victim to come along. But hey - in the November elections - what changed in Trenton???? NOTHING. The people still voted for the same people who repeatedly tax us to death.

BTW - instead of punishing the Devils or other events taking place at the Prudential Center for the 5% surcharge, which they have nothing to do with and we would be forced to pay - I say don't support the businesses in Newark. If the businesses see a noticeable drop in customers then the businesses will get up in arms and the politicians will more likely be forced to revoke it.
    Why else would they allow the Sports Authority to sign a lease with the NJ Nets that penalizes them if they move to Newark, but no penalty if they go to Brooklyn? They say they want both arenas to succeed, but you know they will try to stack the odds against Newark. It's also ironic that the surcharge bill was approved by Newark legislator, Ronald Rice. If you boycott Prudential Center and the businesses around it, the only thing you'll be doing is playing into the hands of the Newark haters, who want this project to fail and will say, "See, we told you the arena in Newark was a bad idea!" I, however, will never set foot again in the Izod Center, or Giant stadium, nor will I go to Xanadu when it opens. Symbolically, I am sending a big "F.U" to the Sports Authority and any projects they are involved with. I will continue to attend Devils games in Newark, which, by the way, is a beautiful arena, and I will continue to support Newark in any way I can!! You're right, our politicians are supported by NY. It's called campaign contributions!!
    Last edited by beatman10; 03-12-2008 at 12:17 PM. Reason: didn't finish

New Jerseyan

I myself have NO plans to ever go back to the meadowlands, dont need too and dont want too! This year my wife, son and I have been to the Newark Museum, The Rock, and this Sunday afternoon we are going to a concert at the NJPAC. We always go to Hobbys Deli at some point when we are in Newark to get a corned beef sandwich. I would rather help a city (Newark) and people like the Devils owner who are pro Jersey then the idiots at the meadowlands who suck up to n.y. as much as possible. The Devils owner and Newark did a GREAT job promoting N.J. in the arena, it is great to see! I look forward to going to The Rock many times in the coming years, and seeing Newark continue to move forward with its rebirth!
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !