Thread: Why not be allowed to buy beer, wine in supermarket?

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Why not be allowed to buy beer, wine in supermarket?

I just read that New Jersey is considering changing the liquor licensing law to allow consumers to buy beer and wine in supermarkets. Since I left New Jersey in 1970, I was surprised to learn that New Jersey still inconveniences alcohol purchasers almost as badly as Utah!

One would assume that a state with as cosmopolitan and sophisticated a population as New Jersey would allow a shopper to buy his or her Cabernet Sauvignon or Pinot Noir to serve with dinner in the same store as the dinner ingredients. You can even do that in Wisconsin, for heaven's sakes!

When I read the article, however, I got the picture. Unlike Utah, which restricts alcohol sales for religious reasons, in New Jersey, it's all about money. The local liquor store owners don't want any competition.

When it come to laws related to alcoholic beverages, I'm strictly a free-market libertarian. I would favor the U.S. taking the European approach of moderate consumption and minimum purchasing restrictions.

Here's the link to the article:
    http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...ZxZWVFRXl5MjI=

P.S. Here in Florida, you can not only buy beer and wine in supermarkets, you can buy any and all alcoholic beverages: vodka, rum, etc.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 12-10-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Tourist

Thumbs up Retailers for Responsible Liquor Licensing

Visit our website at www.OneStopShopNJ.com to learn the facts about liquor licensing reform in New Jersey.

As members of the $84 billion retail food industry in New Jersey, we have created this website to show our support for efforts to change the current liquor licensing laws in New Jersey.

The current statutes, limiting food retailers to two licenses are antiquated and unfair. The American system is built on the principle of competition and open markets. New Jersey’s current laws do not follow that model, creating a disadvantage for many consumers who are looking for convenience and more importantly, choice.

Many misleading and false statements have been made on this issue to generate fear.

Let’s look at the facts:

• The proposed legislation does NOT increase the number of liquor licenses in the state. This measure simply opens the market for food retailers so that they may buy more than two liquor licenses when they become available.
    • This legislation will NOT dilute the value of the licenses – in fact it will increase their value as more competition enters the market.
    • Liquor stores will NOT go out of business. Currently, 43 states have fair and open markets and each has a thriving liquor store industry.
    • There will NOT be a negative effect on the three tier system.
    • The retail food industry provides well over 250,000 jobs in New Jersey. Retail food stores are known in every community to be excellent corporate citizens who give back to their community, as well as providing health benefits, retirement funding and educational opportunities.

Knowing all this, why would the state continue to punish this industry and not bring the laws of open competition for our citizens?

We fully support this measure and urge the legislature to support it as well.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Sounds reasonable to me

The above argument makes perfect sense to me. The idea of supermarkets stocking beer and also having separate liquor departments works well in Wisconsin and Florida, and would work well in New Jersey as well.