Thread: Went to Long Beach Island

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Went to Long Beach Island

I went to Long Beach Island yesterday. I had been there on numerous occassions, but really only for Barnegat Lighthouse. This time I went there for several things, in particular Surflight Theatre in Beach Haven. Frist I stopped off at Viking Village - be warned, going north there are no signs for it. I just knew it was on the bay side, because I had been there before. I basically kept looking left down the streets for the commercial fishing boats. They had the Nina in this weekend and I wanted to check her out. Everyone in America obviously learns about Columbus and the Santa Maria, Pinta and Nina. But what struck me the most was how small the ship was. I was expecting it to be much larger, but it's only 93.6 feet long. I got to talk to Owen, one of the crewmen who said that Viking Village was a really good stop for them and were getting a lot of traffic. He seemed really happy to be there and said that Ocean City Maryland, where they were before, they had hardly anyone interested in the ship.

Then it was off to the beach for a couple of hours. I went to Beach Haven, since I was going to be going to Surflight Theatre afterward. It was a really nice beach. Beach Haven is more tourist oriented than the other towns along LBI. There aren't any boardwalks along the beach of LBI, like there are on nmost of NJ and the beach is not as wide as in some areas, but it was really really nice and relaxing. I didn't see any life guards, and unlike at Seaside, you can play frizbee and football and things.

At around 6:30 it was time to go to Surflight Theatre. I was meeting Stacey who is an AboutNewJersey.com intern. She'll be doing write-ups for the site. We met at Show Place, which I have to tell you, it's definintely audience participation there. It was cool, but can be really embarrassing though. They do get the audience involved. For those who don't know - it's an old fashioned ice cream/soda shop where the waiters put on a show. The show is about 45 minutes long and during the summer, the line can be down the street and wrapped around the building they said. As for the ice cream, you would not believe the size of the things - they were huge.

After the show, we went to the Surflight Theatre opening gala. This was a preview of their upcoming summer season. The shows are great and the performance was great. I highly recommend that people check them out. At aorund 10:15 it was out to the patio for wine, cheese, sandwiches and to meet the actors. It was a great time.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile LBI

Hi JD,

It sounds like you had a great time! I've loved LBI since my family started taking me there in the summer of 1956, the year the Garden State Parkway was finished.

In the 1980s I wrote a series of four or five articles for Long Beach Island Magazine, which went out of business years ago. It was started by a real estate agent to promote sales of houses on the island.

I don't have the articles in electronic form, since they were originally typed on a typewriter, but I have printed copies of them. I am sure the copyright is no longer applicable, with both the magazine (and the real estate office) now defunct.

Someday, when I have time, I could re-key the articles and post them here.

JW

Getting the crab traps ready. Going down to Manahawkin (just off LBI) for ten days July 6th.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Default Hi Shanna

It looks like you did your homework! Very good snapshot of LBI!

Tourist

Default L.B.I

Long Beach Island has become a popular year-round tourist destination. There is much to do here every season.

Beach Haven is a lovely area in the lower portion of Long Beach Island, and is the most popular of all towns on the island.
    The island offers pretty beaches, fishing, swimming and outdoor concerts in the summer months.

Fantasy Island Amusement Park offers entertainment for all ages from thrill rides, live entertainment and a water park for the touristís attractions and sightseeing.

Quote Originally Posted by Warren James View Post
    Long Beach Island has become a popular year-round tourist destination. There is much to do here every season.

Beach Haven is a lovely area in the lower portion of Long Beach Island, and is the most popular of all towns on the island.
    The island offers pretty beaches, fishing, swimming and outdoor concerts in the summer months.

Fantasy Island Amusement Park offers entertainment for all ages from thrill rides, live entertainment and a water park for the touristís attractions and sightseeing.
    Nice summary. And I find your name interesting because not only do we share the same first name, but I was named after my Dad, whose middle name was James.

Tourist

I think you enjoyed lot at there