Thread: Election 2007

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Election 2007

Well today is election day and I'm surrounded by democrats. People need to vote, but damn - no the issues at least and understand the parties.

I got into it last night with someone. My problem is they they throw out these stupid liberal slogans or sayings and they don't even think if they are true or not or if they even make sense,

For instance they claim republicans are only for the rich. That's not true at all. Republicans believe in helping people up - not just giving handouts. But then again they seem resentful of people with money - as if they're "owed" something. I have to remember that this is just the way they are. I don't feel anyone "owes" me anything. I hope my hard work will pay off and get me the things I want, but I don't want the damn government punishing me for trying to make more money. Which is what the democrats do. I'm not jealous of people who have more than me, which often times they come off as being that way. Thus person's family is "religious" - at least they say that they can't believe I don't believe in god and stuff - but I know more about the bible than they do - I went to Catholic school for 10 years. One thing I told them yesterday - "You give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day. You teach a man to fish and he'll eat for a lifetime." That I feel is the difference between a democrat and a republican. Don't just give me money, teach me to make it own my own! Don't keep me tied down to the apron strings of the government.

Anyway - getting to the situation in New Jersey. I can NOT believe that with all the democrats under indictment. With all the *****ing and moaning about the high taxes and and everything. With the outrage over the probability that if the democrats get reelected the Parkway and Turnpike will be sold. Chances are still greater than anything that the tax and spend democrats will win the election. I feel like people in New Jersey are completely blind - just like my cousin. They ***** and moan - but in 20 years because of their ignorance of voting party line - New Jersey will be in a real mess.

Look at ballot measure 1- use a portion of the sales tax for property tax relief. Oh yeah - sounds good. All people seem to hear is "property tax relief". All it is a shell game. Instead of paying the taxes through property tax, I'm paying through sales tax - which Corzine initially justified raising it to 7% because of our budget debt (The Star Ledger estimated he raised our taxes 56% because of all the things that became taxable which previously weren't). Well the budget debt is still there, so how the hell are they going to get the money for the debt if they use part of it for property tax now????

Stem Cell Research - I do not believe it is the government's responsibility or purpose to give money like this away. I support stem cell research - but I think that NJ should be giving tax INCENTIVES to HIGH TECH companies in general. However, news flash - because of the anti-business stance of the democrats - namely under McGreevey - businesses don't want to move here and have been moving OUT of the state. Because of the high taxes that Corzine put in - people are LEAVING the state. Warehouses are popping up all over the place now - instead of the high tech companies New Jersey once was attracting.

Let me see - some of the things I have had said to me - -

1. Bush hates blacks (reasoning - so many people in Hollywood said it is so)
    2. Bush didn't care or do anything in New Orleans (Ignoring the fact that it is the governor and mayors job and that the president can not do anything with the national guard without the governor's approval)
    3. All people on welfare deserve to be on welfare and should never be required to work or encouraged to get jobs. (Reasoning - they're on welfare for a reason)
    4. Complaining that unemployment is high. (Unemployment figures were just released - 4.7% - which is historically low.)
    5. Minimum wage should be raised (This is AFTER I explain the economics of the minimum wage- if you raise the wage for the lowest tier people, you have to raise it for everyone above that person - companies then make a decision to either lay off people to cut costs, or pass the cost onto the consumer, so now the person who was just given a government mandated raise, has either lost their job or has to pay more for the things they were buying. Which defeats the purpose for the minimum wage hike to begin with)
    6. Gas is so expensive (This is ignores the fact that if you take in inflation, gas is still cheaper than what it was in the 1970's. Also, it ignores the global economics - such as China's and India's sucking up much of the oil and gas supplies. It's just easy to blame it on Bush and the Republicans.)

A lot of people's problems I think is complete ignorance of politics, history and economics. I have found that many democrats have no understanding of the states responsibilities or the federal government's. I can respect another's opinion, but back up your opinion with facts - not meaningless slogans.

BTW - funny how NY was a ****hole under Koche and the other democratic mayors. It took republicans to clean up New York (namely Giuliani) and make it the place it is today. And everyone knows how much I hate NY and their arrogant attitude toward New Jersey. However, New Jerseyans keep voting in democrats - keep *****ing about what they do and the high taxes and yet expect them to do something different.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

They sound like an idiot.
    I voted Republican across the board. This one of those times that the devil you don't know has to be better then the one you do.
    And I voted "NO" for all ballot questions.
    There are at least 6 other states that are doing stem cell research. The research is being done. There is nothing that says New Jersey has to be the one that leads the way on this. And $450,000,000 wont get us close to catching up to them. So, somewhere down the line, someone will want to spend more money under the premise that if we don't, then the original money will be wasted. It's best that this comes to an end before it starts. We can't afford the proposed current, or the inevitable future, expenses.

Quote Originally Posted by keymanjim View Post
    They sound like an idiot.
    They're not necessarily an idiot, just ignorant in the "not aware of the facts" kind of way. I do hate arguing with someone that can't back up their statements. I seem to always be surrounded by democrats for some reason. People who don't read the papers, understand history or follow politics, do have a way of falling back on the stupid slogans that both parties dish out. I think democrats come up with the most meaningless slogans though - like "NO Blood for Oil" crap. It just amazes me how people can base their opinions on what a bunch of people from Hollywood think. Just because they're famous doesn't make them any more knowledgeable. I bet hardly any of them understand economics.

I voted Republican across the board. This one of those times that the devil you don't know has to be better then the one you do.
    I wonder how many other people will see this. What has to happen is that the majority of independents have to be fed up with the current people in power and the taxes upon taxes to make the democrats lose the assembly and senate.
    And I voted "NO" for all ballot questions.
    I didn't vote no on all ballot questions. The one concerning the changing of the wording in the constitution isn't really going to cost us anything other than the reprinting of the constitution.
    There are at least 6 other states that are doing stem cell research. The research is being done. There is nothing that says New Jersey has to be the one that leads the way on this. And $450,000,000 wont get us close to catching up to them. So, somewhere down the line, someone will want to spend more money under the premise that if we don't, then the original money will be wasted. It's best that this comes to an end before it starts. We can't afford the proposed current, or the inevitable future, expenses.
    I think we need tax incentives, the government should not be investing our money in any particular kind of research. market forces should dictate that and will ultimately determine the best science in my opinion.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Well so far it seems as if New Jerseyans weren't taken in by the slick democrat commercials. Ballot measure 1 and 2 - which deals with using the sales tax for property tax relief and spending hundreds of millions of dollars to invest in stem cell research are both no votes. I'm hoping they stay that way.

I hope New Jerseyans want REAL property tax relief and will demand the legislators and governor to truly do something about property taxes - instead of merely moving the tax ball around.

New Jersey Proud!

Well - no matter how much the democrats tried to buy the votes in the 12th district they managed to still lose. Karcher spent about 2.2 MILLION dollars trying to get reelected - the money coming from the democratic machinery. While Beck spent only about $333,000 and still managed to pull out a 10 point victory. I guess it shows you - money doesn't mean much in an election. It can sometimes help - but it's no guarantee.

The sad thing is - I think we're stuck with the tax, tax and more tax democrats controlling the assembly and senate. All I have to say is - be prepared for the tolls going up on the parkway and turnpike. I'll have hear from people who claim to be democrats about how this state sucks because taxes just went up again and they raised the tolls.

News12 just said that Beck was outspent 6 - 1. Unbelievable.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

I'm not giving up.
    My guy may have lost down here in the 6th district, but I will still pressure Adler to lower the sales tax to 5%. They can replace and revenue loss with spending cuts. If he has a problem with understanding that, then I'll refer him the NJGOP web site. Then I'll work on having the cigarette tax lowered to no more that $1 a pack.
    Both of these things will serve to promote sales inside of our state instead of pushing them to other states.

Then we can look into I&R.