Thread: When I First Left New Jersey

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default When I First Left New Jersey

The day after Thanksgiving in 1970 I left New Jersey and have not lived there since. There were a variety of reasons for this decision, but most of them had to do with having to pay off a car loan for a car we no longer had. I thought living in Manhattan, where a car was more a burden than a necessity, would be a way to get out of debt and save up money for another car.

And, for the most part, the plan worked. With no car payments, insurance, or upkeep, we saved money easily. By 1972 we had a down payment and bought a nice 1972 Pontiac LeMans, which we kept in a garage in my mother-in-law's house in Glen Rock. (No way were we going to keep that car in the City!) My biggest mistake, then, was in accepting a job offer in Massachusetts instead of keeping my job in New York, moving back to New Jersey, and commuting.

During my first few months in New York, I got homesick for New Jersey a lot. (Hard to believe, isn't it? I was only across the Hudson River.) I worked for Bantam Books in the Tishman Building on 666 Fifth Avenue, on the 24th floor. Once I learned I could see across the Hudson River into New Jersey from that height, I sneaked peeks at New Jersey several times a day! I tuned in the radio I had in my office to WPAT in Paterson, which advertised lots of New Jersey businesses and products. (Shickhaus Franks comes to mind.) We started spending more and more weekends at my mother-in-law's in Glen Rock, and sometimes took the train to Point Pleasant or the bus to Lakewood to visit my family in Toms River.

Needless to say, I REALLY felt far from home after moving to Massachusetts in 1972. After every visit back, we'd spend the entire ride home talking about "moving back someday." Someday never came.

The height of my nostalgia for New Jersey came in the 1980s, when I took an interest in Bruce Springsteen's music. During that same period, I contributed several articles to (the now defunct) Long Beach Island Magazine.

I most likely will "return home" someday, but the time has not yet come.

New Jerseyan

Default HOME

Before you know it you will be back in good old N.J. and happy as a pig in ?
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !