Thread: Top Chef on Bravo does Newark Liberty International Airport

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Top Chef on Bravo does Newark Liberty International Airport

Tonights episode of Top Chef on Bravo is at Newark Liberty International Airport. Although it has nothing to do with the show - but with the airport - it really pisses me off that in the show they show the huge welcome banner. Does it say "Welcome to New Jersey" or "Welcome to Newark"? Hell no - it says "Welcome to New York/Newark" First of all - YOU' ARE NOT even in New York and people who fly in may not even be going to New York. I had never seen the banner before because it's in the Continental terminal I guess. Then Padma meets the contestants as they are getting off the plane and says "welcome to New York". Again you are NOT in New York - you are in Newark New JERSEY! No wonder why people think New Jersey is just part of New York!

The other thing - of course the prize for the competition is going to Manhattan - so basically all the contestants are *****ing about having to be in New Jersey - "when Manhattan is so close" as one contestant put it. I like Casey and at least she covered her butt by saying "not that don't like Jersey" or something like that.

Basically the contestants had to make first class airport meal for Continental which was then served on a Continental plane to flight attendants.

I really suggest people watch the episode. You can really tell that The Port Authority of New York AND New JERSEY is New York centric. Nothing in New York associated with the port authority is advertised as being part of New Jersey. Who even knows that the Twin Towers were partly owned by New Jersey?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Well if I was promised a trip to NYC and then was told I had to stick around an airport and sleep in an airport hotel, I would be mad - but it was the negative attitude to Jersey that got to me - that 'we're STUCK IN JERSEY' spin. This show had a pretty decent first season but is on a steep slide IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb
    Well if I was promised a trip to NYC and then was told I had to stick around an airport and sleep in an airport hotel, I would be mad - but it was the negative attitude to Jersey that got to me - that 'we're STUCK IN JERSEY' spin. This show had a pretty decent first season but is on a steep slide IMHO.
    Welcome back NJBarb. That's what got me - not that they were upset at being stuck at the airport. CJ for instance wanted "NY" Pizza and then made the snide comment about "like I'm going to find NY Pizza at Newark Airport" or something like that. He won't - but NY does not have a monopoly on that pizza - and you can find that style pizza throughout NJ. I don't find the NY pizzerias to be any better than NJ's.

It's funny though - you can see how the art of maerketing worked. Most of these people had never been to NY - and hence - most likely never been to NJ. They had preconceived notions of what NY is like and they had preconceived notions of NJ. NY was portrayed as the "promised land" and NJ was the desert they had to wonder through for 40 days and 40 nights.

BTW - they were never actually told they were going to NY before landing at Newark Liberty. See Continental does not put Newark on their tickets. The destination is listed as New York, at least it is on their website. So they assumed they were going to NY - when they could have been going anywhere in New Jersey - including Atlantic City.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

i saw the episode and i actually met Patima the host last week at the airport and asked her why the picked on NJ but she just laughed. She wouldnt tell me who the actual final winner is
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    i saw the episode and i actually met Patima the host last week at the airport and asked her why the picked on NJ but she just laughed. She wouldnt tell me who the actual final winner is
    Was she nice and did she buy any New JERSEY stuff? or was it more like "NJ sucks" attitude from her? The episode made it seem like there is NOTHING in New Jersey worth mentioning.

New Jersey Proud!

She was actually very nice she did not come into the store but said no harm was ment to Jersey.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    She was actually very nice she did not come into the store but said no harm was ment to Jersey.
    Okay - just checking. There was an undercurrent of "New Jersey isn't worth the time" from some contestants. Which did you know - the head judge on the show - is from New Jersey, as are several other chefs who have their own shows? I have to look up everyone's name in NJ Monthly.

BTW - did you mention AboutNewJersey.com to her? She may need to plan a trip to Cape May or Atlantic City. I'd give her free tours.

New Jersey Proud!