Thread: NJ challenges CA as solar energy capital of U.S.

Default NJ challenges CA as solar energy capital of U.S.

New Jersey challenges California as solar energy capital of U.S.

Washington, DC (March 23, 2004) The Solar Energy Industries Association (SEIA) today praised as "historic" New Jersey's initiatives that could help it overtake California as the nation's leading solar market. Last week, New Jersey finalized the nation's best renewable energy portfolio standard (RPS) for solar power, which calls for 90 megawatts of solar by 2008.

"New Jersey is positioning itself to become the clean energy capital of the United States," said Glenn Hamer, SEIA's Executive Director, who attended an event at the state capital in Trenton today to discuss the solar boom in New Jersey. "The state's new RPS will continue the explosive growth launched by the state's excellent consumer rebate program, which encourages homeowners, businesses and the public sector to deploy solar energy solutions."

New Jersey Governor James E. McGreevey and NJ Board of Public Utilities President Jeanne M. Fox have led the Garden State to embrace solar and other clean energy technologies. Recognizing New Jersey's abundant, idle rooftops as a prime location to generate new power for the state, they have put in place a set of incentives that will help clean the state's air while generating jobs for their constituents. The state is also developing a strong "net metering" law that will make it easy for solar users to connect to the grid and provide their excess electricity into the system.

"As New Jersey adopts these forward-thinking policies, Governor Schwarzenegger has promised to maintain California's pro-solar leadership," Hamer added. "Let's hope this bi-coastal battle of the titans shows other states and the federal government how to enhance our energy security while creating jobs here in America."

SEIA is the national trade organization representing solar electric and solar thermal manufacturers, component suppliers, and distributors.
    Here is a positive story about New Jersey. A great idea to help clean the air of the state and improve the long term electrical needs/costs of the state's residents.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    Here is a positive story about New Jersey. A great idea to help clean the air of the state and improve the long term electrical needs/costs of the state's residents.
    That's cool. The problem is - that unless New Jerseyans speaking out - the other states will still put out the negative erroneous stereotypes.

I get my power from Green Mountain which is renewable energy.

Lady ***** of the Forest

I think it's important that there be this type of friendly competition among states. California has been a one of the leaders in alternative fuels and renewable energy usage. It's nice that an east coast state is challenging them.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stephanie Plum
    I think it's important that there be this type of friendly competition among states. California has been a one of the leaders in alternative fuels and renewable energy usage. It's nice that an east coast state is challenging them.
    We are already the #1 state government which uses renewable energy.

Talking

I went to the Teacher Convention in Atlantic City on Thursday and Friday (NOV 9-10, 2006).

(In brief summary)
    There were many interesting workshops for people interested in improving themselves in the the pursuit of better education for all.

I attended workshops on including more writing into Geometry and How to improve Professional Development.

Many vendors with many interesting products (some not so interesting ) were there as well.

The coolest thing about driving to the convention was seeing the 5 wind mills as I drove along US 30 east. The windmills looked majestic in the distance as they turned. On Friday I barely paid any notice of them spinning, except when I was driving towards them.

I think wind mills would not be an eyesore and could help with the energy problem of the State (and the nation), especially when used with energy conservation.

(I think there was something mentioned about windmills in NJ, but I could not remember where i saw it and I could not find it with the search feature)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together