Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Why tourism is so important to the NJ economy

Thread: Why tourism is so important to the NJ economy

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Why tourism is so important to the NJ economy

I thought it was important to show people how much travel dollars contribute to our economy.

• 72 million visitors came to New Jersey in 2005, an increase of 4% over 2004.68% of them are from out of state;2% are from foreign countries;19% are in state travelers
    • NJ tourism revenue reached an all time high of 36.3 billion, 12% more than 2004.
    • For every $1.00 spent on tourism 71% of it stays in New Jersey
    • Tourists are staying longer and spending more,10.5% over 2004
    • May 13-21 2006 is See America week/National Tourism Week
    It's important for New Jerseyans to also remember, when you go to a museum outside the state, like NY, that money LEAVES the New Jersey economy and must be brougt back by a visitor. When a visitor comes to New Jersey and spends money, that is NEW money entering the state.

There is the slogan - "Buy America" - I would like to start the slogan - "Buy New Jersey" or "See New Jersey First". Instead of going to the Poconos - go to Mountain Creek. Instead of going to Central Park, go to Branch Brook Park.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Buy New Jersey

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    There is the slogan - "Buy America" - I would like to start the slogan - "Buy New Jersey" or "See New Jersey First". .
    I've been practicing that philosophy for years, though I must admit that my reasons for buying New Jersey products did not, a first, have anything to do with supporting the New Jersey economy.

I just learned that New Jersey products (especially food products) tended to be better than those made elsewhere!

I've already told the story of my long saga with Taylor Pork Roll, so I won't belabor the point and tell it again.

Being of half-Italian ancestry (the other half is Irish and German incidentally, these are the three largest ancestral groups in New Jersey) I was always sceptical of Italian food products that came from states with practically no Italians, like Nebraska. So I bought things like Buitoni pasta and Celentano frozen ravioli. Unfortunately, neither of these companies is New Jersey-based any longer. Buitoni was bought by Nestle's and consolidated with Nestle's Contadina divsion in Glendale, California, then moved to Ohio. And Celentano has left its original home in Verona to locate in upstate New York. However, Colonna grated cheese is still in North Bergen.

Sometimes, the reverse was true, however. Both Nabisco and Sunshine bakers (who made Sunshine Hydrox cookies) moved from New York to New Jersey. Nabisco is still there, but Sunshine went out of business.

Entenmann's bakers, originally in New York, moved its headquarters to New Jersey. For those of us who miss New Jersey bakery crumb cake, Entenmann's version is the next best thing.

My grandfather worked for over 30 years for Lipton Tea in Hoboken. They moved up the river to Englewood Cliffs, but are a company with a very old New Jersey tradition.

The Thomas' company (creators of the ORIGINAL English muffin) moved from New York to New Jersey many years ago. (They are also in Totowa, with Entenmann's, because both companies are owned by George Weston bakers, a Canadian company. However, their New Jersey presence is strong enough to qualify them as New Jersey companies.)

Then there is Lea & Perrins, in Fair Lawn, the U.S. branch of the English Lea & Perrins, who literally invented the original Worcestershire Sauce. For many years, no matter how broke I was, I refused to buy any English muffins other than Thomas' and any Worcestershire sauce other than Lea & Perrins. This reminds me: I haven't seen Thomas' corn toaster cakes since I left New Jersey. Do they still sell them there?

As time went on, however, I was also motivated to buy New Jersey products to help the New Jersey economy, as well as by the fact that things made in New Jersey aer generally good.

Oh, I almost forgot New Jersey blueberries. I have bought NJ blues in many states where I have lived. You generally get Florida blueberries in May, North Carolina in June, New Jersey in July, Massachusetts in August, and Maine and Nova Scotia in September. Michigan blueberries, popular in Wisconsin, generally ripen in mid-summer. Now I know I am prejudiced, but I think New Jersey blueberries are the best grown anywhere! They are big, plump, and sweet!

So I've been doing my best to help out the New Jersey economy for most of my adult life.

P.S. Have you seen the commercial for Pace Picante sauce where they make fun of the guy who buys salsa "made in New York City"? Though Pace is a Texas company, it is owned by Campbell's, headquartered in Camden, New Jersey!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 05-12-2006 at 08:59 AM.

New Jerseyan

Talking N.J. Travel

JD , I agree with you 100% about seeing and buying N.J. first . It is just like the way I support N.J. teams before out of state teams . In the last couple of years I have been keeping more of my leisure money in state and will do so again this year . My wife and I live 15 minutes from Waterloo Village which opens its season this weekend . Today in the Star - Ledger there is an article about Waterloo and it said the village is the largest museum of its type in the country featuring original historic buildings .I have never been there but will visit soon . My wife and I also started visiting the lighthouses in N.J. along the shore last year and will visit more this year and hopefully get to the Delaware Bay lighthouses in N.J. if not this year then next year . As we visit a lighthouse we also buy a replica .We also enjoy High Point State Park and Cape May , where lucky for me one of my sisters and brother in laws owns a house . We are expecting our first child in September and have started to buy washes and shampoos, J&J of course . All in all I feel I do a pretty good job of buying and seeing N.J. Oh and I cant forget I like to buy N.J. microbrews , now that is some good beer !
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Tourist

Not only for newJercy but tourism is helpful to any country's economy Because it brings in a lot of people who are willing to pay for things naturally found in that country, like fudge, and lava rocks. They pay for food, hotels, and other specialties at slightly higher prices than the natives would pay, as they are on vacation, and have money to burn, mostly. They then leave, and more come in, it creates jobs, and as long as there are a reason for people to come, then they will.

New Jerseyan

Tourism is so important because it is the only thing left to bring any money into the state - industry has been driven out by bad government and hi taxes - hospitals are closing drying up the medical jobs - bad govt on a national level has retail outlets struggling and closing up shop. Tourism is it -

I have met plenty of people who travel into NJ during all times of the year for the open mics. This is definitely good for NJ, because it is a different type of tourism that lasts all year and benefits the establishments hosting the open mic night.
    JerseyMic.com is FREE, and actually goes to open mics in NJ to take pictures and write reviews. An NJ open mic website that was started by a New Jerseyian for New Jerseyians and isn't annoying.

JerseyMic.com

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyMic View Post
    I have met plenty of people who travel into NJ during all times of the year for the open mics. This is definitely good for NJ, because it is a different type of tourism that lasts all year and benefits the establishments hosting the open mic night.
    Many New Jerseyans, including my cousins, complain that tourists ruin all the great attractions in New Jersey, including the clubs at the shore. I try to explain to them that without the tourists, most of their favorite places wouldn't even exist. It is the tourists during the summer where they make most of their money and enable them to pay the bills during the off season. New Jersey tourism does not have the luxury of a state like Florida where the tourism season is all year. Most of our attractions are seasonal and make most - if not all - of their money within four key months of the year (May, June, July & August).
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default JERSEY SHORE STORE

They Opened up a Jersey Shore Store in Times Square in NY to get people to come to the Jersy Shore. they do not sell anything but are promoting Jersey as a vacation spot
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Tourist

Default ?

When traveling, if your accomodations have (dresser) drawers for you to utilize, do you use them or "live out of your suitcase"?

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Excellent!

Quote Originally Posted by davegering View Post
    They Opened up a Jersey Shore Store in Times Square in NY to get people to come to the Jersy Shore. they do not sell anything but are promoting Jersey as a vacation spot
    I am very glad to learn about that!