Thread: Where do you think New Jersey needs more light rail systems?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Where do you think New Jersey needs more light rail systems?

Okay - NJ is the most densely populated state- and in general our public transportation is really quite good (although it seemed to be a little NY/Philly centric - it's all about getting people out of NJ and into those cities)

Anyway - I've thought a long time for where NJ needs more lightrail systems - and one place is the Jersey Shore. It would be great to have a lightrail system that goes from the Toms River Bus terminal - down Rt 37 to Seaside Heights, up to Pt Pleasant and to the PT Pleasant Train Station. It would be a huge draw with tourists and get them out of their cars and explore the different areas of the Barnegat Peninsula.

The other location I would like to see lightrail is Long Beach Island. I don't know if I would have it extend from the Parkway - but it should cover the 18 mile length of LBI. Again it would be a huge thing for tourists. When they want to go to Barnegat Lighthouse and they happen to be staying in Beach Haven - instead of getting in their car and contributing to traffic - they hop on the lightrail and head over.

I woudl recommend a much higher ticket cost than the $1.50 unlimited like the Bergen or the Riverlines have. People like clean, efficient public transportation - and it can be marketed as a tourist attraction. For one thing - kids love trains and there are actually very few places like NJ where trains are such a big piece of the transportation puzzle.

I know buses are cheaper - but they don't have the allure of a train - even a lightrail.

If we could - the best thing would be an above street monorail on LBI- can you imagine the fantastic views it would give you of the beach and everything? It would be as popular as the monorail in Walt Disney World. These would not be "commuter" transportation - but more tourist transportation and like I said - marketed as a tourist attraction.

So what are people's thoughts?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I think rail service can play an important part of the transportation infrastructure in NJ.

It can provide people with a means of traveling to different parts of the state without contributing to traffic and congestion.

Some concerns I have about any rail service:

Cost of service, convenience of service, potential for rail service contributing to bringing additional crime into a community.

There is some discussion on bringing rail service to Ocean, Monmouth, Middlesex counties.
    MONMOUTH-OCEAN-MIDDLESEX RAIL PROJECT

MONMOUTH OCEAN MIDDLESEX (MOM)

PROPOSED MOM RAIL ALIGNMENTS (3)

I do not think my last concern will be too significant, but I do think it needs to be addressed.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

From Lakehurst, there is thought of having some type of service to the local area including the beach and shopping areas of northern Ocean County.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Mithrandir - I'm really talking about Lightrail which is much different than rail service. Full rail service brings too much noise and often times pollution/trash to the area. I'm talking about something like the Riverline that runs from Trenton to Camden. It's clean, quiet and convenient. I loved to take the lightrail to Camden just for the fun of taking it. I think something like what be a huge thing during the summer months here.

What you are referring to is the connection with the Northeast Corridor line. That's not what I'm talking about at all. That's a full fledged rail line and does nothing to bring people to the shore anyway or move people around here. The last I heard - it would deadend at Lakewood. I think the money could be better spent.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

When we visited my brother in Newark several years ago, we took the Newark subway (which I didn't even know existed!) From there, PATH connects you to Manhattan.

It would increase the desireability of Newark as a place of employment (thereby stimulating business) if light rail from Newark ran to the surrounding suburbs in Essex, Union, and Hudson counties.

Then maybe another line running from Jersey City to Newark. Then maybe Jersey City to Paterson and Paterson to Newark.

This would probably revive these aging cities.

While we're at it, how about including Newark/Liberty Airport in the mix?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    When we visited my brother in Newark several years ago, we took the Newark subway (which I didn't even know existed!) From there, PATH connects you to Manhattan.
    That's bad because the Newark subway I believe is the second oldest in the country after New York's. For years though it had basically been non-functioning - they recently fixed it all up. There were some sadness with the old classic cars being taken off line and being replaced with modern ones. That shows you how many upgrades had been done the years - they were still running the original cars.
    It would increase the desireability of Newark as a place of employment (thereby stimulating business) if light rail from Newark ran to the surrounding suburbs in Essex, Union, and Hudson counties.
    Wait - you want our politicians to do what? Their eyes are on increasing the desirability of New York for businesses - not our cities. I do agree with you on that. The Bergen Lightrail has been extended northward and the Newark Lightrail is a big addition.
    Then maybe another line running from Jersey City to Newark. Then maybe Jersey City to Paterson and Paterson to Newark.

This would probably revive these aging cities.
    That would be great. I think they look at the fact that you can get the path to get to Newark.

While we're at it, how about including Newark/Liberty Airport in the mix?
    We have the Air Train that runs from the airport to the Newark Liberty International train station, from there you can get NJTransit train to go to Newark.It would be better though if they had lightrail direct.

That whole region needs a regional transportation plan - similar to what New York has with the MTA and the five boroughs. Sadly our politicians are more concerned with how to export our jobs to New York though and make it easier for people to take their money to New York, instead of worrying about the transportation systems of our cities and what is needed to attract workers and businesses to our inner cities.

Imagine what New Jersey could do with that billion dollars that our politicians are wanting to use to build the second rail tunnel into New York. Interestingly enough - the tunnel is being sponsored by the Port Authority of NEW YORK and new jersey. That's the way they should spell the port authorities name because New Jersey is taken advantage of and New York gets most of the benefits.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Imagine what New Jersey could do with that billion dollars that our politicians are wanting to use to build the second rail tunnel into New York. Interestingly enough - the tunnel is being sponsored by the Port Authority of NEW YORK and new jersey. That's the way they should spell the port authorities name because New Jersey is taken advantage of and New York gets most of the benefits.
    I remember for years growing up, it was called the Port of New York Authority. (Even though New Jersey paid for half of it!) I was glad when they changed the name to The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey, even though the name alone hasn't ceased to make New Jersey a junior partner in most people's eyes.

We have a long way to go, but this website is certainly helping push people in the right direction.