Thread: Corzine

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Corzine

Hi JD. It looks as if Corzine is allowing funds for schools. This is a positive sign. So maybe he is not all bad. lol. Apparently he has lowered the property taxes for some. But for the wealthy they may continue paying alot. By the way JD Gov Mcgreevley has a book coming out about his time in office. That should be interesting. lol. Marianita

In Case You Missed It

Corzine's Retreat
    Editorial | "Stand firm, Governor"

Published In THE PHILADELPHIA INQUIRER, Thursday, April 20, 2006

The office of governor in New Jersey is supposedly the most powerful in the country. So far, you wouldn't know it by Gov. Corzine.

Corzine's meekness was on full display in his mystifying vote of confidence for State Sen. Wayne Bryant (D., Camden). Bryant is reportedly under investigation by federal authorities for allegations concerning his former cushy, $38,200-a-year consulting job at the University of Medicine and Dentistry of New Jersey. While on the payroll for doing goodness-only-knows at the school, Bryant also secured millions in state funds for UMDNJ. He's chairman of the Senate Budget and Appropriations Committee.

That porky arrangement was in perfect keeping with Bryant's view of state government. Over the years, he has enriched himself and several members of his family at the trough of taxpayer-funded jobs and contracts.

The federal probe has prompted Republican calls for Bryant to give up his powerful chairmanship. Corzine at first trod where he need not have, saying that forcing out Bryant was "premature," and that accusations are not proof of wrongdoing. Apparently that wasn't good enough for Bryant, because Corzine soon issued a follow-up statement expressing confidence in Bryant's "leadership," and "respect" for the senator.

It was an unseemly act of kissing up, especially after Bryant had declared the governor's proposed budget dead on arrival. "This is not the budget I will be voting on June 30," Bryant huffed. Maybe Corzine still holds out hope of winning over the committee chairman in budget negotiations, but so far this political romance looks very one-sided.

He's only been governor three months, but it isn't comforting that so far Corzine is demonstrating a pattern of retreating at the slightest protest from the Legislature.

In his inaugural address, Corzine vowed to fight corruption and rebuked lawmakers for neglecting their fiscal duties. But when Bryant and Sen. Sharpe James (D., Newark) cried foul, Corzine backed down the next day and essentially apologized for being too harsh.

Sooner or later, the governor will need to stand up to such bullying. Taxpayers might accept Corzine's proposed sales tax increase, grudgingly, if they believe he is doing all he can to clean up financial waste. But it's hard to sweep the system clean while you're backpedaling.

# # #

Paid for by The New Jersey Republican State Committee
    150 West State Street, Suite 230 | Trenton, NJ | 08608
    Privacy Policy
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Default Gov.

Do I hear the word RECALL ?
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

It sounds as if Corzine respects Bryant inspite of the fact that he is under investigation for some shady dealings. I think Corzine wants everyone to like him so he backed down and apologized. But if Bryant has enriched himself with taxpayers money that makes one wonder about Corzine. He has already shown that he does not know where to begin with the property taxes and other issues.Now he shows approval for someone whose integrity is dubious to say the least, that is if it turns out to true.It is interesting to note that in the three months Corzine has been govenor, his popularity has plummeted. Peope are seeing promises not kept and things not getting done. The tax situation is the worst in the nation and that needs to be a priority. Well, we'll see. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hey Jersey Devil. Guess what. It seems that Corzines plan to for self serve at gas stations has ,''run out of gas.'' heeheehee. He received 1,400 complaints , more complaints then about property taxes. I think the article said about 7 times more complaints. Well that's good because I think the idea was bad and would definitely put people out of a job. So I guess he'll have to think of something else. lol. Marianita

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Marianita - I had to combine these threads. You already started a Crozine thread.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Devil, sounds good to me. I read in the times that Corzine himself admitted the idea of self serving gas stations was a bad idea , that was after he received all those emails complaining.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I am SERIOUSLY becoming amazed. How many taxes can Corzine come up with? Does some college offer PHD in taxing? NJN News just had on how he's now proposing a bed tax on hospitals. I didn't expect much else form him, but come on - I had hopes that maybe, just maybe there was a slim chance - he wouldn't simply resort to taxes to solve the budget deficit. The really sad part is - we have 4 years left of him, If he doesn't get one of his taxes in this year, I'm sure it will be back up next year. But don't forget - he has no problems with supporting the $6 billion NY tunnel to take jobs and employees out of NJ and into NY. That is REALLY good for the New Jersey economy. :rolls:
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hi Jersey Devil, I hope you have read the latest issue of New Jersey Monthly. If not, please do so. Universities have been cut. The article is titled,''Budget cut like a knife.''Now take Rutgers University for example: They face a $114 million budget shortfall. Ofcourse you know this is terrible.Higher education is what prepares people to go out in the world and earn a living. I hate to think what the results will be. And with Corzine still having 4 years to go, it boggles the mind what else he will do. I see that the property taxes which he promised to cut are still very high. Now with a mulit billion dollar deficit, and someone who does not know what to do about it, it does not bode well for our state. He has thought up some weird things like having people pump their own gas,(fun when it's snowing) and would have caused people to lose their jobs had it gone through. Education is a must these days but how many will be denied that privillidge now? Unfortuantely, many. I realize that the deficit was there when he took office but others have faced deficits and handled them. And the way Corzine is handling things it will affect many lives but not in a positive way. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Corzine is a joke , a one term gov. and should be recalled if possible. ( thank God I did not vote for him)!
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hi Jersey Warren, I didn't vote for him either or rather I would not have and my son didn't either because he had a feeling he shouldn't.That is a an interesting article in the Phillidelphia Inquirer, very interesting. It seems that Corzine had something in mind when he retreated from the Legislature. As for taxing things, Corzine has taxed everything he can think of and may even find more to tax. It will be difficult to live in the Garden state but you know something? He can be ousted. It happened here. Why on earth would he want to support something that would make people move to NY? You would think he would want the economy to flow through New Jersey. This gets stranger all the time. Marianita