View Poll Results: How would you rate the NJ Rest Stops to other states? (Please post your explanation)

Voters
2. You may not vote on this poll
  • Excellent

0 0%
  • Good

0 0%
  • Fair

1 50.00%
  • Below Average

0 0%
  • Disgusting

1 50.00%

Thread: Condition of New Jersey Rest Areas and Information Centers

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Condition of New Jersey Rest Areas and Information Centers

I am disgusted with the condition of the NJ Rest Areas. Many are managed by HMS hosts.

Now I brought this situation up at the Shore Region board meeting this past week. One of the responses I got was "well we don't send our brochures to them" or "those aren't state managed, those are contracted". I tried to explain that whether it's a state information center or an outside managed rest area - to the visitor it's all the same. It's a reflection on New Jersey. I couldn't believe what I was hearing at a tourism meeting - don't people get that everything is connected to tourism. Tourism is an image industry. Everything has a reflection on the state and hence on people's decisions as to whether they wish to consider visiting here. For instance - the Turnpike Toll Booth at Exit 14B has a reflection on Liberty State Park - because technically it is the ENTRANCE to Liberty State Park. The road is potholed and everything.

As far as NJ rest stops go however, in my opinion - the Edison rest stop is the worst one. The brochures in the brochure rack are usually all over the place - they don't have any NJ ones, the parking lot is usually strewn with trash - people seem to be incapable of using a trash can. This is a reflection on New Jersey. My father and I stopped at the one at Exit 100 on the parkway and the parking lot was a complete mess. Trash all over the place. I didn't go inside. I should have - but I've been disgusted with the condition of our rest areas for some time..

I would like people to please stop off at rest areas - take pictures, and post about your experiences.

These are things to look for
    1. Condition of parking lot
    2. Friendliness of staff
    3. Condition of the food.
    4. Condition of Information racks
    5. Do they have NJ brochures or mostly out of state?
    6. Cleanliness of interior
    7. Merchandise - is it New Jersey related or mostly out of state?

These are things that I look for. For some people - this is the first and sometimes only impression of NJ.

I came up with an analogy. You're driving along, and your looking for a hotel to stay at - one is overgrown with weeds, trash littering the parking lot, signs not properly working. The one next to it is beautiful. Everything is well kept, and clean. So which one are you going to stop at and request a room?

Now, unbeknown to you, the place that was a disaster on the outside, had all these fantastic things on the inside and was beautiful. Five star restaurant, jacuzzi, beautiful pool with a fantastic garden.

Now you may ask how this analogy applies to NJ - well if your driving through the state and you stop at a rest area that is a disaster area and service is rude - are you ever going to think about vacationing here? What kind of impression do you think this has on potential visitors?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

THe rest areas (visitors booths) at the beginning (or end) of the GSP exit 172 and I-295 near DEL MEM Bridge were very good.
    They had information about local events in NJ.
    It has been several years since I stopped by these places.

The one about exit 100 on GSP was ok. I did not notice anything spectacular or bad about them.
    It has about 2 years since I stopped by this place.

The 3 Rest areas along I-95 in DE(1) and MD(2) are above average.
    They are usually clean and have plenty of local information.

Along I-95 the visitors booths in VA, NC, SC, GA were very good and clean.
    (at least they were back in 1995.)
    =================================================

AS a whole:
    1. Condition of parking lot
    (good in most cases)
    2. Friendliness of staff
    Fine in my experience.
    3. Condition of the food.
    Food I have had has been average to good.
    4. Condition of Information racks
    Usually neat.
    5. Do they have NJ brochures or mostly out of state?
    In the respective states I usually looked for local brochures and ignored anything else.
    6. Cleanliness of interior
    average to very clean
    7. Merchandise - is it New Jersey related or mostly out of state?
    I usually do not look for state merchandise so I cannot really give a good opinion.

In NJ I usually us rest areas for restrooms or fuel.
    Out of state I will also use the rest areas for rest and information.
    Last edited by MITHRANDIR; 08-25-2007 at 11:24 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Mithrandir -

You were just rating the NJ rest areas - right? I was just wondering. I think he northern NJ rest areas are in worse shape than the southern ones. I've stopped off at some southern ones - like Clara Barton and they are much better. Closer you get to NY - the dirtier they seem to get.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Mithrandir -

You were just rating the NJ rest areas - right? I was just wondering. I think he northern NJ rest areas are in worse shape than the southern ones. I've stopped off at some southern ones - like Clara Barton and they are much better. Closer you get to NY - the dirtier they seem to get.
    The bottom part only refers to NJ rest areas.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together