Thread: Monopoly May Remove Atlantic City!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs down Monopoly May Remove Atlantic City!

First the Miss America pageant which started as a local Atlantic City event to extend the tourist season moved to Las Vegas.

Now Parker Brothers may come out with new editions of Monopoly without the traditional Atlantic City street names! (Though they may still sell a "classic" version with the original street names.)

I read about this in today's (April 28th) New York Times online.

This is terrible news!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    First the Miss America pageant which started as a local Atlantic City event to extend the tourist season moved to Las Vegas.

Now Parker Brothers may come out with new editions of Monopoly without the traditional Atlantic City street names! (Though they may still sell a "classic" version with the original street names.)

This is terrible news!
    I was going to post about this a couple of days ago, but I didn't get around to it. Today I received an e-mail from the Shore Region Tourism Council - I guess the Atlantic City Convention and Visitors Bureau started a petition to keep AC in the game. Help Keep Atlantic City on the Board petition

I encourage EVERYONE to sign the petition!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren

This is terrible news!
    I thought the already made special "monopoly" games.

(ie. Yankeeopoly, Princetonopoly, etc.)

It would be disappointing since Monopoly is based on Atlantic City.

(I am having trouble following the link. They may have server issues.)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    I thought the already made special "monopoly" games.

(ie. Yankeeopoly, Princetonopoly, etc.)

It would be disappointing since Monopoly is based on Atlantic City.
    The difference between those and this new version is that those are just "special edition" ones - this new one is to become the new official Monopoly game.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

This was on CNN.com...

Special edition Monopoly forecloses on Boardwalk
    Thursday, May 18, 2006; Posted: 7:44 a.m. EDT (11:44 GMT)

ATLANTIC CITY, New Jersey (AP) -- First, Miss America dumped Atlantic City. Now Monopoly has too.

The maker of the popular board game doesn't plan to include Atlantic City's Boardwalk property in a special edition scheduled to be released late this summer.

Monopoly maker Hasbro Inc. confirmed its plans in a letter Tuesday to New Jersey civic leaders, who launched a petition drive to keep the property in the new game.

The original version -- in which Boardwalk is the most expensive and prestigious property -- will still be sold.

In the "Monopoly: Here & Now Edition," the game board will feature streets, neighborhoods and national monuments from 22 U.S. cities.

The cities, picked by Hasbro based on population, popularity as tourist destinations and input from the company's game designers, include Chicago, Illinois; San Francisco, California; and New Orleans, Louisiana.

The Pawtucket, Rhode Island-based company said it would try to include Atlantic City in some way in the new game. One possibility is through the Chance and Community Chest cards, although no decision has been made.

Last year, organizers of the Miss America pageant announced plans to move the contest to Las Vegas after 84 years of crowning beauties on the Boardwalk.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Smile monopoly, the gamble is over?

Well, this is one game that most of us have heard of about in one way or the other. We all love the lod classic game and today there are so many versions of it that one really does not know which one is the real one anymore. as for taking atlantic city off the game, well, the parkers woud probably substitute vegasfor it.