Thread: The New Jersey Condiment Rules

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default The New Jersey Condiment Rules

I participated in a food discussion board for about 5 years. Because people posted on the board from all over the U.S. (and also Canada and Australia) their regional tastes affected their food preferences. As a lark, I created what I called the New Jersey Condiment rules, which all loyal native New Jerseyans were expected to observe:

mustard goes on pink meat (such as ham, bologna, and hot dogs)

mayonnaise goes on white meats such as chicken and turkey, tuna, and potato and noodle salad.

ketchup goes on hamburgers, French fries, and (possibly) meatloaf and cube steak sandwiches.

I told the other board members that if you broke the New Jersey condiment rules (such as by putting mayo on pink meat) they charged you double tolls on the Garden State Parkway!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    ~~~~
    I told the other board members that if you broke the New Jersey condiment rules (such as by putting mayo on pink meat) they charged you double tolls on the Garden State Parkway!
    Sorry JW - I have to disagree with this one. I agree, while growing up, I was basically the ONLY one in 2nd grade who put ketchup on their hotdog, now many New Jerseyans do (they all followed my lead). I was born and raised here and I'm a proud hotdog/ketchup eater.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Smile My wife a ketchup on hot dog eater!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Sorry JW - I have to disagree with this one. I agree, while growing up, I was basically the ONLY one in 2nd grade who put ketchup on their hotdog, now many New Jerseyans do (they all followed my lead). I was born and raised here and I'm a proud hotdog/ketchup eater.
    My wife, a native of Lynn, Massachusetts who lived in New Jersey twice in the 60s and 70s is also a ketchup on a hotdog eater. She simply does not like mustard at all!

By the way. do they still make Pride of the Farm ketchup? My mother always bought that brand when I was a kid. It came from Bridgeton, NJ, in the heart of Jersey tomato country.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

By the way. do they still make Pride of the Farm ketchup? My mother always bought that brand when I was a kid. It came from Bridgeton, NJ, in the heart of Jersey tomato country.
    If they do, I haven't seen it. They may sell it in southern NJ though. I'll look beause whenever possible I try to buy New JERSEY products, especially farm products because it helps our farmers keep the farms going.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Mustard and Ketchup always go on an Italian Hot Dog.

Recent Resident

I participated in a food discussion board for about 5 years. Because people posted on the board from all over the U.S. (and also Canada and Australia) their regional tastes affected their food preferences. As a lark, I created what I called the New Jersey Condiment rules, which all loyal native New Jerseyans were expected to observe:

mayonnaise goes on white meats such as chicken and turkey, tuna, and potato and noodle salad.

ketchup goes on hamburgers, French fries, and (possibly) meatloaf and cube steak sandwiches.

If I follow the rules, do I belong?

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren View Post
    My wife, a native of Lynn, Massachusetts who lived in New Jersey twice in the 60s and 70s is also a ketchup on a hotdog eater. She simply does not like mustard at all!

The ketchup may no longer be around, but someone is selling a couple of their old bottles. You can see "Bridgeton, N.J." on the labels.

http://www.ebay.com:80/itm/ws/eBayIS...ectorid=229466

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren View Post
    the New Jersey Condiment rules:

Except for tuna, I do not care for mayonnaise. Mustard is fine with white meats or tuna.

Hot dogs are fine with ketchup or mustard.

I guess I'll get stuck with high tolls. Good thing I can avoid many of them with careful planning.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together