Thread: Best Place to Live in NJ

Tourist

Default Best Place to Live in NJ

Let me first say a few words about this site. When I discovered the forum, I was blown away by how nice and comfortable it is. Eventhough I currently live in Brooklyn, I felt home here.

I cannot wait to move from Brooklyn to NJ and, therefore, have the following advice to ask from you guys - what would be some examples of the best place to live in NJ?

I work in midtown NYC and currently consider two areas to move to - Union and Bergen counties. The towns in question are: the Roselles, Cranford, Linden, Westfield, Clark (Union) and Fort Lee, Teaneck, Hackensack, Leonia, Ridgefield (Bergen). I don't know much about the 2 areas but I like the fact that there are lots of coops/condos [that I prefer] near Fort Lee and Hackensack. Are there any disadvantages in towns and counties that I mentioned? In terms of crime, school systems, etc. how different are they? Are there better alternatives within the same distance from NYC?

What is it like to commute from Union county (railroad) and Fort Lee area (bus, i think?) How safe is the bus terminal at 180th st in NYC?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Midiman
    Let me first say a few words about this site. When I discovered the forum, I was blown away by how nice and comfortable it is. Eventhough I currently live in Brooklyn, I felt home here.
    Midiman - thank you very much and welcome. That is what we are all about here, making people feel at home. Except for the routine spam bot, we've never had to take any action because of flaming. As the board builds up, I'm sure issues will arise, but we intend to keep it this friendly atmosphere, even if people disagree with one another.
    I cannot wait to move from Brooklyn to NJ and, therefore, have the following advice to ask from you guys - what would be some examples of the best place to live in NJ?

I work in midtown NYC and currently consider two areas to move to - Union and Bergen counties. The towns in question are: the Roselles, Cranford, Linden, Westfield, Clark (Union) and Fort Lee, Teaneck, Hackensack, Leonia, Ridgefield (Bergen). I don't know much about the 2 areas but I like the fact that there are lots of coops/condos [that I prefer] near Fort Lee and Hackensack. Are there any disadvantages in towns and counties that I mentioned? In terms of crime, school systems, etc. how different are they? Are there better alternatives within the same distance from NYC?

What is it like to commute from Union county (railroad) and Fort Lee area (bus, i think?) How safe is the bus terminal at 180th st in NYC?
    Sorry, I can't help you so much with what these areas are like. However, I was curious if you've considered Hoboken. I know someone who lives there and I've heard a lot of good things about that city. Jersey City is also another place that is good, but possibly these two areas have much higher apartment costs.

You may also consider westward, like around Morris also. I know Morristown has good train service into NY.

So what's brought you to the Great State of New Jersey? Are you all set to get your New Jersey license and take your oath of allegiance to the state?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I'm in the North Jersey area and a few of those mentioned have some high crime rates like Hackensack & Fort Lee . They have nice sections near the high rises but I wouldn't tour the city an night . Rutherford is a decent little town that has direct train access , might be a bit pricey not too sure. Sometimes best bet is to google images of those town to get an idea and look at the crime rates etc. After living in the city for a while I like the tree lined streets with friendly people walking around at night and not the other element now , not sure whatkind of hood' your looking to move too? Either way welcome

Tourist

I'm a recent college grad just starting on my new job and am being relocated to New Jersey. I'm really interested in living in Hoboken as I have heard a lot of good things about it. Does anyone have any recommendations as far as finding a roommate/apartment? Also, are there any other fun cities I should check out?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Welcome mcb0907. Hoboken has become a good place. I havent been there much, but aI know about the restaurants and I "know" someone who lived there.

Where have you been located to exactly and what type of things do you enjoy doing? That is the big thing when trying to find a place or get recommendations from people. Newark is going through a reviatlization, but it's still sort of the inbetween stage as to whether it should eb recommended or not. We do have a member here who can tell you all about Newark, maybe he can shed some light on that city. You may consider looking at New Brunswick - which is further south. Rutgers University is located there, so for a recent graduate, it might have a lot of what you are looking for.

BTW - I was wondering where you are moving from and what yoru thoughts are on NJ. I always like to get the stats on these things.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!