View Poll Results: How should we refer to the geographical sections of New Jersey?

Voters
12. You may not vote on this poll
  • North Jersey & South Jersey

6 50.00%
  • northern New Jersey & southern New Jersey

6 50.00%
  • suburb of Philadelphia & suburb of New York

0 0%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: North versus South

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default North versus South

I've alluded to this in previous posts and now I think it's finally time that I posted a thread solely on the discussion of this ridiculous "north versus south" attitude New Jerseyans have. I was looking at the Trentonian today and it just completely makes my blood boil that in the sports articles that the Devils are reported as if THEY ARE the "foriegn" team, while it's all about the flyers. Let me ask you, how many tax dollars does the Flyers bring into NEW Jersey, compared to the Devils?

Now you may be wondering - what does the Flyers versus the Devil have to do with the North/South divide of New Jersey. Well this is a prime example of the division in NJ. SouthERN NEW Jersey will assoicate with a FOREIGN team that pays no taxes to NJ, does not help out our economy at all, while being completely unsupportive of the team that does.

In the artilcle there were several things that irritate me, irritate me so much in fact that I have called the sports room and am waiting for a call back. The biggest, number ONE irritant is the ridiculous North Jersey name - they even CAPTALIZE the "N".. Now tell me - can anyone find North Jersey on a map? When did North Jersey become a proper name? For that matter, when did South Jersey become a proper name? When did our state seperate and become two different entities (besides when it was East and West Jersey during colonial times). This is a NEW Jersey newspaper and they are incorrectly capitalizing the N in north.

Some people may think that my rant is a little over the top, but this is one of the key reasons why we have such a low sense of pride in our state. As some one has stated before, Philadelphia and NY have a divide and conquer plan for New Jersey and our politicians, our newspapers (which besides radio is the ONLY LOCAL media we have here) allow this to continue and in many cases perpetuate this problem.

We have to stop fighting against ourselves. I have heard so many people - even at NJ Travel events say they were South Jerseyan or North Jerseyan and stick up their nose at the other part of the state - we are ALL NEW Jerseyans. Some just happen to live in the southERN or northERN part of NEW Jersey. I refuse to say North Jersey or South Jersey and I hope that all proud NEW Jerseyans will stop using those ridiculous names. Support your home state, Spending your tax dollars in NY or Philadelphia does absolutely NOTHING for NJ - other than to take your money and give it to another state. If you want to lower taxes in NJ, start supporting NJ and stop acting like we're just connections of NY and Philly.

I travel all over the state, from the mountains of the northwest section, to the cities of Newark and Jersey City, to the beautiful towns of Princeton and Cranbury, to Salem and Camden along the Delaware, to Seaside Heights and Atlantic City on the ocean and down to the southern most tip of Cape May. NJ is a great and beautiful state. I recommend to ALL New Jerseyans to explore this state, take a road trip to a new location that you have never been to. If you live in sourthern NJ, take a trip to the Newark Museum or to hike along the Delaware Water Gap. If you live in northern NJ, check out the pristine wilderness of the Pine Barrens, check out the USS New Jersey (instead of complaining that it should have been placed in Jersey City), check out the Hancock House. Finally I recommend that ALL New Jerseyans support OUR hometown teams!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Lightbulb

(I vote for neither)

I actually use
    north, (North of New Brunswick, IMO)
    central (Between New Brunswick and northern Ocean/Burlington Counties)
    and
    south (South of southern Ocean/Burlington counties)
    to better describe the geographic regions of the state.

If someone asked I would say I am from New Jersey.

If they wanted more detail, then I would help them by being more specific. (usually by saying where I am in relation to AC, NYC and/or PHL.)

IMO,
    I think part of the reason for the divided nature (regardless of the silliness of it) is that many people in southern NJ moved from the PHL area and that many people in northern NJ moved from the NYC area.

They have not fully accepted that they are now living in another state.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    (I vote for neither)

I actually use
    north, (North of New Brunswick, IMO)
    central (Between New Brunswick and northern Ocean/Burlington Counties)
    and
    south (South of southern Ocean/Burlington counties)
    to better describe the geographic regions of the state.
    I use northern NJ, central NJ and southern NJ. South and North describe political entities more than geographical.

If someone asked I would say I am from New Jersey.
    I always only say I'm from New Jersey, but if someone asks where something is - then I say something like "that's in southern New Jersey".

If they wanted more detail, then I would help them by being more specific. (usually by saying where I am in relation to AC, NYC and/or PHL.)
    I try to leave out any reference to NY or Philadelphia - it reinforces the "New Jersey is just a surburb" stereotype.
    IMO,
    I think part of the reason for the divided nature (regardless of the silliness of it) is that many people in southern NJ moved from the PHL area and that many people in northern NJ moved from the NYC area.

They have not fully accepted that they are now living in another state.
    I have to disagree with you on this one. I have seen people in the tourism industry - in this case representing a southern NJ attraction, get on another southern New Jersey representatives case for wearing a New JERSEY Devils baseball hat. They calimed they should be wearing a Flyers hat. Both were New Jerseyans and represented New Jersey attractions.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile North(ern) vs South(ern) New Jersey

I think I am impartial because I love all parts of the Garden State. And the male members of my family were not transplants, but native New Jerseyans. (Though the female members were transplants from New York.) To the best of my knowledge, members of my family have lived in New Jersey continuously since sometime before 1900.

Though I grew up in Bergen County and lived for 9 years within walking distance of Rockland County, New York, my family were always Shore people. (That's one distinction I do make, Northern New Jersey (or even "North Jersey," simply as verbal shorthand; I never use that term in writing) as opposed to the Shore. (Which I tend to capitalize because it's a specific regional place, just as people in Massachusetts capitalize the Cape, short for Cape Cod.)

In my mind, when you cross over the The Driscoll Bridge over the Raritan River on the Parkway, you are "Down the Shore," which extends to Cape May. I think of the Raritan River as New Jersey's equivilent of the Cape Cod Canal.

However, all those names are just handy geographic labels I've created for my own convenience, because being an overly compulsive type, I like neat pigeonholes to categorize everything. I never thought of New Jersey as having two separate cultures, like the cultures that exist north and south of the Mason-Dixon line. Now New Jerseyans and Texans — those are two REALLY separate cultures!

When the rest of my family (I was already married and didn't go with them) moved to Toms River in 1968, I envied them because they were so close to the beaches — and ever since I was a kid, we spent many summer weekends on Long Beach Island or Point Pleasant Beach, etc. My mother said that Ocean County people were more casual than Bergen County people because the beach lifestyle called for it, but they were basically the same people. Toms River is as heavily Italian and Irish as Jersey City used to be.

My mother bought the Ocean employment agency around 1970 and operated it until just a couple of years ago. She said every week people came into her office from Bergen or Hudson counties, looking for a new job and a new start. She used to joke that eventually half the people from "up North" would move to Ocean County. Considering that the population of T.R. increased from about 10,000 to 85,000 in 30 years, she probably had something.

Most of the time, when I go back to New Jersey, I visit family at the Shore and old friends in Bergen County. I enjoy both places and the people in both places. I'd hate to see a San Francisco-L.A. type of rivalry start in New Jersey because, I , for one, would never take sides.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-18-2006 at 02:18 PM.

New Jerseyan

Default Jersey

I for 1 always say North Jersey or South Jersey simply because it is easier to say than Northern or Southern Jersey . I am a civil war reenactor , the unit my friends and I portray is a N.J. unit recruited in 1862 in South Jersey. I live in North Jersey , most of my friends in the unit live in South Jersey . We are all proud to portray brave N.J. men where ever we are from ! We never say we are from North or South Jersey , but we are from New Jersey and proud of it ! We are JERSEYMEN one and ALL !
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs up New Jerseyan and Jerseymen

Another thing I like about this site is that people here use flattering (and correct) nouns to describe residents of the Garden State. I never liked the sound of New JerseyITE (sounds like Trotskyite!) but some people (probably the same ones who say "Joisey") persist in using that antiquated term.

I first encountered the term New Jerseyan in the pages of New Jersey Monthly about 30 years ago. I am glad that usage has taken hold.

I also like Jerseymen, a term I believe goes back to colonial times. Texans are always bragging that they were an independent "country" for ten years after seceding from Mexico and joining the United States. But, in reality, each of the 13 colonies were independent states (synonomous with countries in international usage) from the time of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 until the implementation of the Constitution in 1788.

My youngest brother, Glenn, was only 5 when my family moved to Toms River. My mother used to teasingly refer to him as a "Piney"!

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I for 1 always say North Jersey or South Jersey simply because it is easier to say than Northern or Southern Jersey . I am a civil war reenactor , the unit my friends and I portray is a N.J. unit recruited in 1862 in South Jersey. I live in North Jersey , most of my friends in the unit live in South Jersey . We are all proud to portray brave N.J. men where ever we are from ! We never say we are from North or South Jersey , but we are from New Jersey and proud of it ! We are JERSEYMEN one and ALL !
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-19-2006 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    Another thing I like about this site is that people here use flattering (and correct) nouns to describe residents of the Garden State. I never liked the sound of New JerseyITE (sounds like Trotskyite!) but some people (probably the same ones who say "Joisey") persist in using that antiquated term.
    Another one of my pet peeves. I even wrote to Gaico because they use "Jerseyite" in their commercials. I asked them if they were aware that most New Jerseyans find that term to be deragatory. They never responded. I do have a thread discussing New Jerseyan versus New Jerseysite you should look at. My mother hated the term also.
    I also like Jerseymen, a term I believe goes back to colonial times. Texans are always bragging that they were an independent "country" for ten years after seceding from Mexico and joining the United States. But, in reality, each of the 13 colonies were independent states (synonomous with countries in international usage) from the time of the Declaration of Independence in 1776 until the implementation of the Constitution in 1788.
    I always try explaining this concept to non-Americans in other countries. They look at the US as "just the US" and don't realize that we are no different really than the EU and that at one point in time WE collectively decided to join together to form a "more perfect union". many seriously don't think our state borders matter at all. (off topic )
    My youngest brother, Glenn, was only 5 when my family moved to Toms River. My mother used to teasingly refer to him as a "Piney"!
    Hey - I loved growing up on the outskirts of the Pine Barrens (Bricktown). I loved going into the woods and searching for the Jersey Devil.

BTW - I have noticed a definite division in our state "north versus south" - I hope everyone here will combat that and let people know that NJ has to come first. Philadelphia and NY do not contribute to the NJ economy, except when people visit here. Northern New Jersey and southern New Jersey should be working together to help promote all of New Jersey.

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I always try explaining this concept to non-Americans in other countries. They look at the US as "just the US" and don't realize that we are no different really than the EU and that at one point in time WE collectively decided to join together to form a "more perfect union". many seriously don't think our state borders matter at all. (off topic )
    You would not be thinking of a certain internet mapper.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I try to leave out any reference to NY or Philadelphia - it reinforces the "New Jersey is just a surburb" stereotype.
    Fair point. Although many people are more familiar with PHL and/or NYC than most towns/cities in NJ.

I will make an effort to leave NYC and PHL in the future.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jerseyan

Default As a kid, I grew up in West Orange(north).

I spent my teen years in Point Pleasant Beach(central) and now I live outside of Atlantic City(south). I really didn't run into all that north/south stuff until I moved to Atlantic County. People relocate here from Pennsylvania and are not interested in anything above the Mullica River. They believe ALL their tax money goes north and if "South Jersey" would secede, all that money would stay south. I tell them the most powerful man in NJ, George Norcross, lives in Cherry Hill and that NY and PA would probably annex NJ if the state were to divide.
    I've said in the past, state politicans use the north/south thing to reneg on their campaign promises. They want to keep us blaming each other for high taxes so we don't go after the real culprits, the politicans. Also NY and PHL love it because it keeps us under their influence, buying their newspapers, going to their theatres, rooting for their teams, etc. If someone gives me a hard time about wearing a NJ Devils shirt, I tell them to get some state pride and get their heads out of Philly's a$$. They don't like that too much, but this IS MY STATE, and they can move back to PA if they think it's so great over there.

As always, you North Jerseyans refuse to admit the obvious. You get all of the States' money. You always have. I say let all of the the counties south of Burlington succeed. If our "representives" were that...this would have happened 20 years ago. Do you have any idea how much money your governor cost Atlantic City doing his Newt Gingerich impression? Do you even understand that his tax increase won't even make you any money for years after he is gone because of the red he put you in for that show? Below is just the latest slap in the face. Yet he is all to quick to support dredging for the for the Port of New York and New Jersey. Last time I checked, New York was another state, also. Why don't you move to it?

HARRISBURG, July 5, 2006 – State Sen. Michael J. Stack sent a letter to New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine on the issue of Delaware River dredging and urged him to support the initiative.

“The ports along the Delaware River desperately need the dredging,” said Stack (D-Philadelphia). “Dredging to 45 feet will allow the ports to accommodate larger ships and compete with ports in other sections of the United States.

“Failure to dredge will force companies to move their businesses to other ports. This will result in the loss of thousands of jobs, millions of dollars in tax revenue, and hundreds of millions of dollars in economic activity. The dredging debate has gone on far too long. Now is the time to act.”
    As a state legislator representing Tioga Marine Terminal, Stack offered to assist in bringing both sides to an agreement on the issue.

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by general_lee
    As always, you North Jerseyans refuse to admit the obvious. You get all of the States' money. You always have. I say let all of the the counties south of Burlington succeed. If our "representives" were that...this would have happened 20 years ago. Do you have any idea how much money your governor cost Atlantic City doing his Newt Gingerich impression? Do you even understand that his tax increase won't even make you any money for years after he is gone because of the red he put you in for that show? Below is just the latest slap in the face. Yet he is all to quick to support dredging for the for the Port of New York and New Jersey. Last time I checked, New York was another state, also. Why don't you move to it?

HARRISBURG, July 5, 2006 – State Sen. Michael J. Stack sent a letter to New Jersey Gov. Jon Corzine on the issue of Delaware River dredging and urged him to support the initiative.

“The ports along the Delaware River desperately need the dredging,” said Stack (D-Philadelphia). “Dredging to 45 feet will allow the ports to accommodate larger ships and compete with ports in other sections of the United States.

“Failure to dredge will force companies to move their businesses to other ports. This will result in the loss of thousands of jobs, millions of dollars in tax revenue, and hundreds of millions of dollars in economic activity. The dredging debate has gone on far too long. Now is the time to act.”
    As a state legislator representing Tioga Marine Terminal, Stack offered to assist in bringing both sides to an agreement on the issue.

New Jerseyan

Default First of all, I didn't agree with Corzine's

decision to shut down the casinos. Also, I live in Atlantic County which puts me in "south" Jersey. You know as well as I do that state politicans love to pull out north/south Jersey arguments when they want to reneg on campaign promises or shift blame from themselves for not acting on property taxes. If they can keep us fighting amongst themselves, they reap the spoils. Doesn't the most powerful political boss in the entire state, George Norcross, live in Cherry Hill? Remember, it's on tape, what he said about how the McGreeveys and the Corzines have to answer to him. As far as dredging the Delaware, you need to put pressure on your legislatures, or vote in new ones who will support dredging. That's where you need put anger to good use, in the voting booth.

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    Doesn't the most powerful political boss in the entire state, George Norcross, live in Cherry Hill?
    You're absolutely right. After the revolution, we'll be sure to mail him to Trenton.

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    As far as dredging the Delaware, you need to put pressure on your legislatures, or vote in new ones who will support dredging. That's where you need put anger to good use, in the voting booth.
    Unfortunately, this is where North Jersey folks and loyalists JUST DON'T GET IT. The legislature is NOT a representation of New Jersey. There are simply two states, always has been, always will be. Unless we pull out and form a seperate State, the people from the South will always send most of their money up North. It's not what any politician says...it's a political reality. I pasted that article in because it was merely the latest incident that proves my point.
    Last edited by general_lee; 07-24-2006 at 08:59 PM.

New Jerseyan

First let me say this I DID NOT vote for corzine ! Second I support all of N.J. north ,south ,east and west . I take great pride in being from this state . I live in Morris county up by route 80 but spend a fair amout of time in south Jersey . I have many friends down in Williamstown and the surrounding area that I reenact with . Two weekends ago my wife and I went to A.C. to help the city after the shutdown , we toured the lighthouse, (spent money), walked the boardwalk (spent money), and had dinner at the Hard Rock ( it wasnt free ). My northern money did find its way down south and I have no problem with that . This crap about north -south is just that,CRAP . I support anything that will help ANY part of this state make money . If we must dredge in the south then dredge ,if it needs to be done in the north then do it ! All I can say is corzine and his cronnies cody and roberts are a joke and in the long run do not care about the well being of the state no matter what part of the state it is . We as a state must remember in Nov. and vote for what is good for the state as a whole! Gen. Lee you must get a new name , Gen. Robert E. Lee was a traitor who turned his back on HIS country and after the war he should have been hung . I sir dont think you want to be put in that category , do you? And forget about your little revolution IT AINT HAPPENING!

Now, I must confess, I do appreciate it when you bennies come down and give us your money and then go home because that money stays in the local community.

Ya'll come back now, hea?

Unfortunately, this is where North Jersey folks and loyalists JUST DON'T GET IT. The legislature is NOT a representation of New Jersey. There are simply two states, always has been, always will be. Unless we pull out and form a seperate State, the people from the South will always send most of their money up North. It's not what any politician says...it's a political reality. I pasted that article in because it was merely the latest incident that proves my point.
    Sorry - I'm NOT a North Jerseyan - as there is no such thing - just as their is NO such thing as a SOUTH Jerseyan - we are ALL NEW Jerseyans and until we can work together - we will always have these problems. As NJPride said - the politicians - including NY and Philadelphia love to split NJ into "two states" that way they can keep us fighting amongst ourselves instead of working together an really fixing the state.

I have been in conversations with people from northern New Jersey (you notice the lowercase "n" in northern), still ***** that southern New Jersey (again you will notice the use of the lowercase "s" in southern) got the USS New Jersey. My personal belief is that it was the perfect choice, first - it was built right across the river. Second, those who say that it is in finacial problems because of it's location have to look at the fact that NJ does VERY little - either in northern New Jersey or southern New Jersey to promote itself. It's location has very little to do with it's finacial situation. If it was located in Jersey City at Liberty State park it still wouldn't bring people from across in Manhattan over to NJ - becaue NJ does next to no advertising in NY and NY won't allow NJ to do any advertising.

I have one phrase for you - "United we stand, divided we fall". The opposition and those who would like to keep NJ weak and voters uninformed, love to keep us divided. I'm for what ever is best for New Jersey, whether it is northern or southern. I suggest you do the same, before we just get annexed by NY and Pennsylvania - like they have wanted to do since the days of colonial america. BTW - I'm sure you must be one of those people who instead o supporting New JERSEY teams, you will go across to Philadelphia and support their economy. For every dollar that goes over to Pennsylvania or NY - that money is from the New Jersey economy. If you support southern New Jersey - then you would still support the NEW JERSEY Devils over the Philadelphia Fliers - who do zero for the NJ economy. But then again - Philadelphia has brainwashed NewJerseyans into believing that if you live in southern New Jersey - then you must support their teams - instead of New Jersey's HOME teams.

New Jersey Proud!

Now, I must confess, I do appreciate it when you bennies come down and give us your money and then go home because that money stays in the local community.

Ya'll come back now, hea?
    Let me see - I grew up in bricktown, lived in Plainsboro, Kendall Park, Trenton and now live in Toms River. YOu can consider me only one thing - a proud NEW Jerseyan. As far as benny is concerned, that is merely out of ignorance about the importance of tourism on the local economy. Would you enjoy visiting a place where they have a deragatory term for you? As I have said - a "benny" is solely a person who does NOT respect NJ, but comes down to our beaches, and proceed to leave their trash there. It does NOT describe all northern New Jersey residents as your post indicates you believe.

New Jersey Proud!

I have to ask you - who are you talking to here? First of all - it seems from posts on this board that NO ONE supports corzines taxes you make reference to. Also, why would people who are proud to be New Jerseyans, whether they live in southern New Jersey or northern New Jersey, want to live in NY? I haven't heard anyone say that they would want to live in New York, nor have I heard them be against nor for the Delaware dredging. My sole problem with the dredging is how much does it support NJ, versus Phildelphia. That's the question you should be asking. The dredging in northern New Jersey you mention SOLELY supports New Jersey, not New York. (although I do think that NJ should take back control of our ports and airports and leave the bi-state agency). The dreding in NY harbor supports Port Newark/Elizabeth. What will the dredging of the Delaware support - from what I have seen - the majority supports Pennsylvania and very little for New Jersey.

New Jersey Proud!

I pasted that article in because it was merely the latest incident that proves my point.
    Actually this quote in your article proves MY point - "“The ports along the Delaware River desperately need the dredging,” said Stack (D-Philadelphia). “Dredging to 45 feet will allow the ports to accommodate larger ships and compete with ports in other sections of the United States. " BTW - just to let you know - this PHILADELPHIA politician means NEW JERSEY ports when he says "compete with ports in OTHER sections of the US". Port Elizabeth/Newark is one of the largest ports in the country and THAT is Philadelpia's main competition. Sorry - I would rather have our tax mony going to support a NEW JERSEY port - regardless if it's in southern New Jersey or norther New Jersey, instead of going over to support another state's economy.

So since when does a philadelphian politician represent NJ? Philadelphia NEEDS the dredging - it will hardly do anything for southern New Jersey, unless of course the state builds up it's docks and shipping along our side of the river. Philadelphia won't let that happen - but they'll convince people like you that it's a north/south issue. I'm frankly tired of our tax money going over to support NY and Pennsylvania.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Lee , Grow up and get over the " Benny " thing . As a matter of fact alot of people in south Jersey need to grow up and get on with their lives .