Thread: My Niece's School

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile My Niece's School

My niece, Samantha goes to this school, The Marine Academy of Science and Technology.

Doesn't this look like a neat place to study, especially for anyone interested in marine biology or anything to do with the sea?

http://www.mast.mcvsd.org

/

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    My niece, Samantha goes to this school, The Marine Academy of Science and Technology.

Doesn't this look like a neat place to study, especially for anyone interested in marine biology or anything to do with the sea?

http://www.mast.mcvsd.org

/
    Jersey Warren - I've been there, not to the school, but to Fort Hancock. It's really nice that SOME of those many buildings are being preserved through use as classrooms. I almost went on the war path with the condition for Fort Hancock - but I will refrain. I'm surprised they still use an old photo of Sandy Hook Lighthouse on their website though, although I haven't been back there since the restoration. The photos I have, are when they were still working on it.

Anyway, Marine Biology was one of my many potential fields of study. I loved salt water coral reef fish. I had a friend, when I was in high school, he was a teacher and he lived behind us. He had a huge aquarium set up in his basement, with built in 500 gallon and 55 gallon salt water tanks, numerous freshwater and spawning tanks. Him and his wife would take month long vacation in the summer, the amazon rain forest, middle east, etc. I used to take care of his home when he was away and that included taking care of his tanks.

I remember the one time when I was a junior in high school, I went to the NY Aquarium with my family and I was pointing out all the reef fish in the large reef tank and explaining their characteristics and everything. I wasn't paying any attention, I was just telling my family. After I was done, I looked behind me and there was a sea of people listening to what I was saying. It ended up, I just wasn't telling my family about the fish, I was telling about 50 other peope behind me, who I didn't even know were there.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Red face

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I remember the one time when I was a junior in high school, I went to the NY Aquarium with my family and I was pointing out all the reef fish in the large reef tank and explaining their characteristics and everything. I wasn't paying any attention, I was just telling my family. After I was done, I looked behind me and there was a sea of people listening to what I was saying. It ended up, I just wasn't telling my family about the fish, I was telling about 50 other peope behind me, who I didn't even know were there.
    You could have got a job there as a curator! Was that the acquarium at Coney Island? I went there once many years ago.

I have always liked anything to do with the sea and majored in biology for a semester in college. (My father wanted me to be a dentist, but I planned on going into marine biology once I graduated.)

However, calculus did me in! All science majors had to take it and I have no aptitude for theoretical higher math. I'm great with percentages and money and accounting-type math, but anything with xs and ys gives me a hard time!

My niece loves her school. She and my brother and sister-in-law (the "Springsteen-connected" one) just took a science cruise out of Galveston to the Caribbean that was related to her studies.

P.S. Genoa, Italy, has a really nice acquarium. My wife and I went there in 2001. I asked a woman at a vegetable stand where it was in my limited Italian: "Dove il acquario?" She pointed across the street. While we were waiting for the light to change, she came out of her stand and pushed the button on the pole to get the red light to come on so we could cross. I felt like a real rube from the sticks who didn't know how to cross a city street!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-20-2006 at 01:31 PM.

Wow, this sounds really interesting. I wish they had something like that where I live

Recent Resident

Looks fantastic!

Just a little postscript: Since I first posted this, my niece graduated from high school, and she is now a freshman student at the University of Vermont.

New Jerseyan

Cool Did my time there!

Hey now that is a nice uiiversity to go to, although I did not spend more than a semester there, since I transferred to Maine, I have to say that the university of Vermont is really great.
    Your niece will be meeting up with a really great crowd, what I liked most over there is the kind of 'laidback' attitude that the place seems to have, sort of like out of a storybook, you know what I mean. Anyway, good luck to you and your niece and thanks for sharing that here. Sure nice to meet you,

Quote Originally Posted by simplosys View Post
    Hey now that is a nice uiiversity to go to, although I did not spend more than a semester there, since I transferred to Maine, I have to say that the university of Vermont is really great.
    Your niece will be meeting up with a really great crowd, what I liked most over there is the kind of 'laidback' attitude that the place seems to have, sort of like out of a storybook, you know what I mean. Anyway, good luck to you and your niece and thanks for sharing that here. Sure nice to meet you,
    Thanks for your description. I'll bet it's really nice there about this time of year. I was just reminiscing about visiting Vermont in the Fall. I've been mostly to the southern third of the state, a triangle bordered by Bennington, Brattleboro, and Weston. I haven't been to the U of Vermont. My niece just started her second year there. I'd like to go to her graduation in 2011.

Humming, "Moonlight in Vermont..."