Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Are there many "Jerseyans-in-exile" here?

Default NJ's image

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Well first off - never be embarrassed by NJ. They're just ignorant and must be educated n the real NJ. Not their fault that they only gt their news and ideas from late night talk shows.

Also, I don't find the area around Newark all that terrible. It's an industrial area of the state, all states have some sort of industry. I do with that NJ would do some landscaping and things around the area so didn't look like a concrete jungle. There is a lot that can be done to fix up the image.

I wish our politicians woudl stp making it easy for people to just build in the suburbs and encourage building in the cities. We need to get businesses and people back into the cities and out of the suburbs.

BTW - You have now made it to "Recent Resident" - I hope you are happy now. Now you just have to work your way up to true New Jerseyan.
    I have to cringe before I say where I'm from because NJ has such a negative image. We've been the target of a lot of jokes and have a reputation we don't deserve. Unfortunately people coming into Newark get to see and smell what's in the area as their first impression.

I was born in Elizabeth and spent a lot of time in the area visiting family besides heading up the Turnpike for Devils games and it STINKS SOMETHING HORRENDOUS a lot of the time. It's really ugly (although the refinery is kind of cool lit up at night)

Too many people crammed in certain areas really makes the traffic a daily nightmare. Part of me is relieved I don't have to deal with route 1 rush hour traffic any more. I just hate seeing land turned into another minimall or big box store or more areas full of condos or town homes. The deer and bears have no where to go and people find them a nuisance eating their plants or breaking into homes! The newspaper always says, "Deer are a danger to cars." Well, it's the other way around. You don't see any "dead" cars.

YEAH! I'm finally more than a mere tourist!
    Wendy
    Back home in New Jersey after some years across the river in Pennsy

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by usv8lover
    I have to cringe before I say where I'm from because NJ has such a negative image. We've been the target of a lot of jokes and have a reputation we don't deserve. Unfortunately people coming into Newark get to see and smell what's in the area as their first impression.

I was born in Elizabeth and spent a lot of time in the area visiting family besides heading up the Turnpike for Devils games and it STINKS SOMETHING HORRENDOUS a lot of the time. It's really ugly (although the refinery is kind of cool lit up at night)
    When was the last time you've been through there? I go up there all the time and I agree, during the 80's it did stink terrible - especially around Rahway. Now basially 99% of the tim I go there, it doesn't smell at all. They made the polution controls much stricter on the refineries and the othe chemical plants in the area. Now I have driven along 95 go toward Philadelphia and north of the city there is a bunch of chemical plants and refineries there in PA and that area smells like it used to around Rahway.

Too many people crammed in certain areas really makes the traffic a daily nightmare. Part of me is relieved I don't have to deal with route 1 rush hour traffic any more. I just hate seeing land turned into another minimall or big box store or more areas full of condos or town homes. The deer and bears have no where to go and people find them a nuisance eating their plants or breaking into homes! The newspaper always says, "Deer are a danger to cars." Well, it's the other way around. You don't see any "dead" cars.
    New Jerseyans have to start electing politicians who actually start working for NJ, instead of working for NY. OUr cities are improving and people are moving back, but there is really no reason why NY was able to make such a drastic change from dogs sized rats and prostitues and xxx rated movie theaters to a place that people loved, other than NJ has only voted sporatically for politicians who have ever done anything for this state. Until that changes, people are still going to have a hard time saying "let's move to Newark".
    YEAH! I'm finally more than a mere tourist!
    The temptation to have "tourist" stay until after 50 posts is so strong. J/K. welcome to your recent move to NJ.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default stinky Turnpike corridor in NORTHERN NEW JERSEY

When was the last time you've been through there? I go up there all the time and I agree, during the 80's it did stink terrible - especially around Rahway. Now basially 99% of the tim I go there, it doesn't smell at all. They made the polution controls much stricter on the refineries and the othe chemical plants in the area. Now I have driven along 95 go toward Philadelphia and north of the city there is a bunch of chemical plants and refineries there in PA and that area smells like it used to around Rahway.
    It's been a few years but I remember bad smells were still present well into the 90s.

The temptation to have "tourist" stay until after 50 posts is so strong. J/K. welcome to your recent move to NJ.
    NO! If you're going to change the criteria you can't change back those of us who already made it!
    Wendy

I also lived just over the border for 2 years back in the late 90s. I was managing a store in Allentown and comuted for a year before i gave in and moved to Bethlaham PA. I got transfered back to Jersey! as soon as I could. Its amazing what a few miles can do to a Pizza or a Bagel.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by usv8lover
    It's been a few years but I remember bad smells were still present well into the 90s.
    I think you'd be surprised then. I've been back since 1999 - and only twice in that time have encountered any smells around the rahway area. It used to be really bad in the 80's and even worse in th 70's.
    NO! If you're going to change the criteria you can't change back those of us who already made it!
    Oh - so now that you have made it to "recent resident" you think you should be granfathered in.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    I also lived just over the border for 2 years back in the late 90s. I was managing a store in Allentown and comuted for a year before i gave in and moved to Bethlaham PA.
    I'm sorry, i just don't feel sorry for you guys. Look - you guys were/are at least right next to NJ; able to visit and come in for a refreshing get away whenever you wanted. I on the other hand was forced - kicking and screaming - out to indiana. I coudl not take quick trips back to NJ. We only went back maybe once a year if that. It was terrible. Now - joyfully I'm back where I belong.
    I got transfered back to Jersey! as soon as I could. Its amazing what a few miles can do to a Pizza or a Bagel.
    You think that's bad - you should try the midwest or the westcoast. Fist time we tried ordering a large pepperoni pie - we called up pizza hut. Of course they really only had fast food pizza there. They're response of course was - "we don't sell pie here" Then when I was in oregon - I was trying to find REAL hot italian sausage to make my pizza with (I make homemade pizza, dough and everything). They didn't have any real hot italian sausage. They told me to add this hot powder stuff to it and that's how you make hot italian sausage - i just rolled my eyes. REAL hot italian sausage shouldn't even be red, it's from the seeds that are used that makes it hot. Sad thing is - I can't even really get good hot italian sausage at wegman's.

As for bagels - don't even get me started on that. In most of the rest of the country - it's like they're not even cooked. I worked with a person from Philadelphia - we got along amazingly well, we used to talk about all the food that we could get in NJ and Philly like REAL bagels - that we couldn't get there.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Wendy, I misunderstood you and thought your family had talked you into moving to Texas. lol. As for bad smells here in New Jersey I have not encountered any so far. I agree that the animals can lose their natural habitat but it looks as if parts of the wooded area are being preserved for that purpose. The traffic in Philly is unreal. I am glad I do not do the driving when I am there. The more I am here in New Jersey the more I wish I could move here. Maybe one of these days. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Devil, We went to a Mexican restaurant in Berlin called, ''Los Amigos.'' Not bad at all. I agree that Texas is too far a way from NJ but look how far away I am but I sure manage to get here. lol.I am thinking of planning a return visit in September when the ''New Jersey baby'' is due to arrive. We have had a wonderful day and it has been relaxing. Medford is quite a beautiful place. We have a list of things to do so will be busy. Take care. Marianita

Default worst pizza

Hawaii definitely has THE worst pizza (if you could even call that pizza).
    I couldn't even finish it it was so bad.
    So if you get a craving for pizza wait until you get back to the mainland.
    I highly reccomend the Teriyaki beef though.

I never had White Castle hamburgers but I often hear that's the stop many people make between the airport and their initial destination when they return to NJ from wherever they've been living. My aunt used to make my father go there first. (I know you can get them frozen now)
    Wendy

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Jersey exile

Hi usv8lover, I am not crazy about pizza anyway so bad pizza sounds really awful. lol. As for the white castle hamburgers I would like to try one of them. I have never heard of white castle hamburgers. Hawaii is one place I haven't been. Yesterday I found a plaque that says,''Jersey girl'' on it and bought it. We spent the day in Medford as there was a festival and there were a lot of neat things for sale and good food too.Have a wonderful day. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default So much to identify with!

So many of these posts make me chuckle or recall my first "out-of-Jersey" experiences!

Such as the time I asked for Taylor Pork Roll in a supermarket in Massachusetts. Or first encountered soggy, thick-crust pizza baked in pans by Greeks in Massachusetts. Or on my first trip to California when I got a meatball sub with a big slice of pickle on it! (I pulled it off, naturally.)

I spent five years in Texas and found it totally incompatible with my Jerseyness. The thing about Texas is, the men have an "attitude" similar to the feisty urban guys from places like Newark, but with none of the "coolness." I felt like saying: "make up your mind, dudes: You can be EITHER tough and hip OR mellow and "country and Western" but not BOTH!

And the women there were taken in by these cowboy types, much to my chagrin.

I also found that people in Dallas think that money can buy class. In New Jersey, if you want to be accepted in upscale places, it takes more than money you need to learn some manners and a minimum of correct English grammar. Not in Texas. Many a guy in a 3,000 square foot house in Plano goes around with a "chaw" in his jaw, wears his hat into restaurants (real restaurants, not fast food) and crucifies the Queen's English, yet is still considered "upper class" based solely on the size of his house and his expensive car or truck. That wouldn't hack in in Princeton or Saddle River, I'll tell you that much!

I had one amusing experience on my first visit to Texas, though. I saw a pizzeria that has a neon sign reading "NY Pizza" in the window. (And okay, New Yorkers are annoying but they can make pizza and bagels.)

Much to my amazement, the pizza was good. When the cashier asked me how it was, I said it was just like in New York.

The cook came out of the kitchen with a big grin on his face, pulled out his wallet, and showed me his New York drivers license with a Bronx address on it!

My brother and his wife went to Arizona State University (they're back in Toms River) and have lots of funny stories to tell about the terrible pizza and subs in Arizona. It's actually quite predictable: You look up the stats on a place in http://www.city-data.com/ and if a city has at least 15 percent of the people being of Italian ancestry, chances are you'll find good pizza. (For example, Toms River is 31.6% Italian, Plano, Texas is only 4.1%.) Under ten percent, buy Freschetta or DiGiorno and bake it yourself!

By the way, I'm going to Wisconsin on business tomorrow and won't return until Saturday.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 06-05-2006 at 09:48 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    By the way, I'm going to Wisconsin on business tomorrow and won't return until Saturday.
    I'll have more about your post later, but have a safe trip in Wisconsin. Hopefully you'll have a lot of catching up to do.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi JerseyWarren, I had to laugh about the part you wrote about the Texan who wears his hat everywhere, but I laugh for personal reasons. LOL. Well, Texas is not my kind of place although I had a lot of fun there years ago. New Jersey is my kind of place. Infact I am enjoying every moment of my stay. There are some New Yorkers next door we are having a blast with. They are actually ex New Yorkers as they have relocated here. As for the pizza, I will pass on that no matter where it is prepared. I live for these Jersey moments. This morning my granddaughter rushed off her school bus yelling,''Grandma!'' and into my arms. talk about precious moments. Tomorrow we are going to Cherry Hill Mall. All the far away places are for the coming weeks.''jersey Rich'' is taking some vacation next week. Take care. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default in exile again

Hi Jersey Warren, I returned home to Central Calif on the 18th. I have been telling my husband ever since that I want to move to New Jersey. I can retire anytime after November or semi retire at the age of 62 but I want to move there and I want to live in Mt.Laural. Or maybe Hamilton, who knows? I say that because a couple live there who work with my son and we have become good friends over the past 3 years. I may be returning to Marlton in Sept when the New Jersey baby is due. It is not easy to relocate but the properties can be sold and it can be done. Somehow, some way I am going to make it happen. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Your exile

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jersey Warren, I returned home to Central Calif on the 18th. I have been telling my husband ever since that I want to move to New Jersey. I can retire anytime after November or semi retire at the age of 62 but I want to move there and I want to live in Mt.Laural. Or maybe Hamilton, who knows? I say that because a couple live there who work with my son and we have become good friends over the past 3 years. I may be returning to Marlton in Sept when the New Jersey baby is due. It is not easy to relocate but the properties can be sold and it can be done. Somehow, some way I am going to make it happen. Marianita
    Hi Marianita,

Well, at least you are not exiled in the worst place -- I found Texas and Wisconsin to be much less pleasant than California!

I hope you eventually are able to realize your dreams!

We will be in New Jersey the first week of October for my 40th class reunion.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default in exile

Hi Jersey Warren, It may take some time but I think it could be done. Texas is not my kind of place either. Wisconsin, I do not know as I have never been there. It is nice here in this part of Calif but I feel I can do just great in NJ. I am already learning the exits and the routes and all that stuff. lol. The thing is that I feel at home there. So time will tell. Marianita