Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Are there many "Jerseyans-in-exile" here?

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Are there many "Jerseyans-in-exile" here?

I was wondering how many of you still live in the Garden State and how many live elsewhere.

It is ironic that someone who loves New Jersey as much as I do has now lived over half his life outside New Jersey, but as they say: "Life is what happens to you while you're making plans."

I left New Jersey in 1970 for Manhattan, moved to Massachusetts in 1972, to Los Angeles County in 1989, to Texas in 1992, to New Orleans for five weeks in 1992, then back to the Dallas area. I moved to Wisconsin in 1997 and to Florida in 2004.

I still have my mother, three brothers, and several nieces and nephews in Ocean and Monmouth Counties.

Like most exiled New Jerseyans, my first order of business upon leaving the area in 1972 was to secure a supply of Taylor Pork Roll. Amazingly, I can now buy it in my supermarket in Florida, the first place I have lived where it was available since leaving New York.

My greatest source of Jersey pride in recent years was when Jeremy Glick, who lived in my old town of Upper Saddle River, and Todd Beamer, another Jerseyan, were among the heroes on Flight 93. I told people at the time, that one subject they didn't teach at al Qaeda training school was: "Never try to push around people from New Jersey because they'll push right back!"

New Jerseyan

Hi Warren,

I was born, raised and lived in Bergen County til I moved down to Somerset County when I was in my late 20s. I've been in Somerset now for about 12 years. Oops...kinda gave away my age there

Regards,
    Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Smile Nice to meet You! (figuratively speaking)

Hi Debbie,

I'm glad to hear from you. I posted regularly on a food and recipe website for about 6 years, but after awhile it got repetitious and tiresome. (One ongoing "argument" I had with a woman from Maine was over which state, New Jersey or Maine, had better blueberries!)

I only recently discovered this board, which covers subject areas truly dear to me, and it seems like it's lots of fun, too.

Even after leaving New Jersey in 1970 I made regular visits back until I left the Northeast for California in 1989. Now, I only get back every couple of years. The area of Florida where I live (in the Panhandle, about 45 miles East of Pensacola) looks a lot like the Jersey Pine Barrens. We're just 25 miles from the Gulf of Mexico at Fort Walton Beach.

I thought I knew a lot about all of New Jersey, but Somerset County isn't a county you hear a lot about. I guess that's because it's tucked away in the middle of the state. (Sort of like Paraguay, in South America.) However, back when Jackie Onassis was alive, you used to hear about her going to Peapack for fox hunting and riding quite often.

I picture Somerset County as looking a lot like the horse farm country of Virginia beautiful colonial homes set on multi-acre lots. The kind of place where there is both a Mercedes and a pickup to pull the horse trailer in the driveway. How am I doing? Pretty good guess, or not?

Anyway, I'm glad to make your acquaintance!

Best regards,
    Warren

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    I picture Somerset County as looking a lot like the horse farm country of Virginia beautiful colonial homes set on multi-acre lots. The kind of place where there is both a Mercedes and a pickup to pull the horse trailer in the driveway. How am I doing? Pretty good guess, or not?
    Hi Warren,

I would have to say that Somerset County is a mixed bag, just like the rest of Jersey. There are definitely areas like what you've described above (Tewskbury and Peapack come to mind...in fact, I used to take riding lessons out that way, and the trails often wound through the properties of incredible, multi-million dollar homes), and there's still a lot of open farmland left although it's developed a LOT in the 12 years I've been here. As I write this, I'm looking out on about 20 acres of meadow and my neighbors cows...yet a three minute drive takes me to Rt. 206, Shoprite, and mini malls...which I don't particularly mind because of the convenience.

It's nice to "meet" you too

Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Burlinton County

Hi Jersey Warren, Ofcourse I am much more familiar with Burlington county as my son lives there but I think I am getting well edcuated on this site and the magazines I receive like New Jersey Monthly. As regards Burlington county I find it impressive. There is the Promenade for one. The circle is nearby and will take you anywhere you want to go. lol. Everything is so nice and well kept. The city of Marlton is small but has everything to offer. I know it is in Evesham township.
    It was really funny talking to my son today. He was on his way home from work. I said,''Let me guess. You are now in Cinnaminson'' He said,''No.'' I said,''Ok then, Maple Shade.'' He said,''no.'' I said,''Marlton?'' He said,''close.'' I said,''Oh you are in Mt Holly.'' And sure enough he was. I started to say Vorhees but realized that wasn't right. By the way Dave he is purchasing my plane ticket tonight. I need to know what days you work and the hours so we can go visit you at the Jersey store. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersean in exile

I thought about your question, Dave, and concluded that I definitely fit that catagory. I am in exile until I visit again. In August when my feet were on Jersey soil and I saw all the Jersey license plates I felt a wonderful sense of coming home. I will have 3 weekends there this time and we have so much planned. I would say I am in exile. wouldn't you? Marianita

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    I thought about your question, Dave, and concluded that I definitely fit that catagory. I am in exile until I visit again. In August when my feet were on Jersey soil and I saw all the Jersey license plates I felt a wonderful sense of coming home. I will have 3 weekends there this time and we have so much planned. I would say I am in exile. wouldn't you? Marianita
    Marianita -

You really need to move to New Jersey. So do you think you'll retire here?

I used to be a "Jerseyan-in-exile" - then I finally came back. People used to constantly tell me - "well it's so much better there, then why don't you just move back" which is what I told them I would do and exactly what I did. It's good to be home again.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Jersey exile

Hi Dave, I have been thinking about it. I hope to live there after retirement. My son and daughter-in-law would love that. I really feel it is a possibility. And who knows? I may do it sooner. It has been on my mind and heart for a long time. Marianita

Smile Open Question About Returning to New Jersey

Believe it or not, I actually started thinking about returning to New Jersey within a year of leaving in 1970! Then why aren't I back yet? Good question.

I tried on-and-off for years. I spent many entire vacations in New Jersey going from one employment agency to another, registering for jobs. No one ever contacted me.

If I had known my present company would have allowed me to take my job (which consists mainly of writing and desktop publishing) with me to Florida, I certainly would have considered a move to New Jersey instead. Our main reasons for moving here were 1) the low cost of living; 2) the proximity to Texas [a one-day drive] where our grown kids and grand-kids are, and 3) the absence of winter, which neither of us like, and 4) the proximity to beaches, which New Jersey also has planty of.

Since joining this board (and also planning my old school's class reunion in Ramsey later this year) my sense of "Jerseyness" has been rekindled. I have started researching potential places in the Garden State that might meet our needs. I really would like to do it, but still, I hesitate. Among the "fear factors" are:

1.) I remember New Jersey people as being very intense, high-strung, extremely fast-paced, aggressive, competitive, always going with the pedal to the metal (figuratively), always doing everything 110 percent. Is that memory an illusion? (Maybe that was just MY family!) I know I have mellowed over the past 36 years. At 58, I don't have the high energy level and aggressiveness I did at 22. I'm afraid I may no longer have the drive and spunk it takes to be a New Jerseyan.

2.) The cost of real estate in New Jersey tends to be high. I need to live in a place I can still afford to live in after I retire in about ten years.

3.) Although we managed to survive seven years in Wisconsin, Martha and I have had our filll of winter. I don't even like to watch movies where there is snow on the ground!

After giving this some thought, and doing a little research on the Internet, I think I may have found the one area of New Jersey that might be right for us. That is Cumberland County, particularly around Vineland and Millville. The real estate prices there, while not cheap, are roughly equivilent with this part of Northwest Florida, so we might be able to make an almost even swap for our house here for one there. (We paid $135,000 for our house 19 MONTHS ago. One like ours recently sold up the street for $205,000!)

Cumberland County, while colder than Northwest Florida in the winter, is fairly mild. We've been here two winters and have nights in January with hard frosts and 28-degree temperatures (usually warming up to the 50s by daytime). That part of New Jersey shouldn't be tremendously colder, though they get an average of 5 inches of snow in January and February. Also, I'm hoping that in Vineland, in particular, which is in the heart of an agricultural area, the people might not have that hard-nosed, in-your-face attitude I knew growing up in the shadows of New York City in Bergen County. I expect the people might be a lot more laid back down there.

For years, I wanted to move to Ocean County, to be near the rest of my family. But places like Forked River, where my youngest brother lives, are too high-priced for us. But a drive from Vineland to Toms River or Forked River (for example) is plenty close enough to go to Sunday dinner.

Anyway, from the perspective of those of you who still live there, does my plan have merit? And are my fears groundless?

I will welcome any and all opinions.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 05-19-2006 at 04:06 PM.

Have you looked in Tuckertown that is just sout of Manahawkin and i still believe quite resonable
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Unhappy Lost over the river

I moved to PA to go to college. I have never felt comfortable here and breathe a sigh of relief when I go over a bridge into NJ. I live north of Philadelphia and I find the natives pretty hostile. All my Devils stuff is hidden.
    I have been here almost 4 years after living all my life in central NJ.
    The roads in PA are poorly laid out - most roads have a 90 degree turn somewhere or they change direction - it's nuts!

There is only ONE Carvel in the area and I have to go to NJ to satisfy my cravings for Stewart's. (I don't like cheesesteaks...I may be thrown out of the area if they find out.) The further away you get from NYC the worse the bagels get. Haven't found a reasonable bakery.

I feel like I am in a foreign land and don't like it at all. If there was an affordable place to live I would love to move back to NJ. Wish car insurance was cheaper too.

Wendy

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Wendy, Hopefully you can eventually get back to Jersey so you will be happier. I am not in exile at the moment as I am here in Marlton NJ. lol. I have been happy since my plane landed last night in Philly. We have a lot planned and had to write down the things we want to do. Take care of yourself. Marianita

Default In exile

There's a lot of little things I miss about in NJ. Was in Boston once and they have no clue when you ask for rye bread toast. My aunt in Tennessee misses hard rolls. It's amazing how different parts of the country can be. In New Orleans you have to slow down...in Hawaii I really have to slow down (pace and talking to locals).

NJ has it all (mountains, wetlands, beaches, farms, horse farms, etc.)

Horror of horrors my parents just moved to Texas after being in NJ all their lives....and to add insult to injury they encouraged me to move out there.
    Texas is a nice place to visit but I have no interest in being there more than a few days.
    Wendy
    Back home in New Jersey after some years across the river in Pennsy

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersean in exile

Hi usv8lover, My goodness, are you in Texas? What a change from New Jersey. I have spent the day in Medford as they had a festival and we have been around the pool most of the day. I am having a wonderful time. We had breakfast at the Marlton diner. So how do you like Texas? By the way New Jersey does have it all. I feel like I have always been here. I understand how you feel. Take care. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi usv8lover, My goodness, are you in Texas? What a change from New Jersey. I have spent the day in Medford as they had a festival and we have been around the pool most of the day. I am having a wonderful time. We had breakfast at the Marlton diner. So how do you like Texas? By the way New Jersey does have it all. I feel like I have always been here. I understand how you feel. Take care. Marianita
    Marianita - She said she lives in Philadelphia - her PARENTS moved to Texas and asked her to move there, which she said she has no desire to do. Or maybe you mean that she's just visiting - now I'm just plain confused. Anyway - personally, I don't blame her, it's way too far from NJ.

Glad you're having a good time in Marlton.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I like your signature usv8lover -

Mostly life-long New Jerseyan (lately trapped just across the river in PA)
    That is very much how I felt when I wasn't living in NJ. A New Jerseyan stuck in a strange world. I'm better now though - back in New Jersey.

New Jersey Proud!

Default JD likes my sig

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I like your signature usv8lover -

That is very much how I felt when I wasn't living in NJ. A New Jerseyan stuck in a strange world. I'm better now though - back in New Jersey.
    I'm glad to hear someone else say that. My friends think I'm crazy. It is totally different here. It's not home.
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by usv8lover
    I'm glad to hear someone else say that. My friends think I'm crazy. It is totally different here. It's not home.
    That's because most peopel outside down't really know the real NJ. They live off of the stereotypes.

BTW - one more post and you're no longer a tourist and back on NJ terraforma.

New Jersey Proud!

Default People don't know the real NJ

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    That's because most peopel outside down't really know the real NJ. They live off of the stereotypes.

BTW - one more post and you're no longer a tourist and back on NJ terraforma.
    You don't have to tell me about that...
    I've been to Bermuda, all over Canada and the US including Hawaii.
    No matter where you go people ask, "Where are you from?"
    I am always embarassed to say, "New Jersey" because people land in Newark and see the horrible and smelly Turnpike corridor by the airport. That's what people think NJ is.
    I always point out we have beaches to mountains, forests, farms and horse farms. Most people never see it. We have everything! (Including too many people being continually crammed into the same areas). Wish development would stop...
    Wendy

Quote Originally Posted by usv8lover
    You don't have to tell me about that...
    I've been to Bermuda, all over Canada and the US including Hawaii.
    No matter where you go people ask, "Where are you from?"
    I am always embarassed to say, "New Jersey" because people land in Newark and see the horrible and smelly Turnpike corridor by the airport. That's what people think NJ is.
    Well first off - never be embarrassed by NJ. They're just ignorant and must be educated n the real NJ. Not their fault that they only gt their news and ideas from late night talk shows.

Also, I don't find the area around Newark all that terrible. It's an industrial area of the state, all states have some sort of industry. I do think that NJ could do some landscaping and things around the area so didn't look like a concrete jungle. There is a lot that can be done to fix up the image.
    I always point out we have beaches to mountains, forests, farms and horse farms. Most people never see it. We have everything! (Including too many people being continually crammed into the same areas). Wish development would stop...
    I wish our politicians would stop making it easy for people to just build in the suburbs and encourage building in the cities. We need to get businesses and people back into the cities and out of the suburbs.

BTW - You have now made it to "Recent Resident" - I hope you are happy now. Now you just have to work your way up to true New Jerseyan.

New Jersey Proud!