Thread: Golden Door

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs down Golden Door

I just posted this movie review on movie.com
    http://movies.go.com/readerreviews/r...eviewid=130167

POSTED BY: WarrenMass
    DATE: July 30, 2007
    Rescues Defeat From the Jaws of Victory

My wife and I looked forward to this since her father came through Ellis Island from Scotland and my great-grandparents came through from Italy. The film did an excellent job of depicting the harsh life in rural Sicily and the challenging journey across the sea in steerage. It also vividly portrayed the ordeal of going through the screening process at Ellis Island. But after a two-hour build-up the movie instead of arriving at some meaningful conclusion flopped completely on its face! Where was an inspiring scene of immigrants at the railings spotting the Statue of Liberty (which is mere yards away from Ellis Island, both being in Jersey City waters) for the first time? How about a scene of the newly married couples leaving Ellis Island by ferry to start a new life in America, maybe in New York's Little Italy? Nada! Instead, we are [this ended here, because it probably exceeded the space on the other website]. I went on to say that the final scene, showing the immigrants swimming in a river of milk (symbolizing the immigrants' unrealistic dreams of America, such as money growing on trees) was actually a repetition of a similar scene shown earlier in the movie, instead of anything conclusive. I compared it to the Yellow Submarine and called it a silly fantasy like someone on an LSD trip. I noted that the producer/director seemed to be unable to think of a better ending and took the easy way out.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 07-30-2007 at 02:29 PM.

Recent Resident

Where did the director's wits go? I just wonder..