Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls

Recent Resident

Although Red Bull New York isn't a franchise, like you said they neglect NJ and when a foreign owner comes in to buy a football club in England, everyone is suspicious of whether they are out to make money quick or whether they actually genuinely want the club to succeed. These foreign owners don't change the name, dump the history and move towns. So, upon hearing that Red Bull have bought a second team, after buying SV Austria Salzburg, I and many of my friends in football talked about this. We all agree that maybe this isn't right for football in America. It is an up and coming footballing country with exciting prospects and, right now it doesn't need something like this.

But that is just our opinion across the pond.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Although Red Bull New York isn't a franchise, like you said they neglect NJ and when a foreign owner comes in to buy a football club in England, everyone is suspicious of whether they are out to make money quick or whether they actually genuinely want the club to succeed. These foreign owners don't change the name, dump the history and move towns. So, upon hearing that Red Bull have bought a second team, after buying SV Austria Salzburg, I and many of my friends in football talked about this. We all agree that maybe this isn't right for football in America. It is an up and coming footballing country with exciting prospects and, right now it doesn't need something like this.

But that is just our opinion across the pond.
    That's it - it's Austria that the Red Bulls own the other team - not Germany. I don't think the Red Bulls care about the team and they definitely don't care about the New Jersey fans or NJ. Them owning the team is all about marketing Red Bull energy drink - whcih as I said I refuse to buy.

We have the same situation currently with Ratner and the NJ Nets. He bought our major league basketball team and is planning on moving them to Brooklyn. He doesn't care about the Nets at all - he's just using the team to try to gain support for his office/residential complexes he wants to build in Brooklyn. He's using the Nets arena as a selling point to the residents in the area - many of who will have to move and close up businesses to support his development. Of course his plan isn't going over too well and he has still experienced a lot of opposition. The owners of the NJ Devils are rumored to be in talks with Ratner on buying the NJ Nets and moving them to the Prudential Center in Newark where they were meant to go all along. The New JERSEY Devils are a true proud NJ team and I really do hope they buy out the Nets.

Getting back to the Red Bulls situation - I'm not sure if many people really care too much. Although the naming of the team was really ridiculed - usually a company buys the naming rights for an arena or stadium - the Red Bulls basically bought the team to slap their name on it for pure marketing purposes.

You can see that many teams in the US don't really care about the fans or where they play. They have no loyalty - hence why New Jersey is home to THREE teams who snub New Jersey and would rather be considered a New York team. As I said - I actively root against them and did NOT want the Giants to win the Super Bowl at all.

For the most part all sports are is about money and million dollar contracts for the players. The NJ Devils on the other hand have taken an active role in promoting Newark where they built their new arena last year.

The sad thing is - Hockey and Soccer are two of my favorite sports. I like fast sports with a lot of action and those two have it. I would be a "Red Bulls" fan if they called themselves New Jersey and if they showed any pride in where they play and for the fans. as long as they call themselves a New York team, I refuse to see a game. The only way I would attend anything with the Red Bulls is by wearing my DropNY.com shirt.

You can read some about how important I feel team loyalty is to the fans and their home in the AboutNewJersey.com Blog - Lakewood BlueClaws Soccer Night with the New Jersey Ironmen article. I just can't stand teams who snub New Jersey and who all the fans are to them is just the next merchandise sale and ticket stub. I feel the NY Mets and Yankees only care about the sale of their merchandise and the fans fall for it. I don't see any loyalty for the fans when it comes to the Mets or Yankees. Like New York in general though - teams that carry NY on their uniforms usually are stuck up and only care about the money coming in and not the fan. There used to be a time when teams actually cared about where they played, about the fans and where it was about the love of the game. Now players are mostly into the next contract negotiation - so there really isn't any team loyalty among the players and the teams don't really care about where they play - just as long as they are bringing in the money through merchandise and ticket sales.

When the devils win the Stanley Cup - they take the cup on a NJ road trip and do a ton of public appearances throughout New Jersey. The Giants won the Super Bowl this year and what did they do - they had a parade in NY and raised ticket prices for next season as the great thank you to the fans. Not only that - but the owner said that this win was for the NY fans and completely left out their HOME fans of New Jersey. See teams view tying themselves to Ny as a marketing move - because they feel that people will like the team and follow the team more with NY attached to them. As far as I'm concerned - any team who plays in NJ and claims to be a NY team and get the hell out of New Jersey and go across the river. We don't need them.

It really upset me last year when the Giants went to England to play and never promoted their home, but instead promoted New York. I bet there was no mention of them being a New JERSEY team while they were out in England - so basically the Giants gave one big advertisement for the over inflated ego of New York.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

Firstly, I just wanna say that when the Giants played at Wembley I didn't know that so many English people would wanna see American Football (no offence intended) but, and I live in Wembley, it was packed.

Anyway, I know franchising in America is common and the people that buy them only care where the next buck comes from which is probably why that English people are against it happening here. Take the football team called Wimbledon as an example. They had a good history with several high profile players in the '90s and when it came to the '00s they upped sticks and moved town, changed their name and forgot their history in favour of "making a fresh start".

Now, when a club in England changes their name (i.e. Leigh RMI to Leigh Genesis) many people don't think much of it as they generally keep the name and history etc. But with Wimbledon, everything changed and everyone was shocked and appalled... It was unheard of, and only a minority of the Wimbledon fans vowed to support the new "Milton Keynes Dons". The majority of the Wimbledon fans wanted a team, a team that would keep the Wimbledon name, crest, stadium and history. They formed this new team "AFC Wimbledon" and although a new crest was created it was very similar to the old one. AFC Wimbledon kept the previous history but lost the stadium as the owner of MK Dons sold it to a supermarket chain.

AFC Wimbledon have been very successful and have won about 7 trophies/leagues in 7 years to MK Dons' 2 trophies (although they compete in different leagues and cups). This is similar to Red Bull New York and FC Red Bull Salzburg except for moving cities. Again though, people in Austria formed a team with the same name, crest and history as they were against the takeover in the first place.

At the moment, it would be impossible for me and my footballing colleagues to set up a team for the fans in NJ (that would keep the NJ MetroStars) name but somewhere in future we would love to do that as well as buying the plot of land where AFC Wimbledon's stadium used to stand. This won't be possible straight away but it is on our list.

P.S. Sorry for the long winded reply!

Recent Resident

...although a NEW crest was...

Apologies

Firstly, I just wanna say that when the Giants played at Wembley I didn't know that so many English people would wanna see American Football (no offence intended) but, and I live in Wembley, it was packed.
    Not offended. Actually it was a big deal as to how well the teams and game would be supported in England. I used to know a lot of people from England and their general view of American Football was that it was an over protected version of rugby and basically not worth seeing. It was surprising at how big the whole thing ended up being over there, I really didn't expect it. I must say - all the merchandise and stuff for that game will most likely be worth a lot - since the Giants did end up winning the Super Bowl.
    Anyway, I know franchising in America is common and the people that buy them only care where the next buck comes from which is probably why that English people are against it happening here. Take the football team called Wimbledon as an example. They had a good history with several high profile players in the '90s and when it came to the '00s they upped sticks and moved town, changed their name and forgot their history in favour of "making a fresh start".

Now, when a club in England changes their name (i.e. Leigh RMI to Leigh Genesis) many people don't think much of it as they generally keep the name and history etc. But with Wimbledon, everything changed and everyone was shocked and appalled... It was unheard of, and only a minority of the Wimbledon fans vowed to support the new "Milton Keynes Dons". The majority of the Wimbledon fans wanted a team, a team that would keep the Wimbledon name, crest, stadium and history. They formed this new team "AFC Wimbledon" and although a neam crest was created it was very similar to the old one. AFC Wimbledon kept the previous history but lost the stadium as the owner of MK Dons sold it to a supermarket chain.
    So in England who basically owns the teams? Are they started by the towns/cities they play in? Does the league control who can and can't have a team? Like right now, NJ has wanted to have a Major League Baseball team - but Steinbrenner - the owner of the New York Yankees said that New Jersey will NEVER have a team as long as he is alive. When the Montreal Expos decided to leave Montreal, New Jersey made an small effort to attract them. They are now the Washington Nationals.
    AFC Wimbledon have been very successful and have won about 7 trophies/leagues in 7 years to MK Dons' 2 trophies (although they compete in different leagues and cups). This is similar to Red Bull New York and FC Red Bull Salzburg except for moving cities. Again though, people in Austria formed a team with the same name, crest and history as they were against the takeover in the first place.
    I wish there was this kind of pride in New Jersey like there is in Europe and other states. Hosting a sports team is basically so the citizens can feel a part of it and have some sort of identity with the team. I'm sorry - I don't live in NY - don't want to live in NY and don't care about NY - and it will be a cold day in hell before I support a NY team - especially a New Jersey team trying to pass themselves off as a NY team.

At the moment, it would be impossible for me and my footballing colleagues to set up a team for the fans in NJ (that would keep the NJ MetroStars) name but somewhere in future we would love to do that as well as buying the plot of land where AFC Wimbledon's stadium used to stand. This won't be possible straight away but it is on our list.
    There was supposedly talk of having another Major League Soccer team in the area and them carrying the MetroStars name and the history. The Red Bulls response was that they own the history of the MetroStars - even though the only consider their founding to be 2006.

Right now - what I am hoping for is that the Red Bulls have such terrible attendance that the owners sell them to someone who wants to promote them as New JERSEY team. They haven't been doing too well lately - they supposedly have lost a number of key European players the last couple of weeks - I believe one of them was from Spain.

It would be great if someone from Europe who knew the history of the fight between NY and NJ would start a REAL ML Soccer team in New Jersey and call them "New Jersey ...." I wouldn't care too much if they carried the MetroStars name on them - just as long as they were a TRUE soccer team and not merely a marketing gimmick like the Red Bulls are. Like I said - I really do love soccer and it was one sport I really enjoyed playing too.
    P.S. Sorry for the long winded reply!
    Now problem on the length in posts, as you can see I write a lot too.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

...although a NEW crest was...

Apologies
    No problems. You can actually go into your post and edit - just hit the edit button on the post you wish to edit (of course it has to be one that you wrote). I did make the correction for you however - having administrator powers gives me that ability . I just wanted to let you know how to do it though.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    Not offended. Actually it was a big deal as to how well the teams and game would be supported in England. I used to know a lot of people from England and their general view of American Football was that it was an over protected version of rugby and basically not worth seeing. It was surprising at how big the whole thing ended up being over there, I really didn't expect it. I must say - all the merchandise and stuff for that game will most likely be worth a lot - since the Giants did end up winning the Super Bowl.
    I watched a program were an American family lived in England for a bit. They went to see a rugby game and were shocked by the players not wearing protection. I play rugby occasionally and it is a hard hitting sport but not really different to American Football. I mean yeah them guys wear protection but some of the tackles make me look like this lol

So in England who basically owns the teams? Are they started by the towns/cities they play in? Does the league control who can and can't have a team? Like right now, NJ has wanted to have a Major League Baseball team - but Steinbrenner - the owner of the New York Yankees said that New Jersey will NEVER have a team as long as he is alive. When the Montreal Expos decided to leave Montreal, New Jersey made an small effort to attract them. They are now the Washington Nationals.
    In England, it basically is businessmen/women that have shares in the club. Sometimes, though it is just one businessman as the chairman/owner and he has a board that assist, for instance vice-chairman, chief executive etc. Although every football club have a board, some aren't as 'active' as others. In the Premier League about half the League teams have foreign owners. The owners of any club in England will hardly ever make it look like there in it for money because fan power is huge and an empty stadium each week will hit his profits massively. In the late 1800's, when football was first codified by the FA (but also a few years before), towns and cities formed football teams. Many of these football teams are still around today and, somewhat unfortunately, teams go out of business. Usually a local entrepenuer will buy a plot of land and try and get a new team going in the wake of the old one. The League has a body which are responsible for everything in their League. Sometimes, like what happened to Boston United, the League can reject a team playing in the League because of Administration etc. Some of these bodies have more than one League, i.e. The Football League has three Leagues.

There was supposedly talk of having another Major League Soccer team in the area and them carrying the MetroStars name and the history. The Red Bulls response was that they own the history of the MetroStars - even though the only consider their founding to be 2006.

Right now - what I am hoping for is that the Red Bulls have such terrible attendance that the owners sell them to someone who wants to promote them as New JERSEY team. They haven't been doing too well lately - they supposedly have lost a number of key European players the last couple of weeks - I believe one of them was from Spain.

It would be great if someone from Europe who knew the history of the fight between NY and NJ would start a REAL ML Soccer team in New Jersey and call them "New Jersey ...." I wouldn't care too much if they carried the MetroStars name on them - just as long as they were a TRUE soccer team and not merely a marketing gimmick like the Red Bulls are. Like I said - I really do love soccer and it was one sport I really enjoyed playing too.
    Well I mean as a group of people in football we would love try something like this. I feel that, as someone who has shares in a football club, I would one day like to not just be a shareholder but also an owner and I know that a few of my colleagues and friends might too.
    Last edited by Monk; 06-23-2008 at 05:29 AM.

Banned

Default New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls

Im a transplant from Brooklyn to NYC. I have no car and take the Chinatown bus, but I occasionally have friends visit with cars.

My friend Mary will be down the week of July 15th. Is that too far away?

Tourist

New Jerseyan

Unfortunately, a big part of the problem here in New Jersey is that too many people are indifferent to the name. When the MetroStars were sold and the new owners decided to call the team Red Bull New York, most of the fans from New Jersey just shrugged their shoulders and accepted the New York name without much of a fight.

A few politicians protested briefly, but it never led to anything, and the issue was dropped shortly thereafter.

The town of Harrison very likely is so thrilled that the new stadium is being built there that no public official will say anything negative about the soccer team.

Similarly, barely anyone in the state seems to care that the Giants and Jets football teams continue to use the New York name even after playing in New Jersey for 33 and 25 years respectively.

It's pretty sad, really.

There are probably many New Jersey Nets basketball fans that care about the New Jersey name, but their biggest concern right now is wondering whether or not the team is going to move to Brooklyn, N.Y., in the near future as that is what the team's owner wants to do.

At the present moment, the only major pro sports team in New Jersey whose fans are seemingly proud of the New Jersey name is the Devils hockey team. This past season, the Devils marketing department capitalized on the New Jersey name in its promotions by running "Jersey's Team" advertisements in TV commercials and on billboards and giveaway towels. And partly because of that, most of the team's fans are quite enthusiastic about the team's name.