Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst ... 3456 LastLast

Thread: New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls

New Jersey Tour Guide

Jersey Devil, I cannot find the article in the April issue. I don't think my May issue is here yet. Let me know. I agree with what you say. Nj is getting crumbs.. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    BTW way - read this month's NJ Monthly for a nice arrogant article about Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the "(don't call them New Jersey)" Nets. I hope they lose now too. Here is a tiny quote "When Yormark is asked to defien Brooklyn, he says, it's "an iconic brand that transcends the metropolitan area...[and] is going to present some tremendous opportunities for us. Go to Europe and you'll find Brooklyn Lager," he notes. Yormark pauses before attempting to characterize New Jersey. When I think of New Jersey, I think of -- what does Bruce [Ratner] say? -- the underdog." Basically the article is about how he's trying to build up the Nets into this brand that will allow them to move the Nets over to Brooklyn, with New Jerseyans following like the rats in the Pied Piper.
    I just read the article on Brett Yormark ("The Optimist: Brett Yormark, president and CEO of the (don't call them New Jersey) Nets, wants fans as passionate as the NASCAR faithful--never mind where the future leads," New Jersey Monthly, May 2006, pgs. 35-39).

Basically this guy is a salesman -- albeit a very very successful salesman. I would normally despise a guy like this because he is trying to get New Jerseyans to root for a New York sports team -- yet again -- or what will eventually become another New York sports team. However, he is getting paid so I understand he is just doing his job.

The article does go on to say that, "as a [New Jersey] native," he is "saddened by New Jersey's inability to retain the [Nets]." And that "As a fan," he is "disappointed."

I am more disappointed in New Jersey Monthly for essentially glorifying a guy who is helping to build up a team that will be high-tailing it out of the state in a few years.

Hooray! Yippee! (sarcasm)
    Last edited by A-Line; 05-03-2006 at 12:51 AM.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    I am more disappointed in New Jersey Monthly for essentially glorifying a guy who is helping to build up a team that will be high-tailing it out of the state in a few years.
    I felt the same way here and feel like writing to NJ MOnthly about that very issue. What about doing a story about the Devils and their new arena - forget the Nets - they don't want to be here anymore, then leave. You can bet that if I was governor they would have paid a huge dollar amount to renew their lease while their arena in Brooklyn is still in negotiations. Knowing our state representatives though, they probably gave the naming rights to the Devils new arena to them in addition to low lease payments.

It's funny though, NJ had no problem retaining the team for all those years they were a bunch of losers. Now that they actually win, they turn their backs on us. Now NJ isn't good enough.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Well I wrote my letter -

I really don't understand why you covered such an ungrateful team in your NJ Inc article. For one thing, they are NOT NJ Inc, they will be and for all purposes NY Inc. I thought this was a New JERSEY magazine which is supposed to be promoting New JERSEY, not sports teams who were, until a few years ago, the worst team in the league and now that they win, are picking up and turning their back on us. Bruce Ratner knows that the Nets can't survive without the New Jersey fans, that's why they are trying so hard to build up this "fan base" before they move. Brett Yormark is merely the pied piper who considers New Jerseyans the rats who will follow them to Brooklyn. Well this is one fan who isn't falling for the lies and slick packaging. They want to leave, then I say don't let the door hit you on the way out. The "(don't call them the New Jersey) Nets" spoke volumes to the attitude toward New Jersey and our politicians continue to let New Jersey get walked all over by these ungrateful sports teams. I say support the teams who are PROUD to be in New Jersey, not merely give lip service to it.
    This really should be moved to the Nets thread.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Juast to make peopole aware - the nets items will be moved to the Nets thread tonight. For the time being, I just wanted to say that NJ Monthly e-mailed me back and said they are considering my letter concerning the NJ Inc article for publication in their next issue. I'm hoping they will publish it and that they won't edit it too much. One thing is for sure, they better keep my "pied piper" and "rats" comment in there.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

That is so cool Jersey Devil. You may become famous. There will be plenty of letters to the editor also. lol. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Default Any more plans for DropNY.com?

Well well - I got the domain name. Just making this clear that this new site has no association with AboutNewJersey.com at all. DropNY.com is the domain name. Nothing up yet, but it wil need supporters and contributors.
    I'm sure you have a lot on your plate. But I just wanted to let you know that I still have an interest in your DropNY.com website.

Be sure to let us know when there are any further developments.

The Giants, Jets, Red Bulls don't play in New York!

Go Pride! Go Devils!

Go New Jersey!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Devil, How is the domain coming along? I have not heard a thing about it for ages. I am interested also. Are you still working on it? Marianita

Thanks A-Line and Marianita. A lot of times to get motivated in something it takes input from others. I haven't worked on the site in a while - I do have the general look and I think the logo looks good, but I haven't done anything with it since then. I do have shirts that I can sell off of CafePress, not that I actually make anything off of them through there. Check out the store and tell me what you think - http://www.cafepress.com/dropny

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

Hi Jersey Devil, The shirts look nice. Is there a reason you have not continued with the website? I am thinking that you may be planning how you are going to do it. Keep us posted. I know you work full time so are busy. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Thanks A-Line and Marianita. Check out the store and tell me what you think - http://www.cafepress.com/dropny
    I like the bumper sticker and the backs of the shirts where the Giants, Jets & Red Bulls team names are listed with the NY crossed off and NJ scribbled on.

JD, I did not understand why the New York Giants pissed you off so much until now. I didn't realise how many New Jersey professional teams tried to pass themselves off as New York for some inexplicable reason.

If I were in your shoes that would really tick me off too - it's an epidemic of weak cop-outs! And not only is the team jumping ship, they now have the worst name in the history of sports, the Red Bulls. Yet another reason for me to hate that stupid energy drink.

(Reason #1 is insidious and annoying advertising. The stupid Red Bull girls are always wandering around my university campus, giving out free drinks. Have some respect for yourself ladies and get real jobs.)

It's one thing to pay a team to stick your name on their stadium (GM Place, Safeco Field, etc.), it's a whole other ball game to actually rename the team. I hope Red Bull gets some seriously negative press for their heavy-handed renaming.

But why would the MetroStars allow this? I'm sure they could have put a condition on the team's sale that they stay named the New Jersey MetroStars, did Red Bull offer them so much money that they just couldn't refuse? Were they on the brink of bankruptcy?

What you guys need over there is some uppity Vancouverites to give them a hard time. This situation is analogous to the Vancouver Canucks being renamed the Alberta Red Bulls. There would be riots in the street. No, seriously.

Edit: Appropriately, this post has elevated me to the rank of New Jerseyan. And I am proud to wear it!
    Last edited by Nurvingiel; 01-21-2008 at 10:13 PM.

I'm happy to cal you "New Jerseyan" too.

The team was sold to the owners of Red Bull. They have a team in Germany also named Red Bull.

See - the teams feel that NY is better for marketing "no one knows where New Jersey is". That's what I'm always told. The thing is that if so many of the things that happen or take place in NJ - was marketed as New Jersey - people would know about us. The American Idol Auditions took place in NJ, but were marketed as NY. As a matter of fact - NJ contestants had to pretend they traveled to NY for it, even though it was taking place at the Meadowlands. Live Earth - the huge concert this past summer, was marketed as Live Earth NY. They went so far as having the location listed as Meadowlands NY on their website - not Meadowlands NJ as it should have been.

BTW 0 do you notice how spell checkers always mark New Jerseyan as a misspelling - however Californian, New Yorker, Carolinian are not?

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    I'm happy to cal you "New Jerseyan" too.

The team was sold to the owners of Red Bull. They have a team in Germany also named Red Bull.
    Naming a team after a company, even if it's your company, automatically means your team has a stupid name. It simply divorces the team from actual sport too much - a team's name conveys a lot. When the Anaheim Ducks were owned by Disney and called the Mighty Ducks, was the first thing that came to mind that they were a talented hockey team? No. You think about that Emilio Estevez movie for which the team was named. The last thing a soccer team needs is their fans thinking "Red Bull gives you wiiiiiings" when they're watching a game.

See - the teams feel that NY is better for marketing "no one knows where New Jersey is". That's what I'm always told.
    The obvious response would be, "Then they should move to New York, because we don't need those wannabes." That is seriously feeble.

Besides, if you know something about American geography (I can only name two mountain ranges and two of your major rivers) you know where New Jersey is.

The thing is that if so many of the things that happen or take place in NJ - was marketed as New Jersey - people would know about us. The American Idol Auditions took place in NJ, but were marketed as NY. As a matter of fact - NJ contestants had to pretend they traveled to NY for it, even though it was taking place at the Meadowlands. Live Earth - the huge concert this past summer, was marketed as Live Earth NY. They went so far as having the location listed as Meadowlands NY on their website - not Meadowlands NJ as it should have been.
    American Idol has hit a new low.

BTW 0 do you notice how spell checkers always mark New Jerseyan as a misspelling - however Californian, New Yorker, Carolinian are not?
    As a Canadian I definitely sympathise. "Sympathise" is outlined as being wrong (I've enabled Firefox's spell checker) even though I know it's the correct British spelling. I use British "ise" endings just to rebel against American spelling always being the default.

Other words that are considered misspelled include:
    silviculture
    silvics
    Vancouverite
    Quebecker
    Newfounlander

And I'm bored now.

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line View Post
    I like the bumper sticker and the backs of the shirts where the Giants, Jets & Red Bulls team names are listed with the NY crossed off and NJ scribbled on.
    I put the DropNY.com bumper sticker on my car's back bumper a few weeks ago. When I am stopped at traffic lights, I often look in my rearview mirror and see other drivers looking down and reading it.

One lady actually drove up to the side of my car as I was coasting, rolled down her window, and said that she liked my bumper sticker and that she was going to buy one.

Keep up the good work!

www.dropny.com
    Last edited by A-Line; 04-30-2008 at 10:43 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default MetroStars renamed New York Red Bulls

Hi A Line. How have you been? I like the bumpersticker too and think it is cool. I would get one but I don't think it would make much of an impression here.
    I can imagine the attention that sticker is getting there. lol. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita View Post
    Hi A Line. How have you been? I like the bumpersticker too and think it is cool. I would get one but I don't think it would make much of an impression here.
    I can imagine the attention that sticker is getting there. lol. Marianita
    Hey Marianita. I've been good, thanks! I float in and out of here every once in a while. But I'm always out and about supporting anything Jersey!

As for my DropNY.com bumper sticker, I bought my car new from the dealer a few years ago and never considered sticking a bumper sticker on it. But every now and then, driving around, I would see some really interesting bumper stickers on other cars -- mostly political stuff. That's when I decided to put the DropNY.com bumper sticker on my car.

I think bumper stickers can really tell you a lot about what a person believes. And I firmly believe in dropping the NY names from all of our pro sports teams so ...

Hope you are doing well too!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line View Post
    As for my DropNY.com bumper sticker, I bought my car new from the dealer a few years ago and never considered sticking a bumper sticker on it. But every now and then, driving around, I would see some really interesting bumper stickers on other cars -- mostly political stuff. That's when I decided to put the DropNY.com bumper sticker on my car.
    Wow! i feel even more honored! Thank you for your support. I really wish i had more time to devote to that site than I do at this moment - especially before the Super Bowl. I could have gotten some reall media attention with that and really have gotten the word out that many New Jerseyans feel they should drop NY and preferably take NJ as their RIGHTFUL name - since they are New JERSEY teams and have nothing to do with that city across the river.

I have to get a new bumper sticker - I also don't put bumper stickers on my car - but I did put this one on my rear window (I have a 95 Trans Am)

I wanted to thank you once again for your support.

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Right, before I start I just want to say hello to everyone... I'm Just wondering how many people on here are against the takeover of New York/New Jersey MetroStars or MetroStars as they were known?

I am asking as I'm from England (and we love our football here) and I think that this isn't good for football, although you may think differently. If you are against the takeover, is it the majority of the MetroStars supporters that are also against the takeover?

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Right, before I start I just want to say hello to everyone... I'm Just wondering how many people on here are against the takeover of New York/New Jersey MetroStars or MetroStars as they were known?

I am asking as I'm from England (and we love our football here) and I think that this isn't good for football, although you may think differently. If you are against the takeover, is it the majority of the MetroStars supporters that are also against the takeover?
    Welcome Monk. Soccer - or as it is called in Europe - football - is very big in New Jersey. I am against the takeover and renaming of the MetroStars. I hate it so much that I will not drink Red Bull at all.

I was wondering why exactly you think the takeover isn't not good for soccer? I figured it would basically just be a New Jersey issue and not affect the soccer world as a whole. I believe the Red Bull also own a team in Germany and of course named them "Red Bulls".

I hate any team that plays in New Jersey and claims to be a New York team. I understand they are doing terrible this year, I haven't been paying that much attention. I support the New Jersey Ironmen - which is our Major Indoor Soccer League team. Indoor soccer, is different than outdoor - but I'll support the proud to be in New Jersey team before ever giving a wannabe New York team the time of day.

see DropNY.com for more information.

BTW - if you are unfamiliar with the hatred between New York and New Jersey - I describe it as the historic relationship between Germany and France. It can also be described as England and France also. Instead of us going to war with each other - since we are a part of the same union - we take our fights to the Supreme Court.

New Jersey Proud!