Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls

New Jerseyan

Default metros

I have not given up in this fight either .
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

There are SO MANY issues. I can't even stand that the newspaper is saying "South Jersey" with south capitalized. There is NO SOUTH Jersey or North Jersey - it is NEW Jersey. I say southern New Jersey to represent the southern portion of the state - since that's a geographic reference. That is why so many people treat New Jersey as two different states. But one issue at a time on this whole thing anyway.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Thumbs up NEW JERSEY REDBULL

A small victory for New Jersey . The redbulls must use N.J. in their name if they want to continue to play at the Meadowlands . Unfortunatly we have to share the team name with the people across the river . Its nice to see the people in charge at the Meadowlands stick up for GOOD OLD NEW JERSEY unlike our politicans .

New Jerseyan

Default What "Exactly" is this new deal?

Once again, our state is getting the shaft as far as I am concerned. In a few years, we will only have the New Jersey Devils and the lacrosse team, whose name escapes me at the moment.

Two articles here, and nowhere do I see where it says that the Red Bull soccer team is going to include New Jersey in their team name. I see where it says that they will "change the team's logo that prominently displayed New York" -- notice that it doesn't say that they will "include New Jersey" in the team logo. I see where it says that "they will refer to New Jersey on their tickets and on collateral material, such as marketing brochures" -- what does that mean exactly, "refer to New Jersey?"

Call me skeptical but ...

Here are the two articles:

The Record

March 23, 2006

Soccer Team, N.J. Call Truce in Battle over New Name

By John Brennan
    Staff Writer

EAST RUTHERFORD -- Red Bull New York is keeping its new name -- but the Major League Soccer team agreed Wednesday to refer to its New Jersey home "when appropriate."

The compromise came after a meeting between Red Bull executive Dan Ginsberg and George Zoffinger, president of the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority.

"They have committed to us that they will refer to New Jersey on their tickets and on collateral material, such as marketing brochures," Zoffinger said. "There was a good spirit of cooperation, where they will try to make New Jersey prominent whenever possible."

The truce comes two weeks after Zoffinger objected to the soccer team's name change from MetroStars to Red Bull New York. Zoffinger suggested that he might not allow the Red Bulls to play in Giants Stadium unless the franchise included New Jersey in its title. The soccer team began play a decade ago as the NY/NJ MetroStars, although it had largely dropped the geographical reference in recent years.

Governor Corzine, U.S. Sen. Frank Lautenberg and other elected officials protested the Big Apple-flavored name change by the Austria-based energy drink company, which bought the team recently.

But Wednesday morning, several members of the sports authority board -- including Joseph Buckelew and Ray Bateman -- told Zoffinger they were skeptical he could do anything about the name. The board members said that the more important issue was keeping the professional soccer team in New Jersey.

"For 30 years, we haven't been able to take 'New York' off the franchises here," Bateman said, referring to the New York Giants and New York Jets National Football League teams.

Zoffinger said Ginsberg informed him the company had not realized the importance to New Jerseyans to be included in the team name. The Red Bulls intend to exercise an option to play at Giants Stadium in 2007, Zoffinger said.

The franchise is expected to begin play in the new 20,000-seat outdoor Red Bull Arena in Harrison in 2008. But Zoffinger said an option likely would be added to play that year in Giants Stadium if construction work -- scheduled to begin in August -- were to be delayed.

A Red Bulls spokesman did not return a call seeking comment.

E-mail: brennan@northjersey.com

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...VFeXk2OTAxOTY2

The Star-Ledger

March 23, 2006

Bully for New Jersey!

By Matthew Futterman

The soccer team Red Bull New York will have some New Jersey flavor after all.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority and the company that recently purchased and renamed the MetroStars reached a compromise of sorts yesterday that will allow the team to continue playing in Giants Stadium. State officials had suggested they would prohibit the team from playing at the Meadowlands if it went by the name of New Jersey's neighbor to the East.

George Zoffinger, the sports authority's chief executive, said during a meeting yesterday Red Bull executives promised him they would print New Jersey along with New York on their tickets, incorporate New Jersey into its marketing material, and change the team's logo that prominently displayed New York.

-- Matthew Futterman

http://www.nj.com/metrostars/ledger/...770.xml&coll=1

New Jerseyan

Default NEW JERSEY REDBULL

The name of the lacrosse team is the N.J. Pride . This is a team who should get more coverage in this state for doing the right thing and taking our name . They will be playing their home games at Rutgers this season . My wife and I have gone to their games in the past and will go to some this year . Its good entertainment . The league added 4 more teams this year for a total of 10 . We should try to help promote this team by asking papers and news12 to cover this state team .Their website is www.newjerseypride.com
    As far as the redbull goes I still will not support them because their owners and gm disrespected the state . I hope they are a complete failure on and off the field . And I hope the stadium deal in Harrison falls into the Passic river !

Oh - so our wonderful politicians and representatives have rolled over AGAIN!!!! I will not be supporting this team - what - they throw s bones "we'll include NJ where appropriate" I have had it! I am writing follow-up letters to the newspapers.

As for the stadum falling into the river - I don't wish that - it's our tax money going there. I just hope the stands are EMPTY when the RED BULLs play there. Let them suffer the finacial loss.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I have just sent off a letter to various newspapers. I was initially writing it to George Zoffinger, but then the letter didn't make sense to send to him. Anyway, more people see the letters in the newpapers. I suggest to everyone to write to all the newspapers. Here are some e-mail addresses to get people started...

Home News: letters@thnt.com
    Star Ledger: eletters@StarLedger.com
    Bergen Record: LettersToTheEditor@northJersey.com

Have others you know write to them and CALL the Red Bulls.

Here is the latest letter...

So let me get this straight, New Jersey citizens have just had their taxes hiked up while we are building stadiums for teams who don’t even want to be associated with New Jersey?! I am outraged that New Jersey has rolled over and accepted the crumbs that the Red Bulls have offered. I can’t believe that anyone would honestly think that having the Red Bulls agree to incorporate New Jersey “where appropriate” is some sort of victory. The correct response to the Red Bulls would have been “If you don’t call yourself New Jersey, there is New York City – ask them to build you a stadium, but first make sure you ask the Nets where their deal is and where the Jets deal went.” Where were the Red Bulls actually going to go?

So now I want to know – how much is NJ worth? Does New Jersey have any sense of pride or self-respect? Do we have any politician who will actually stand up and fight for NJ? We should just sell the state to NY and be done with it! It sure would solve the budget deficit and lower our property taxes, something our politicians obviously can’t do. While the citizens of New Jersey are being taxed to death, we are giving hundreds of millions of dollars to sports teams who hold their heads down in shame when they have to admit they play in New Jersey.. I am just amazed, but I know I shouldn’t be. This is just more of the same.

As it stands I want to make perfectly clear that I think this is a complete slap in the face to NJ and I will not support this team as long as they have ANY New York mention in their name or marketing material, just as I will not support the Giants or Jets. I have traveled around the country, as well as Canada, where on numerous occasions people have actually insisted to me that New Jersey is part of New York and are truly amazed when I inform them that it isn't. I want to thank our "representatives" for just reinforcing this perception even more.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Excellent. That's a great letter. I hope they publish it.

Right now I'm alternating between fuming and bumming. I'm fuming at our state leaders who didn't stick up for the New Jersey people. And I am bumming that so many regular citizens stayed silent and just let this happen.

I've had letters on the New York team name topic published in both The Record and the Star-Ledger in the past. I'll write one up again -- I just have to let my head clear.

Well I got an e-mail from the Bergen Record, they are going to be printing it, but because they only print 250 words, they are editing it. I'm waiting for them to send me an edited version so I can see what it looks like. I want to make sure it keeps the key points in there - such as - taxes hiked while spending millions on stadium deals, slap in the face to NJ and that I refuse to go to a Red Bulls game or see any team as long as they carry NY on their uniforms or in their name.

Oh and I just looked, the Star Ledger printed my previous letter in today' paper. So it appeared in the Home News and the Star Ledger.

New Jersey Proud!

Well today my "letter" was in the Bergen Record. However I'm not happy with one edit they made...

Regarding "Soccer team, N.J. call truce in battle over new name" (Page A-3, March 23):

So let me get this straight: New Jersey citizens could have their taxes hiked while we are building stadiums for teams who don't even want to be associated with New Jersey. I am outraged that New Jersey has rolled over and accepted the crumbs that the Red Bulls have offered. I can't believe that anyone would honestly think that having the Red Bulls agree to incorporate New Jersey "where appropriate" is some sort of victory.

The correct response to the Red Bulls would have been "If you don't call yourself New Jersey, there is New York City – ask them to build you a stadium, but first make sure you ask the Nets where their deal is and where the Jets deal went." Where were the Red Bulls actually going to go?

So now I want to know how much New Jersey is worth. Does New Jersey have any sense of pride? Do we have any politician who will actually stand up and fight for New Jersey? We should just sell the state to New York and be done with it.

I have traveled around Canada, where on numerous occasions people have actually insisted to me that New Jersey is part of New York and are truly amazed when I inform them that it isn't. I want to thank our "representatives" for reinforcing this perception even more.

Robert Rosetta

Trenton, March 24

The writer is president of AboutNewJersey.com, a Web site promoting New Jersey.
    I'm glad they mentioned AboutNewJersey.com, but the part I am not happy with (I'll put this in spoiler code, so you have a chance to see if YOU an point it out) is

I have traveled around Canada...

Why is that so bad? Well because I have not ONLY heard this in canada, but also in our OWN Country in Indiana and Oregon. I feel they watered down the perception problem by rewording it so it only refer to citizens of another country not knowing that New Jersey is an independant state and not part of NY.

There was another letter in the paper and I wish that person would join the board and share his feelings here....

Regarding "Soccer team, N.J. call truce in battle over new name" (Page A-3, March 23):

So much for our state representatives fighting for the New Jersey name. The deal they just cut, whereby the soccer team keeps its new Red Bull New York name and only has to "refer to New Jersey on their tickets and on collateral material, such as marketing brochures" -- whatever that means -- is really lame.

So now the politicians and the sports authority are happy because they think the state might make some money. Strict soccer fans are happy because the new owners are offering some pretty good ticket deals and seem to be highly committed to building a winning team. New Yorkers are happy because, as the team grows and possibly contends for a championship, New York City will get all the recognition.

And, once again, average New Jerseyans are left feeling like losers because the state name apparently means nothing in particular to our leaders.

The New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority should change its name to the New York Sports and Exposition Authority because that's who it serves best -- New York.

Jason Paneque

River Edge, March 23
    I like the last line - I couldn't agree with him more. We now have THREE New Jersey teams who will be wearing and known as New York.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default metros

I have made more calls about this issue . I like many other New Jerseyans am fedup with our politicians who DO NOT represent us , but care more about money . These politicians must go and we must find those who will put N.J. FIRST ahead of money and new york ! The people at the Meadowlands are also sellouts they never had any intention of working for N.J.s interests .

New Jersey Tour Guide

Oh no, it sounds like a done deal to me. Atleast we can let them know how we feel about it. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Oh no, it sounds like a done deal to me. Atleast we can let them know how we feel about it. It is the most ridiculous thing I have ever heard. Marianita
    As far as I'm concerned - it's not over until NJ is completely annexed by New York. Our wonderful NJ politicians are bringing that day closer and closer though it seems.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Well we can make a fuss about it. I wonder if it can be changed at this time. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Angry Anaheim CA was successful in stopping the Angels

from removing "Anahein" totally from their name. The problem with our NJSEA is that Zoffinger is too busy having "arena wars" with Newark to stand up to the Redbulls. Remember when Ratner purchased the Nets, and Zoffinger made threats to sue the team from using the "NETS" name when the move to Brooklyn? Now he and Bruce Ratner are best buds!! Our head Sports Authority
    guy is really a closet New Yorker!!

New Jerseyan

Default metros

You are right , Zoffinger it does look like is a liar just like ALL N.J. politicians , and hes not even a politician at least I dont think he is . Its nice to know that N.J. tax money paid for the home of 3 n.y. teams . All I can say is root for the Devils , the Pride ( our pro lacrosse team ) and at least for now the Nets . As far as the Nets go does anybody know whats up with their possible move ?

Quote Originally Posted by beatman10
    guy is really a closet New Yorker!!
    To tell you the truth - I think the majority of NJ politicians and New Jerseyans themselves are closet New Yorkers. Or at the very least, they have no sense of self respect and pride.

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    As far as the Nets go does anybody know whats up with their possible move ?
    From what I heard, there is no deal on the arena as of yet and the Nets may have to extend their contract in NJ. My money is going that NJ politicians will allow Ratner to put the "Brooklyn" in the name prior to them leaving NJ. J/K - I seriously hope not - otherwise there are going to be some seriousy protests planned on the Capital Building. But anyway - I had also heard some people say that they felt that if Ratner had to extend the contract in NJ - he may sell the team. He wants them in Brooklyn and out of New Jersey - PERIOD! I suppose he hates NJ, but if he can convince New Jerseyans to still support the team after they move to Brooklyn - he'll tolerate our money.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

My goodness, a closet New Yorker? Why would anyone be so disloyal? I am surprised that 3 of the New Jersey teams wear NY names. When there is money involved some people will do anything, even be disloyal to their state. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    My goodness, a closet New Yorker? Why would anyone be so disloyal? I am surprised that 3 of the New Jersey teams wear NY names. When there is money involved some people will do anything, even be disloyal to their state. Marianita
    I don't think from their stand point that they look at it as disloyalty. I think they just don't care about New Jersey's image or reputation. New Jersey is for sale by our politicians - pure and simple and it seems as if most New Jerseyans just turn a blind eye or they themselves don't care.

New Jersey Proud!