Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: New JERSEY MetroStars renamed New YORK Red Bulls

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    A-Line you must call your elected officials and let them know how you feel . If you dont they can only assume eveything is ok . Some of us have already made calls . We are not second fiddle to anyone . I let them know I was against the metros not using N.J. in their name and I also told them I did not support $30 million dollars of taxpayer money to help the giants and jets for their new stadium if they dont take N.J.s name .
    $30 million? That's only a small fraction of the amount NJ gave to the Giants for the stadium. A lot of the numbers were left out - such as the $125 in debt forgiveness to the Giants. $30 million was what codey only wanted the public to know about, but it is costing NJ tax payers much more. We even gav up all the revenue from concerts or any other events that take place at the Stadium, which we currently get, just so Codey could have his sports teams.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Default Time for Action

A couple of things:

Bear with me because I never did this before. But I really want to take action. This issue has been bugging me for years ... I mean, YEARS.

Which elected officials should I contact? Town, County, State? I read a listing of some of the politicians in some of the earlier posts, but they might not be my particular representatives.

Also, check out this MOST IMPRESSIVE Op-Ed piece that ran in today's issue of The Record:

The Record

March 14, 2006

Red Bull's Snub of New Jersey Is Plain Bull

By Jeffrey Page

AGAIN, JERSEY takes it in the gut. It's not enough that the New York Giants have been playing their home games in New Jersey for the last 30 years or that when the New York Jets followed the Giants across the Hudson in 1984 they remained a New York team that just happened to play all its home games in New Jersey.

The television networks and National Football League liked it that way. It was as though they feared that football fans wouldn't tune in to a game if they thought that one of the teams represented the likes of New Jersey, for heaven's sake.

But there's nothing wrong with Jersey.

It's not like New Jersey is some microscopic hamlet in the northern reaches of Manitoba where 40 degrees two days in a row constitutes a heat wave. It's one of the richest states with plenty of money to spend on sports tickets. Its population comes to 8 million intelligent, sports-savvy people.

But the sports brain trust would have you believe that the New Jersey Giants just can never possess the prestige -- the renown -- of something called the Carolina Panthers or the Tampa Bay Buccaneers.

Please. In that refusal to acknowledge the name of this state is a message to New Jerseyans. That is that the NFL can deal with a team that doesn't inform anyone which Carolina the Panthers play in and a team based in Tampa, a place where the favorite pastime is perspiring. But somehow there would be disorder and confusion if a team bore the word "Jersey" -- admittedly a place where the favorite activity is road rage.

And now, another professional sports team is dissing Jersey.

Remember the MetroStars professional soccer team? As reported in The Record on Friday, they're now called Red Bull New York even though they play their home games at Giants Stadium in New Jersey and intend to move to Harrison in Hudson County for the 2008 season.

Not Red Bull New Jersey. Not Red Bull New Jersey/New York.

You might think that Red Bull New York is named for an animal that doesn't precisely exist in nature; after all, most cattle with "red" in their breed names look more brownish than reddish. Or you might think that the Red Bull New York team runs up the soccer field and down -- over and over again to the point of tedium -- at a stadium in New York City or maybe someplace upstate.

Actually, Red Bull is the name of an energy potion manufactured in Austria and also the name of the maker, which bought out the MetroStars.

They're naming a soccer team after a drink like Gatorade, but somehow New Jersey is -- what? -- unworthy to be part of the name of a team?

This won't bode well for Jersey or any of its towns if a major league baseball team ever relocates here. Across the river are two teams called "New York" and they probably won't want a third. So what happened in recent years when the Expos were eager to leave Montreal? They wound up in Washington, a town with no team, and called themselves the Nationals.

Question: What would they have been called if they found a place in New Jersey?

Answer: Maybe the Montreal Expos.

Will New Jersey sports fans ever rebel against this disrespect?

Or will they trade home town pride for a chance to yell for Red Bull New York?

Bet on the latter. Pride's one thing; easy parking and a seat near midfield are something else.

Record columnist Jeffrey Page also writes the North Jersey column.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...FlZUVFeXkxNA==

This is me again, A-Line.

I want to prove the article's last paragraph wrong.

But I've never been involved in any kind of protest before.

Aside from writing letters -- which I've done numerous times before and will gladly do again -- does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm ready to organize, and I'm not kidding.

I'd rather we have just the Devils if no other teams will take on the New Jersey name.

And NY/NJ combination names are no good either. New Jersey is a state, not some little no-name town or city. People have heard of it, I'm sure.

And New Yorkers are more than welcome to come root for New Jersey teams, just as some of us do with their teams.
    Last edited by A-Line; 03-14-2006 at 06:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    A couple of things:

Bear with me because I never did this before. But I really want to take action. This issue has been bugging me for years ... I mean, YEARS.

Which elected officials should I contact? Town, County, State? I read a listing of some of the politicians in some of the earlier posts, but they might not be my particular representatives.
    Welcome A-Line to New Jersey activism. Don't worry - everyone has to start somewhere, so I understand. basically you can go to the NJ Legislature site. there you can look up how to contact your state senator and assemblyman. If you have any problems just tell me what town you live in, if you don't want to say it publicly on the board, just PM me and I can help you out.
    Also, check out this MOST IMPRESSIVE Op-Ed piece that ran in today's issue of The Record:
    I love this article, thank you for posting it. It's about time the newspapers have finally been saying this stuff. Giants and Jets have gotten a free ride from NJ - Codey's main thing was just keeping his sports teams in the state, no matter what the cost.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

One other thing, I find that CALLING and then following up with a letter is the best way. Calling them you have a one on one with at least an aide and get to have a conversation. The letter then reinforces your position in a formal manner.

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by A-Line
    This is me again, A-Line.

I want to prove the article's last paragraph wrong.

But I've never been involved in any kind of protest before.

Aside from writing letters -- which I've done numerous times before and will gladly do again -- does anyone have any other ideas?

I'm ready to organize, and I'm not kidding.

I'd rather we have just the Devils if no other teams will take on the New Jersey name.

And NY/NJ combination names are no good either. New Jersey is a state, not some little no-name town or city. People have heard of it, I'm sure.

And New Yorkers are more than welcome to come root for New Jersey teams, just as some of us do with their teams.
    Well I'm with you, the key is to get a number of people involved. I have some ideas We need to start doing it soon and we need to get the newspapers to tak notice. Without a lot of people, it's really difficult to get noticed. Do you know of anyone else who would get involved. PM me for my ideas.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default PETITION

One word PETITION . I think the papers will be on our side , politicians who knows . But we have to let them know we mean business. We also have to let them know we arent happy with the snub the giants and jets give our state and with the state of N.J. bugget we will not allow them to give any n.y. team any money for any new stadium or improvements to the old stadium . We must force the metros to take our name ! I know this issue has alot of people pissed !
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 03-14-2006 at 08:11 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

I think it might need to be something even more than a petition, that would be one part of it. But there needs to be something that really captures some media attention. When the Giants put NY on their uniforms, someone created shirts with a modified logo that said "NJ Giants". Needless to say, the Giants wre so ashamed of having NJ next to their name that they threatened to sue him, but it did give a lot of attention to the cause.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default ?

Maybe signs hanging from overpasses like the American flags on 287 and 80 .

New Jerseyan

Default famous Jerseyan

Or Get Bon Jovi or another famous Jerseyan to voice their opinion . Bon Jovi would be a good choice because he owns an arena football league team . There are plenty of famous proud people from this state who feel the way we do , the list is endless .

New Jerseyan

I'm all in for a petition, helping with signs, and whatever else we can come up with -- if anything. I'll also try to get others to support the cause.

Re those NJ Giants T-shirts that the Giants put a stop to five or six years ago: I still have mine!

New Jersey Tour Guide

This is the most ridiculous thing I have ever read. I will contact some of those people too. I have heard everything now. I cannot imagine why anyone would allow this. We need to fight it. I will do my part. Marianita

I received a letter from Shirley Turner - Senator 15th District today. She pointed out a resolution- AR159 - which is before the legislature "requesting" that the name be changed to be "more representative of the state". I personally don't think NY should be in the name at all and will not support the team even if they had NJ, but keep NY. No NY money is going to fund this team or build the stadium - so why should NY be in the name.

ASSEMBLY RESOLUTION No. 159

STATE OF NEW JERSEY

212th LEGISLATURE

INTRODUCED MARCH 13, 2006

Sponsored by:

Assemblywoman JOAN M. QUIGLEY

District 32 (Bergen and Hudson)

Assemblyman VINCENT PRIETO

District 32 (Bergen and Hudson)

SYNOPSIS

Urges new name for the former NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team which is more representative of New Jersey.

CURRENT VERSION OF TEXT

As introduced.

An Assembly Resolution expressing great dissatisfaction with the owners of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team over the renaming of the team and strongly urging the adoption of a new name for the team which is more representative of the State of New Jersey.

Whereas, The NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team (the ďteamĒ) was purchased in 2001 by Anschutz Entertainment Group (AEG) from Metromedia; and

Whereas, The sale of the team to the Austrian-based Red Bull company was approved in March, 2006 and the Red Bull company thereafter announced that the team name is changed to Red Bull New York; and

Whereas, For the past ten years, the team has played its home games at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands Complex, a facility owned and operated by the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority; and

Whereas, Not only have tens of thousands of New Jersey residents been loyal supporters of the team, but the team has directly benefited from the expenditure of public funds provided by the taxpayers of New Jersey for the development, maintenance and operation of Giants Stadium at the Meadowlands Complex; and

Whereas, The team is scheduled to relocate to a new stadium to be constructed in the Town of Harrison with substantial financial support from the Hudson County Improvement Authority and will thereby further benefit from the expenditure of public funds to finance the construction and development of that new stadium; and

Whereas, Renaming the team with a name more representative of this State would inform those watching and listening to broadcasts of soccer games from Giants Stadium or the new stadium to be constructed in Harrison that the team is located in New Jersey; and

Whereas, In light of the many contributions of the teamís loyal fan base and the expenditure of public funds during the past 10 years by the State of New Jersey, the removal from the teamís name of any reference to New Jersey displays a great lack of respect for the thousands of this Stateís loyal soccer fans who have supported the team and for all the citizens of New Jersey who have contributed through the expenditure of their tax dollars to support the facilities used by the team; now, therefore,

Be It Resolved by the General Assembly of the State of New Jersey:

1. This House expresses great dissatisfaction with the Red Bull company for its recent decision to omit any reference to New Jersey when it changed the name of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team to Red Bull New York.

2. The Red Bull company is strongly urged to reverse its decision regarding the renaming of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team and to adopt a new name that is more representative of the teamís home state of New Jersey.

3. A duly authenticated copy of this resolution, signed by the Speaker of the General Assembly and attested to by the Clerk thereof, shall be transmitted to the Chief Executive Officer of the Red Bull company.

STATEMENT

This resolution expresses great dissatisfaction with the recent decision by the Red Bull company to change the name of the NY/NJ MetroStars soccer team to Red Bull New York and strongly urges the company to adopt a new name for the team which is more representative of the teamís home state of New Jersey.
    I personally think the resolution is a bit weak, but as i said - some of the politicians stated that they were afraid of losing the money for Harrison. I would like to know where the New JERSEY Red Bulls will go.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Jersey Devil, I quite agree. Using the NY name is in no way representing the state of New Jersey. I just wonder if anything will be done. I wonder how it got started anyway. We will see what happens. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Jersey Devil, I quite agree. Using the NY name is in no way representing the state of New Jersey. I just wonder if anything will be done. I wonder how it got started anyway. We will see what happens. Marianita
    It got started becuase we have politicians who the money is more important than standing up to these teams. The Giants and jets were allowed to do it - so why not ALL the teams that play in NJ?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Politicians are usually filthy rich and money talks. I really do not think New York shoud be in any of New Jersey team names. I doubt that New Jersey name is in any of New York teams. Maybe if enough of us protest they will do something about changing things. Marianita

New Jerseyan

Default Record editorial & letter to the editor

Last week The Record editorial staff put together a nice little editorial mocking the "Red Bull New York" name. But then, the next day, The Record published a letter to the editor from a New Jersey gentleman who doesn't understand what the big fuss is about. Check them both out:

The Record

March 15, 2006

What's In a Name?

By The Record's Editorial Staff

IT'S bad enough that the former MetroStars soccer team's new name doesn't include New Jersey.

"Red Bull New York" is a particularly painful snub, since it's a New Jersey team and will stay that way for a long time.

But the other half of the team's new name is even more upsetting. Red Bull is an energy drink, and the makers of the drink bought the team last week. So Red Bull New York is not just a team name but a powerful built-in -- and obnoxious -- advertisement as well. No other major U.S. sports team has a brand in its name.

"Crass" is the adjective that comes most readily to mind.

Another consideration: A lot of soccer fans are kids. But Red Bull isn't a drink for children. It's a high-caffeine sugary drink that college students on all-nighters use to finish term papers or study for exams. It's also used by some fitness buffs and extreme-sports athletes.

It's marketed mostly to teens and 18- to 25-year-old males. Some people combine it with a night of drinking alcohol because they can stay awake longer. Vodka and Red Bull is a popular cocktail.

Its makers say Red Bull is safe. It's the top-selling energy drink in a $3 billion U.S. market. But Red Bull and other energy drinks are banned in France, Denmark, Norway and Argentina because of health questions about their high-caffeine contents and whether they can become addictive. And it's OK to name a sports team after this potion?

What's next, the Vegas Viagras? The Milwaukee Miller Lites?

Give us a break.

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...FlZUVFeXkxNA==

The Record

March 16, 2006

Your Views

Regarding Jeffrey Page's column "Red Bull's snub of New Jersey is plain bull" (Other Views, March 14): I am always mystified at the chest thumping that New Jerseyans do whenever the subject comes up that a professional sports team in New Jersey is using New York as part of its name.

Most professional sports teams are named after the nearest major city, and not the location they play in. The Buffalo Bills, for example, aren't in Buffalo but Orchard Park, N.Y., and I've yet to see them complain that Orchard Park is being disrespected. Nor are the citizens of Massachusetts upset that the Patriots are called the New England Patriots.

I think we should be more worried about a team leaving than about what they want to call themselves. As long as the Nets don't move to Brooklyn, I'll be happy whether they call themselves the New Jersey Nets, the Newark Nets or anything else (just don't change the name to the Swamp Dragons, which they thought about doing awhile back).

You would think that with all the Jersey jokes out there, we'd all have a thicker skin by now.

William Angus

Bogota, March 14

http://www.northjersey.com/page.php?...l5Njg5NzUwMA==

While I can understand where the man from Bogota is coming from, I can also see that he is missing some main points.

There is no comparison between the city of Orchard Park and the state of New Jersey. Orchard Park has an approximate population of 29,000 people. The state of New Jersey has approximately 8.5 million people.

The name New England represents a whole region. The name New York represents New York -- city and state.

If some people around here think that it's perfectly OK that teams in New Jersey use the "New York" name, that the "New York" name represents our state, then how come the Nets -- if they move to New York -- are supposed to be called the Brooklyn Nets? Shouldn't they be called the New York Nets (like they once were)? After all, not only does the borough of Brooklyn have six million less people than the state of New Jersey but it is actually located in New York City!

To me, as far as the people of New Jersey are concerned, this whole name thing comes down to pride. Either you are proud to be from New Jersey (and its cities) or you're not!

I wish our state legislators would see it that way.

The problem with NJ is that a lot of people are of the attitude of "so what" when it comes to this type of issue. However, I don't see any teams playing in NY with the NJ name attached to them. One of the key reasons for having sports teams, is about the marketing and the publicity when they are playing on TV. True most teams play in outskirting small communities, but NO TEAM, other than Washington DC teams, play in another state. It would be like the Celevalnad Browns moving to Eerie PA, having the tax payers of PA pay for a new stadium and saying - well we'll still be called the Cleveland Browns.

Another thing that bothers me is this NJ attitude that our cities are small. They are relatively small in population because they are small in land area. However, we have a huge metropolitan area which is rapidly building up into nice skylines along the river, along with Newark. NJ is NOT a suburb of NY. Some of our towns and cities are OLDER than NY.

With regards to the article itself. I disagree with the editorial about which is more ridiculous, calling the team NY or calling it Red Bulls. I didn't even know it was an energy drink, I had heard the name, but thought it was a beer. Either way - I'm not going to drink it. That part of the name I have no problem with, it's our tax dollars going to support a team that has NY in it's name. Enough is enough!

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

I wondered where I had heard that name, ''red bulls.'' lol. Well, tell me what I can do and I will do my part. If they ask me what city I live in what shall I say? Marianita

New Jerseyan

Default Another MLS team coming to Jersey?

First, regarding the Red Bull New York team, I called my senator, Gerald Cardinale in District 39, to find out what, if anything, he was going to do about the new team name, and spoke with one of his aides. She took my message, and, later, someone else from his office called me back and left a message on my machine. The senator recommended I get in touch with the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority (NJSEA).

I also called one of my assemblymen, John E. Rooney, District 39, and spoke with one of his aides. Again someone called me back and left a message. She said that Rooney doesn't want to comment on the issue until someone brings up some legislation. I had told the woman earlier that I had heard that there was some legislation in the works.

At the advice of JerseyDevil, I am going to follow up my phone calls with a letter. I will also call and write my other assemblyperson.

Now, in other news, has anyone else heard that Rowan University is in talks with MLS to house a brand new soccer team in Glassboro? It seems that the league wants to tap into the Philly market.

So, eventually, New Jersey could be home to two MLS soccer teams. And there is a very good possibility that NEITHER of them will have a New Jersey-based name! (Articles on this subject are available on the websites for The Gloucester Times, Bridgeton News, Star-Ledger, Philadelphia Inquirer, et al. I found them easily by searching on those websites for recent articles on Rowan University.)

New Jerseyan

Default Article Clip & Links

Here is a clip of an article that appeared in the March 21 issue of The Star-Ledger; it mentions both the proposed team in South Jersey and the Red Bull New York team in North Jersey:

The Star-Ledger

March 21, 2006

South Jersey Team Faces Owner, Name Issues

By Frank Giase
    Star-Ledger Staff

This is a first. Major League Soccer always has relied on a simple 1-2-3 game plan for its franchises: 1. Team. 2. Owner. 3. Soccer stadium. And in times when No. 2 couldn't be found and No. 3 couldn't be built, No. 1 (see Miami Fusion and Tampa Bay Mutiny) could no longer exist.

Now Rowan University comes along offering a stadium plan in a market MLS has been drooling over for 10 years. The problem with Philadelphia always has been the lack of a local owner and no place to play.

So now the question is: If they build it, will he come?

MLS president Mark Abbott said yesterday that prospective owners would not likely commit until after the stadium plans are in place. Once that is done, an owner might help pay for the facility.

But under the agreement between MLS and Rowan, there is only a 120-day window to get a plan, which includes a developer and a funding package, in place. And in New Jersey, nothing gets done in four months (i.e., we've been hearing for two years that the bonds for the Harrison stadium will be issued in "60 to 90 days").

And then there's that name thing again. This team is not going to be called the South Jersey Whatevers and expect to draw its main fan base from Philadelphia.

And that leads to the quote of the week, from a high-ranking person familiar with the situation. "Can you imagine what the politicians will say if there are two MLS teams playing in New Jersey and neither one has New Jersey in its name?"

At the moment, the New York Red Bulls are trying to dodge a fight with New Jersey politicians who don't want another team that plays in Giants Stadium using another state's name.

Team president Alexi Lalas said fans need not worry about threats from the New Jersey Sports and Exposition Authority, which controls Giants Stadium, to ban Red Bull from using the building as long as it has New York in the name. The team has enough trouble selling tickets without having its home field in doubt.

"The New York Red Bulls will kick off April 8 at Giants Stadium," Lalas said.

But the controversy won't go away. Yesterday, State Assembly members Joan M. Quigley and Vincent Prieto, both Hudson County Democrats, introduced a bill expressing the state's frustration with the decision. Also, George Zoffinger said he will discuss the matter with the agency's board of commissioners at its meeting tomorrow. Zoffinger has threatened to take Red Bull to court, though the team's lease with the sports authority says nothing specific about its name.

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...?colgia&coll=1

Here's the link to another article on the same subject, although there are plenty of other recent articles out there:

http://www.nj.com/search/index.ssf?/...sports&coll=10

Honestly, this whole situtation makes me sad.

I don't see any of our politicians doing anything significant. Not yet, anyway.

I always dreamed that someday more and more New Jerseyans would see the light and back our own pro sports teams. Lately, though, it looks more and more like that was just a pipe dream.

I'm not giving up, though.

Go Devils.