Attached is the list of the Best Burgers in NJ

http://cityguide.aol.com/northjersey...ws%2etext2%2e1
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Attached is the list of the Best Burgers in NJ

http://cityguide.aol.com/northjersey...ws%2etext2%2e1
    I'm always leerey of those "best" lists because it's just where the majority go and who happened to vote, not necessarily the best. I've seen fat food pizza listed as the "best pizza" before in a NJ best listing. Come on - any TRUE pizzeria is better than the fast food junk.

Anyway - didn't look closely at the "best burger" listing, just wanted to throw my two cents in.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I agree, Wonder bread, salami and tomato soup is not the same as a pepperoni pizza.
    Also, I'm not a big fan of half pound plus burgers. I checked out the two places on the list in New Brunswick and one was 8 oz and the other was 10 oz. Ouch.
    NEW JERSEY.....What happens here......Gets buried in the Pine Barrens.

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Thumbs up Best Hamburgers in the World!

I started going to this place as a teenager, and go back every time I'm in Bergen County. They cook their hamburgers on a charbroiler set into a brick hearth that must be ten feet wide. As they cook, the flames leap a foot into the air. They have a condiment bar with slices of raw onions, pickles, ketchup, mustard, Worcestershire Sauce, etc.

They are everything I expect a hamburger to be. I refuse to eat a burger that is cooked on a grill rather than charbroiled.

In all my travels, I have never found another place as good, though some of the pub-type restaurants in Manhattan come close.

Fireplace Restaurant
    718 N State Rte 17
    Paramus,*NJ*07652-3107**
    (201) 444-2362

You know where I used to love getting a hamburger at? The Sawmill in Seaside on the boardwalk. They used to have a grill that you could just walk up to and order a hamburger. Now they've remodeled the place and made it more into a sports bar atmosphere - (See the Sawmill thread). I suppose the hamburgers taste the same, but it's just not the same experience as ordering them and eating them outside. I just liked the more "Jersey Shore" amosphere it had before. Now it just feels like eating in a TGI Fridays.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

Burgers I've tasted are almost the same I couldn't tell the difference. Must be my tastebuds.

Default One of my favorite subjects

Whenever anyone brings up pizza or hamburgers, they get my attention!

As I noted in my post above, I started going to this place as a teenager and it remains the yardstick by which I measure all other hamburgers:

Fireplace Restaurant
    718 N State Rte 17
    Paramus,*NJ*07652-3107**
    (201) 444-2362

Spending the first 22 years of my life in New Jersey, then 2 years in New York, I took good hamburgers almost for granted. I first went to the Fireplace around age 15 and didn't visit my first McDonald's until 17, so my taste in burgers was trained early on to prefer the premium charbroiled burger over the fast food variety.

My family owned two restaurants when I was a teenager (called Olde Bill Bailee Ice Cream Parlor and Sandwich Shop), one in Passaic and another in Jersey City. We had charbroilers in both. I loved to bounce the burgers on the grill on top of the charbroiler, because droplets of fat would fall onto the ceramic coals and the flames would shoot high! That seared the burgers and produced that really smoky taste. To me, that is the most important factor charbroiling, versus cooking on a flat metal griddle.

I consider a hamburger to be a type of steak. (In fact, Liss's drug store on Jersey City's Journal Square years ago called their hamburgers "steak burgers.") They also charbroiled theirs, as do most of the better hamburger places in New Jersey and New York.

I'm also a big condiment person, and one of the things I like about the Fireplace (and some of the Burger and Brew-type pubs in Manhattan) is that they are generous with condiments such as onions, pickles, and Worcestershire Sauce (only Lea & Perrins) and even A-1 Steak sauce. Though I also use ketchup, I find the steak sauces bring out the beefy, steak-like flavor of ground beef.

One would think that with its reputation for cattle and cowboys, you would find good hamburgers in Texas. Wrong! I found it almost impossible to find a good, New Jersey-style charbroiled burger in Texas. You know something is wrong when you hear so many Texans say they like "old-fashioned, GREASY burgers"! (They pronounce greasy "GreeZZee" in Texas, by the way, drawing it out so you can almost taste the grease as they say it!) They actually prefer hamburgers cooked in a puddle of their own grease, rather than have the grease burned off on a charbroiler. And to top it off, almost all Texans put mayonaise on hamburgers and so much lettuce and tomato you can barely taste the meat. And they like them well done and dried out. I'd rather take my chances on the 1-in-1,000,000 odds of salmonella and have a little juice in my burger.

Many years ago, my grandfather took me to a place called Sandy's Charcoal Hearth on Route 4 between Hackensack and Paramus. (I doubt if it's there anymore.) That was my introduction to a good charbroiled burger and it was love at first bite!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-02-2007 at 09:43 AM.

Recent Resident

Default Eatontown

I know it's obscure, but I had one of the best burgers I've had in a long time when I went to Eatontown to see some friends play baseball. A small deli near Hockhockson Park, right off the Parkway at exit 105. They make it right there for you, and it kicked butt. Simple burger, cheese, lettuce, tomotatoes, jalapenos. But it tasted fantastic. Better than any fast food place can offer.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Best Burger

Hi MABL, Now that sounds like my kind of burger, one that kicks butt. lol. I like jalapenos on everything. I do not eat too many hamburgers because of the fat. The ones the brothers at church grill are awfully good.
    There is a resturaunt in Marlton called Bob Evans and all their food is quality and well served. I am going to have a hamburger there to see how good it is. Marianita

Default NJ vs. Calif. burgers

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi MABL, Now that sounds like my kind of burger, one that kicks butt. lol. I like jalapenos on everything. I do not eat too many hamburgers because of the fat. The ones the brothers at church grill are awfully good.
    There is a resturaunt in Marlton called Bob Evans and all their food is quality and well served. I am going to have a hamburger there to see how good it is. Marianita
    Hi Marianita,

Moving to California was a challenge for me to find good burgers (and good pizza, too!)

A native Californian thought I was a hopeless Easterner becuse I didn't care for In 'N' Out, the iconic California burger place. (My opinion: it was too excessive, too loaded up with everything but the kitchen sink, defeating the purpose of what a hamburger was originally meant to be a piece of grilled ground beef on a bun.)

I did find a hamburger I liked in California, though, Carl's Famous Star burger at Carl's Jr. That was my idea, formed in New Jersey, of what a hamburger was supposed to be: charbroiled beef on a bun, maybe with some grilled onions and ketchup. I like to taste the beef.

I also liked Carl's chargrilled chicken sandwich served on a bun with a mild, light green Anaheim pepper. I don't know if it was called the Southwest chicken or Santa Fe chicken or something like that, but it was good.

Have you ever seen the movie called California Dreamin' with Robbie Benson? He moves from Jersey City to L.A. and is surprised how much it reminds him of Jersey!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Question best burgers

Hi Jersey Warren, How have you been? I have tried the Carl's Jr superstar and it is good indeed. I happened to think of a burger served to me in Leon Juanajuato Mexico. It was loaded with jalapenos and cheese and it was really good too. The IN and Out goes back a long way. We still have some here. The way you described the ideal hamburger is the way the brothers in church grill them so that is why they are so good.
    I have seen that movie but it seems to be a long long time ago.
    By the way Jersey Warren, I will soon be on New Jersey soil. I can hardly wait to hug my grandchildren. The NJ baby is 6 months old.
    By the way,. as regards the hamburger it is very important to load on the red onion, lettuce and tomato and pickle and a piece of cheese. The fatter it is the better. Hold the ketchup. lol. A jalapeno will give it the needed fire. I am craving on now.
    I have not done a thing to pack as yet with so much work, a job and 1/2. But you can be sure I will get it done quick. I want to travel light so I can bring back stuff but seem to think I need everything. I am so excited I can hardly wait. JD, do you think the nor'easter will go away by the first? Marianita

Tourist

Wink Best burgers In North Jersey

the best burgers in North Jersey are at The Grande Saloon in Clifton,NJ. They are just the best tasting I have ever had

New Jerseyan

The Iron Horse in Westwood makes a good, fresh meat burger and puts the cheese in the middle. You get fresh cut thick railroad fries with it and they give you excellent sour pickles and very, very good homemade cowl slaw on the table. It's a nice clean and relaxing environment. Reasonable...Nothing fancy.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default the best burger

Hi web04. I saw that Iron Horse place on tv. They were showing the best places to eat in each state. I have never been to Clifton myself. There is nothing like a great hamburger.Lets see, grilled meat, lettuce a slice of cheese, pickle, red onion mustard and a bit of Hellman's, perfect. lol. Marianita

Tourist

Default Best New Jersey Burgers Blog Post

Hi Dave, the link you have listed is no longer valid. I just did a post on my blog yesterday on best burgers in NJ. Hope you'll take a look. JerseyBites.com, A Quest for Food with Attitude. Best Burger's In New Jersey

Deborah Smith
    follow me on Twitter @jerseybites

Default Pul-Leeze!

How anyone can compile a list of best burgers in New Jersey and leave off the Fireplace in Paramus (see my earlier post) is beyond me! I not only consider it to be the best hamburger place in New Jersey, but after having lived in New York, Massachusetts, California, Texas, Louisiana, Wisconsin, and Florida and having passed through all of the states between those and eaten many hamburgers along the road, I think the Fireplace has the best hamburgers in the United States, and possibly, in all the WORLD!

Fireplace Restaurant
    718 N State Rte 17
    Paramus,*NJ*07652-3107*

Again, personal taste comes into this evaluation, so I will define what I consider to be a good hamburger.

1. It MUST be charbroiled. It doesn't matter if the meat is fresh ground or not, it's how it's cooked that matters. (I've cooked frozen patties on a charcoal grill and had excellent results.) The charcoal flavor is ESSENTIAL to an excellent hamburger. (This rules out all places that do not charbroil, including White Manna, McDonald's, Wendy's, White Castle, etc.

2. There should be a wide variety of condiments available, but these should not be on the bun with the hamburger. Nothing should be on the bun except meat (or cheese if it's a cheeseburger, or fried onions, if the customer wants them.) If I want a salad, I'll order a salad. If I order a hamburger, I want meat on the bun, period. I especially don't want lettuce on a hamburger, and certainly not mayo.

All ingredients that have not been cooked should be on the side at a condiment bar. A well-stocked condiment bar like the Fireplace's has ketchup, mustard, sliced raw onions, Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce, A-1 Steak Sauce, and pickles. (I use ALL of the above, except mustard, which in keeping with the New Jersey condiment rules, goes only on PINK meat like hot dogs and ham!)

3. The customer should have the option of having the hamburger cooked to order. I know someone got salmonella poisoning from an undercooked hamburger at a Jack In the Box in Seattle once, but that is a rarity. I like a hamburger that's a little light pink in the middle but charred with stripes as black as coal on the outside. I'd be willing to sign a release promising not to sue if I contracted salmonella if a place would cook it the way I want.

Tourist

Default The Fireplace in Paramus

Nope, the Fireplace did not come up, but thanks for the tip. I will add it to our map. And, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBites View Post
    Nope, the Fireplace did not come up, but thanks for the tip. I will add it to our map. And, thanks for the warm welcome to the forum.
    I have to admit, when I first saw that you had registered with the name - JerseyBites - I was thinking - anti-New Jerseyan. Now I see where you get the name JerseyBites from. It's very eye catching, and the name is rather ironic.

Welcome to the AboutNewJersey.com messageboard.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Default Jersey Bites

Nope, not an editorial blog, its all about food in the great Garden State. I just have a good healthy Jersey sense of humor. I thought it was a fun name. Some people might be confused at first, but they figure it out eventually. I'm a Jersey girl born and raised. I got sick of reading the big Food sites and never seeing New Jersey in the areas they highlight. So, JerseyBites.com was born. I also love to cook and its a place to share recipes.

Thanks for the welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyBites View Post
    Nope, not an editorial blog, its all about food in the great Garden State. I just have a good healthy Jersey sense of humor. I thought it was a fun name. Some people might be confused at first, but they figure it out eventually. I'm a Jersey girl born and raised. I got sick of reading the big Food sites and never seeing New Jersey in the areas they highlight. So, JerseyBites.com was born. I also love to cook and its a place to share recipes.

Thanks for the welcome.
    Yeah, Yahoo always rates the restaurants in New York and ignores New Jersey!

Good for you!

For many years, I was a member of a food discussion board that was a spin-off of the Dead Food Board at Top Secret Recipes. I'll have to see what your board is all about!