Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite New Jersey beach - Page 2

View Poll Results: What is your favorite beach...

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sandy Hook

0 0%
  • Asbury Park

0 0%
  • Pt Pleasant Beach

0 0%
  • Seaside Heights

2 22.22%
  • Island Beach State Park

3 33.33%
  • Long Beach Island

2 22.22%
  • Atlantic City

0 0%
  • Wildwood

0 0%
  • Cape May

1 11.11%
  • Other

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite New Jersey beach

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Dave, I will have to check out that Island state park when I am over there. The days of paying $12.00 for beer and seafood are long gone. lol. I want to go to as many places as I can and soak up the memories. Time is passing and I need to purchase a plane ticket. Marianita
    Marianita - I hope you'll post about your vacation once you come back, of if you have a chance to get online, keep us up to date with things you are doing.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default vacation

Hi Jersey Devil, I will keep you posted on events as they occur while I an New Jersey. I will also let you know when I am leaving. Now I have a cool idea. Maybe you can meet me and my son and daughter-in-law at the Jersey Store one day. That way I can meet you and Dave too. I am getting anxious and have some major shopping to do. My plane ticket I will purchase on my next day off. I will also let you know when I set foot on Jersey land. lol. Take care. Marianita

Well it's almost summer again and so I have revived this thread and added a poll. Sorry for the beaches I couldn't include, but there is a limit of 10. I realize that this doesn't even touch the surface of the number of beaches New Jersey has.

The beaches I usually go to are Seaside Heights, Island Beach State Park, Long Beach Island, Atlantic City and Cape May. That doesn't mean I don't love the other beaches, just don't get to them as often. Now that I live at the shore again - I will explore the shore a bit more.

Here are some pics from Island Beach State Park I took last weekend.

New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

Recent Resident

I'd have to vote for Belmar... even sans Playland, the boardwalk and beach looks very much the same as it did 35 years ago. It's where we went most often growing up, probably because my Mom grew up there. I have many fond memories not just of the beach itself, but of the drive down there and back, with 77 WABC always playing in the background.

I also remember going to Island Beach State Park with my family... IB reminded me a lot of Cape Cod, Mass., where we also vacationed. We used to visit Asbury Park Boardwalk on the way back from Belmar... but it was the rides and attractions I liked there, I didn't care for the beach itself much. Likewise with Wildwood, where I went on my 8th Grade class trip.
    Last edited by Roadbldr '59; 03-10-2007 at 01:12 AM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default favorite New Jersey beaches

Hi roadbldr, That is a beautiful beach indeed. I am voting for Wildwood as it makes me feel like like I am a kid again. lol. marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default NJ has so many great beaches!

Although I voted for Island Beach State Park, which is probably the greatest expanse of unspoiled beach in New Jersey, I like many others. During the summer of 1999, Martha and I spent almost a week with my Mom in Toms River and I took her to several of my favorite NJ beaches several days in a row. We went to Cape May one day, the beach at Barnegat Lighthouse on Long Beach Island the next, and Island Beach State Park the next. Then we combined a day at Seaside Heights to enjoy both the beach and the boardwalk pizza on the same day.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 03-11-2007 at 01:40 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile favorite New Jersey beaches

Hi Jersey Warren, You sure covered alot of territory with your week in Toms River and all those beaches. It must have been great fun too. Have you been to Toms River lately? It has to be wonderful having all these beautiful beaches. It makes me long for New Jersey again. Marianita

Hi Jersey Warren, You sure covered alot of territory with your week in Toms River and all those beaches. It must have been great fun too. Have you been to Toms River lately? It has to be wonderful having all these beautiful beaches. It makes me long for New Jersey again. Marianita
    Hi Marianita,

We were back there last October, but not for long. We spent two nights with my youngest brother, who lives in Forked River. My Mom is in an assisted living facility in Toms River and we visited with her both days. We went from New Jersey to Maine and back over a two-week period, staying with many different relatives and friends of both Martha's and mine. It was enjoyable, but hectic, and ended with my 40th high school reunion in Ramsey, in northern Bergen County.

It seems every trip we take involves lots of traveling. Someday I'd like to just spend a week at the beach and stay put and relax!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile favorite New Jersey beaches

Hi Jersey Warren, It does sound like a hectic trip but fun. I can understand your wanting to relax on the beach for a week. It is the same way for me when I go to New Jersey. Every day my son and daughter-in-law take me someplace. We cover alot of territory in a few short weeks.lol. I get tired but have a blast anyway. I need to talk to my son about my next trip to New Jersey. We had talked about May but the pool where they live opens in June. There has been so much relaxation and great times around that pool with neighbors and friends. At any rate we will decide together.
    You will never guess where I want to go first besides Cape May that is. It is really close to Marlton. It is Medford. They had a street fair there last year and it was so really pleasant. There is a deli in Lumberton which boasts of ''the best potato salad in America.'' And it sure is good. My daughter-in-law and I go to Cherry Hill Mall where we spend a whole day. lol. And for great food, The Cracker Barrel in Mount Laural. Now that the baby is older we can cover more territory. I am getting so anxious to go.
    Is your mom happy in the assisted living facility? I work in a long term care facility. Marianita

There is a deli in Lumberton which boasts of ''the best potato salad in America.'' And it sure is good. My daughter-in-law and I go to Cherry Hill Mall where we spend a whole day. lol. And for great food, The Cracker Barrel in Mount Laural. Now that the baby is older we can cover more territory. I am getting so anxious to go.
    Is your mom happy in the assisted living facility? I work in a long term care facility. Marianita
    Hi Marianita,

My Mom has resigned herself to the fact that she can't take care of her own place anymore. She recently fractured a vertabra just reaching and stretching to get something. That's how fragile her bones are. She had to go to a rehab place for a couple of weeks then back to her own place. It's a very nice facility, but she can't take part in most of the activities because she is not mobile enough.

Regarding the potatato salad: When I was growing up we never made potato salad at home because the potato salad from the delis was so good. We had a general store called Elmer's in Upper Saddle River and the owners made their own in their house next store and carried it over to their store.

When I moved to Massachusetts, people brought in their own homemade potato salad to company lunches and parties and everyone raved about it. (But, though I didn't want to hurt anyone's feelings by saying so, their homemade potato salad was never as good as most NJ deli potato salads!)

As you probably found out, most NJ delis slice the potatoes for salad very thin, like scalloped potatoes, so that way they soak up lots of dressing and you don't bite into the inside of a thick potato chunk that has no dressing on it. And the mayonaisse dressing is fairly tart, not bland like I've tasted in other areas. I found a supermarket in Massachusetts that had potato salad made from thinly sliced potatos, like in New Jersey, but it was too bland. I experimented and found that if I added a tablespoon or two of vinegar to each pound container, voila, it tasted almost like that sold in New Jersey. (A tablespoon or two of pickle juice works well, too.)

Anothe favorite of mine when visiting a New Jersey deli is to get a roast beef sandwich on a hard (aka Kaiser) roll, with butter on it. (I've found that's something you see only in New Jersey, butter on a roast beef sandwich.) And I always order a big kosher dill pickle to eat with it. Of course, New Jersey people are known to make a quick breakfast out of buttered hard rolls and coffee, which is a very European thing to do.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

Hi Jersey Warren, It is really best for your mother that there are people to look out for her. My mother is 80 and so far she is fine but who knows for how long? She is a bit more frail then she was. It will be hard if she has to go into assisted living for me to look out for her as she lives in Washington State. My brother lives in Northern Calif and he is retired and he looks out for her now.
    As for the deli potato salad in New Jersey it is the best. I have tasted the potato salad here and eeeeeewwww gross. Plus the fact that I am a full a time cook on my job and I do the specialties and a little vinegar is always needed in potato salad. I did notice the potatoes were sliced very thin in that potato salad at the Lumberton deli. The Kaiser rolls are very good too. We did have the roast beef too and my granddaughter tasted it and wanted it all the time.Ofcourse coffee is a necessity of life as far as I am concerned.lol. And places like Dunkin Donuts. Marianita

My mother is 80 and so far she is fine but who knows for how long? ...
    Of course coffee is a necessity of life as far as I am concerned.lol. And places like Dunkin Donuts. Marianita
    Hi Marianita,

Coincidentally, my mother is also 80, as of January 23rd.

I haven't lived near a Dunkin Donuts since leaving Massachusetts in 1989 and once in awhile we come across one. On a trip from Wisconsin to Ohio, we'd stop at one on the Indiana toll road. The most extreme case was when we were in Rome in 2001 and there was a Dunkin Donuts in Rome's Termini station. I took a couple of the apple-filled cinnamon donuts back to our hotel room. When we got back to Wisconsin I told people I had to go all the way to Rome for donuts!

When I was growing up there was an apple farm in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey (Tice's Farm) that had a donut machine and you could get them while they were still hot. (And for 55 cents a dozen!) Nothing like a hot donut and some cold apple cider right from the farm.

However, I'm also a coffee lover, and fortunately, that's something available everywhere.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 03-14-2007 at 02:13 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile favorite New Jersey beach

Hi Jersey Warren, Well since our mothers are both 80 I will tell you my age if you tell me yours. That is a co-incidence.
    Now as for a Dunkin Donuts in Rome, that is really something. It is surprising what you can find in these foreign countries to remind you of home. In Matzatlan ,Mexico there is a McDonalds.
    I sure wish we had a Dunkin Donuts here but we have nary a one. I had my son bring me some Dunkin Donut coffee when we had a family reunion over the Christmas holiday. I cannot imagine donuts for .55 a dozen but it must have been a while ago. lol.
    I drink coffee all the time. I cannot live without it. The apple cider sounds good. Marianita

Hi Jersey Warren, Well since our mothers are both 80 I will tell you my age if you tell me yours. That is a co-incidence.
    Hi Marianita,

Well, I will turn 59 on April 30th. Just to make this relevant to the favorite NJ beach thread, my earliest recollections of going "down the Shore" are when I was about three years old, which would have been 1951. We went to Asbury Park back in those days. I used to call the shore "the big water."

I wonder if Asbury Park still has the piers. They used to have various exhibits on the insides of the piers, which were glassed in, and you could walk all around the piers on the outside walkways and watch the surf below you.

I always wanted to get salt water taffy when I was a kid, and ride on the train at the little kiddie ride place.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Warren, What nice memories you have.You have a good memory because I do not remember much anout being 3 yrs old. I do remember the beaches and the picnics, the long car rides and the kiddie rides.
    I talked to my son this morning and he said that May is a perfect time for me to visit so he is buying my plane ticket. The first thing I did when I got to work was to submit a vacation request. So that is done. We have to give a months notice. I am already getting anxious to see my grandchildren. The ''New Jersey baby'' is already 5 and 1/2 months old. I saw him at Christmas.
    By the way I am 62 yrs old. lol. My little brother is 59 but he is not little. lol.
    What are you going to do for your birthday? Maybe you can go down the shore to Cape May or Wildwood. Imagine a nice dinner at The Lobster House?
    I am homesick for New Jersey. lol. Marianita

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    Hi Marianita,

Well, I will turn 59 on April 30th. Just to make this relevant to the favorite NJ beach thread, my earliest recollections of going "down the Shore" are when I was about three years old, which would have been 1951. We went to Asbury Park back in those days. I used to call the shore "the big water."

I wonder if Asbury Park still has the piers. They used to have various exhibits on the insides of the piers, which were glassed in, and you could walk all around the piers on the outside walkways and watch the surf below you.

I always wanted to get salt water taffy when I was a kid, and ride on the train at the little kiddie ride place.
    Don't know... but if the piers still exist, they are likely condemned or nearly so, just like the rest of Asbury.

Sometime between 1977 and 1984, the Asbury Park boardwalk degenerated from lively and thriving to boarded-up ghost town. What was the name of the off-the-walk arcade, that featured an indoor rollercoaster called (I believe) the Comet? The building still there... vacant for over 20 years.

Scary.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadbldr '59
    Don't know... but if the piers still exist, they are likely condemned or nearly so, just like the rest of Asbury.

Sometime between 1977 and 1984, the Asbury Park boardwalk degenerated from lively and thriving to boarded-up ghost town. What was the name of the off-the-walk arcade, that featured an indoor rollercoaster called (I believe) the Comet? The building still there... vacant for over 20 years.

Scary.
    Actually Asbury Park over the last couple of years has been coming back. It's a lot different than it was just a couple of years ago. They're working to make it into a Music Town because so many musicians got their start in Asbury Park. Granted it's not like it's "Glory Days" - but in a few years you won't recognize it anymore from it's old dilapidated state.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Roadbldr, I have heard of Asburybury Park boardwalk but did not know anything about it being condemned. I am glad it is being restored. I think it is fine to make it into a music town. That is better then having it sitting vacant. marianita

Hi Roadbldr, I have heard of Asburybury Park boardwalk but did not know anything about it being condemned. I am glad it is being restored. I think it is fine to make it into a music town. That is better then having it sitting vacant. marianita
    It was never condemned, it was just in disrepair. The town went through hard times, mostly caused by the usual political corruption that runs rampant in New Jersey. Asbury Park used to be a tourist mecca in the early 1900's.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default favorite New Jersey beach

Hi Jersey Devil, It is nice to know that someone is working to change the place for the better.Twenty years is a long for something to just there dormant. Marianita