Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Favorite New Jersey beach

View Poll Results: What is your favorite beach...

Voters
9. You may not vote on this poll
  • Sandy Hook

0 0%
  • Asbury Park

0 0%
  • Pt Pleasant Beach

0 0%
  • Seaside Heights

2 22.22%
  • Island Beach State Park

3 33.33%
  • Long Beach Island

2 22.22%
  • Atlantic City

0 0%
  • Wildwood

0 0%
  • Cape May

1 11.11%
  • Other

1 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite New Jersey beach

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Favorite New Jersey beach

Well - it's gearing up to another tourist season at the Jersey Shore. Which one is your favorite beach? Personally I like Seaside Heights for the excitement and I love Cape May for it's Victorian relaxation.

I grew up in Bricktown and went to school in Pt Pleasant only a couple of blocks from the ocean. The Jersey Shore is defintely in my blood.

I don't think there is a "best" beach in New Jersey - it just depends on what you are looking. Sp what is your favorite beach and why?

Default Seaside Park, South Seaside Park or Island Beach State Park

I prefer Seaside Park, South Seaside Park or Island Beach State Park.

They are close to home. (used to be within walking distance)
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Default Re: Seaside Park, South Seaside Park or Island Beach State P

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    I prefer Seaside Park, South Seaside Park or Island Beach State Park.

They are close to home. (used to be within walking distance)
    I also think that Seaside Park is good for inline-skating. The town is relativley flat and there is not much in the way of road traffic.

This may be true in other shore towns and I would be intersted to hear other people's experience with this.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    I also think that Seaside Park is good for inline-skating. The town is relativley flat and there is not much in the way of road traffic.

This may be true in other shore towns and I would be intersted to hear other people's experience with this.
    Cape May would be cool to roller blade through. I love Cape May. I wonder how Long Beach Island would be to roller blade - probably quite a bit of traffic though since it only has the one road really.

LBI is my favorite (the ocean side). There's a whole variety of things to do, as opposed to beaches whose only attraction is the boardwalk. My family rents a huge house there every year on the southern tip.

Last year I did rollerblade there too. The southern point isn't so fun because of all the pebbles and sand spilt over onto the side of the road. But up north you can use the sidestreets.
    There are bike rentals all over the island; I think that's better.

Tourist

Default Surfing

So what is some good surf beaches in Jersey, and what season is the surf up. I'm sure it's not like the 30+ that we get in Hawaii during the winter swell.

Quote Originally Posted by hawaiitron
    So what is some good surf beaches in Jersey, and what season is the surf up. I'm sure it's not like the 30+ that we get in Hawaii during the winter swell.
    I am not sure that there is a surf season, but you can generally expect larger waves in the winter than the summer. Tropical storms and Hurricanes can also give you some good waves, but you need to be carful about any riptides. (actually you should be careful about riptides all the time.)

In general, I think most waves in NJ are 10 ft (3m) and under. (If anyone has better surf knowledge please post below.)

NJ Surf sites
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

I would have to say Cape May is my favorite. There is something so unforgettable about Cape May. The victorian houses and stores are like a trip back in time. I loved it. The boardwalk in Wildwood was great fun, sort of like the 50's. I am ready to put in for my vacation at work for May. Everyone teases me at work about my vacations to NJ. They say when I leave, I go far. lol. Take care. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    I would have to say Cape May is my favorite. There is something so unforgettable about Cape May. The victorian houses and stores are like a trip back in time. I loved it. The boardwalk in Wildwood was great fun, sort of like the 50's. I am ready to put in for my vacation at work for May. Everyone teases me at work about my vacations to NJ. They say when I leave, I go far. lol. Take care. Marianita
    The combo Wildwood/Cape May vacation is great. I "advertise" it as a relaxing day at Historic Victorian Cape May and the excitement of the boardwalk and the 50's of Wildwood. Together they're really great for families - because Cape May has the relaxation that parents often want, but Wildwood have the games and amusements that teenagers and kids want.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

I totally agree Jersey Devil. I loved both places. By the way, have you gone to that seafood place in Wildwood called,''2 Mile Landing.'' They have some good seafood there too. I ate a great big swordfish there. There is no doubt about it, Cape May is a must to visit. Take care. Marianita

By the way, have you gone to that seafood place in Wildwood called,''2 Mile Landing.'' They have some good seafood there too. I ate a great big swordfish there. There is no doubt about it, Cape May is a must to visit. Take care. Marianita
    I haven't spent much time in Wildwood, so I haven't gotten a chance to try that seafood place out. I've mostly just spent time on the boardwalk and the beach.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile 2 Mile Landing

Hi Jersey Devil, Hopefully you will make it to ''2 Mile Landing.'' There is another seafood place called,'' The Lobster House'' in Cape May. Both places are unique and have alot to offer. There's no doubt about it. New Jersey sure has the best seafood. I can hardly wait to walk the boardwalk again. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile How About "All of Them" ? Ok, here's a few ...

Gosh, I've gone to so many Jersey Shore beaches since I was a little tyke who went to Asbury Park in the early 1950s.

In the summer of 1999, my wife Martha and I spent a few days with my mother in Toms River during the middle of a really bad heat wave. I wanted to show Martha some of my favorite beaches so I took her to four different beaches four days in a row.

We started "down south" and went to Cape May the first day. The next day we went to Long Beach Island, near Barnegat Lighthouse. When I was a kid, the lighthouse was practically right on the ocean, but since then, dredging and jetty building has created a sand bar that extends at least half a mile from the lighthouse out to sea. Between some of the sand bars and the beach there are shallow pools of water and some of them must have been in the 80s, just like down here in Florida.

The next day we went to another favorite of mine: Island Beach State Park.

And, finally, we went to Seaside Heights to be able to sample the boardwalk pizza at Three Brothers in addition to our beachgoing.

What a great trip and a great time!

Will Rogers said he never met a man he didn't like. Well, I never met a Jersey Shore beach I didn't like.

On another trip in 2003 we had almost a week of rain, so we just did a little beachcombing until the very last day. That day was sunny, so my brother Greg took us to the national park beach at Sandy Hook. Again, great beach.

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    The next day we went to Long Beach Island, near Barnegat Lighthouse. When I was a kid, the lighthouse was practically right on the ocean, but since then, dredging and jetty building has created a sand bar that extends at least half a mile from the lighthouse out to sea. Between some of the sand bars and the beach there are shallow pools of water and some of them must have been in the 80s, just like down here in Florida.
    Jersey Warren - Forget what I say here - I think here you may be thinking of Sandy Hook, which is now about a half mile from the water. Barnegat is still right on the water and actually was threatened because the water had been eating away at the area under it's base. I also don't recall any sand bars in the area out at sea. I'm going to have to check on this the next time I'm out there though.

I checked on Google maps and I guess it's the bay side that was threatened, because as you state, sand is building up on the ocean side. I guess because I haven't explored the area as much, I never noticed how big that sandy area is now.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Warren, It sounds like a happy childhood In New Jersey. I think it is wonderful that you went to all those places. I am working on going to all those places, a little each year. I put in for my vacation today at work, one month, the month of June. My son wants me to stay longer this time. As the day draws nearer I get more excited. Take care. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Yes, it was nice!

Hi Jersey Warren, It sounds like a happy childhood In New Jersey. I think it is wonderful that you went to all those places. I am working on going to all those places, a little each year. I put in for my vacation today at work, one month, the month of June. My son wants me to stay longer this time. As the day draws nearer I get more excited. Take care. Marianita
    When I was in first grade in Saddle Brook in 1954, they were building an overpass across the street about a quarter mile from the school. My mother said they were building a parkway "all the way to Cape May."

By 1956, the Garden State Parkway was finished. For the first time, we went beyond Asbury Park, all the way to Long Beach Island. In those days, before most of the island was developed, practically the entire island's beaches were accessable to the public. Even on a Saturday in July, the beaches were almost deserted.

I still get back every few years to visit family, and to take advantage of all the nice things that still remain. Some things have improved. Island Beach State Park was the summer home of New Jersey's governor years ago. Now anyone who wants to can take advantage of it.

It was nice to hear from you!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default memories

Hi Jersey Warren, It is nice to hear from you too. It is amazing that the parkway has been used by millions to get to Cape May since your mom remembered hearing that it was to be built. It would sure take a long time to get to Cape May without the Parkway. lol. Ofcourse that depends on where you start I guess. I am thinking of where my son lives. It is a really nice drive to Cape May. The parkway was a great idea on someones part. What is Island beach state park close to? Take care Marianita

Island Beach State Park is Just North of Seaside Park. There use to be a Restaraunt at the entrance called Bumm Rodgers. It had all you can eat Crabs and all you can drinnk Moosehead Beer for 12 bucks. That was in the 80s
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Island Beach State Park is Just North of Seaside Park.
    You have your directional compass messed up here Dave. Island Beach State Park is SOUTH of Seaside Park.
    There use to be a Restaraunt at the entrance called Bumm Rodgers. It had all you can eat Crabs and all you can drinnk Moosehead Beer for 12 bucks. That was in the 80s
    I don't know if it's still there or not. I've only gone to Island Beach State Park on th off season.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Island state park.

Hi Dave, I will have to check out that Island state park when I am over there. The days of paying $12.00 for beer and seafood are long gone. lol. I want to go to as many places as I can and soak up the memories. Time is passing and I need to purchase a plane ticket. Marianita