Thread: Help! Hillsdale anyone?

Tourist

Default Help! Hillsdale anyone?

Hello!
    My fam and I currently live in Brooklyn, but are planning on buying a home in NJ...originally from the west coast...we have NO IDEA of how the areas are in NJ, but our real estate agent showed us Hillsdale? Is this a good place to raise a family? It's very difficult for us to know. We have asked people, and most have no idea, and many talk about "Ridgewood," but I know we are out priced and have no chance of getting a new home there. Any other areas nearby that we should consider? Husband does have to commute to NYC, and the area needs to be super safe. After living in Brooklyn, and always having to watch our backs...we are excited, oh so excited to move to the suburbs.

Edit: to change Hillsboro to Hillsdale...wow, I feel like an idiot.
    Last edited by brklynkgurl; 02-17-2006 at 10:34 PM.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Welcome BrklynGurl and welcome to NJ

I'm sorry I don't know much about Hillsdale, except it's way up at Bergen county. I haven't lived there or been there so I can't make any personal comments about it. I'm sure you already know this - but I'll post the website for Hillsdale anyway just in case (also for other people's reference).

BTW - just remember you are in a new state. Not a "surburb of NY" You don't want one of the admins to get the NJ bat out. Let me warn you - it's not pretty.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Smile Hillsdale

Brklyngurl , First let me say welcome to our great state ( soon anyway} . Second you will have to change your name to Jerseygurl , after all they are the most famous gurls out there . I live with my wife in Flanders in Western Morris county its a nice quiet place alot of farms,farm stands and horses . Route 80 is right here so is route 206 ,46 and route 78 is close by also . 80, 46 and 78 run east - west and make the ride to NYC more direct ,although they can become a pain with traffic . NYC is about an hour from here . You may be able to find something in this county . Also Morristown is a very historic place including the site called Jockey Hollow where George Washingtons army spent the worst winter in the Revolutionary War 1779/1780 . This site became the nations first national historical park . Anyway I hope you find something you and you family can be happy with and also if you like history it is here in N.J. There is ALOT to see and do in N.J.!. N.J. HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Tourist

Default thanks!

Thanks guys so much! For the welcome, and advice. I will have to check out that town. And jerseydevil, yes, i def don't consider it ny burbs...i'm tired of ny! It's amazing reading about people being MUGGED for their IPODS and cell phones here!! Right on the streets that I walk on everyday...I'm tempted to save the newspapers crime clippings, so I can show my kid one day, when I tell him how dangerous it is here, and he looks at me in disbelief! And yes...ah..I will have to change my login name too. lol.

Tourist

Default Moving To New Jersey

Brklynkgurl-

Hillsdale is a one of NJ's more wealthier enclaves, and is located in the Northern part of the state in Bergen County. There are other areas, many further south, with accessibility to the city via mass transit, which in my opinion are equally attractive, and which offer lower housing costs and property taxes.

One town you should consider is Cranford, located in Union County (central NJ) and ranked 12th in New Jersey Monthly Magazine's recently compiled "Best Places To Live."

I am not only a lifelong resident of Union County -- but also a realtor -- and can provide you with all the information you need to help you -- based on your specific needs -- make an intelligent decision as to where to live.

[deleted because of advertising]

Peter Jordan
    Prudential NJ Properties

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default About moving to NJ

During my 17 years in Massachusetts, I wanted to move back to NJ many times, but never found a satisfactory job in the area.

Those commuting into New York face the same dilemma I had back in Massachusetts: The cost of housing in the nearby suburbs was prohibitive. I solved that problem by going to the end of the railroad line that went through the Boston suburb where I worked (Belmont) then going another 13 miles past the "end of the line" to where we could afford a house. It was a half-hour drive to the station and then an hour and 15-minute train ride, but it was worth it. Commuting by train is cheaper than driving, and you can catch a morning nap on the train.

During one trip back to New Jersey, I attempted to duplicate that strategy. And except for not being able to find a job, it would have worked. I picked one of the commuter lines, in this case the one that goes out to the Netcong/Dover area. I then drove within a half hour of there and found houses that we could have afforded in very nice towns.

I just checked the New Jersey Transit map and found that the line I checked out in the 1980s (the Montclair-Boonton Line) now goes way beyond Dover and Netcong to Hackettstown in Warren County. While this is a long commute, the advantages of train commuting I mentioned above make it practical. And Warren County is one of New Jersey's most bucolic and unspoiled places. You might also try taking the Raritan Valley Line to its end in High Bridge in Hunterdon County, and checking out houses there.

Northwest Bergen County is very nice and the people there are highly educated and cultured, but real estate prices are out of sight. Houses in Upper Saddle River, where I grew up, start around $650,000. (My parents had a house built there in 1958 for around $35,000.)

Good luck in your search, Brklynkgurl!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 05-11-2006 at 09:55 AM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

Hi brllygurl, I am not familiar with Hillsdale but understand it is nice. My son lives in Marlton NJ and the population is about 10,000 persons. He and his wife have been very happy there. However since you want to be close to a train station to commute, perhaps you need to check out Trenton. I have been there and taken a train to New York in one hours time. I know Trenton is the capitol of New Jersey and it looks like a nice place to me.I do not know what the cost of livng is there but Jersey Devil would know. I do not live in New Jersey but I visit every year. I am getting ready to go again. My son purchased my eticket already. I consider myself a Jersey girl as I simply love the place. I am leaving on June 2nt and will go to Philly which is less then 1/2 hours drive from Marlton. I am sure you will be happy in NJ. I consider it home myself. Take care. Marianita

Tourist

Default I live in Hillsdale

My husband and I just moved to Hillsdale last July and our son was born in the local hospital, Pascack Valley, last August. Hillsdale is beautiful, family oriented and safe. We love it and now is the time to buy in Bergen County. Hillsdale has a sweet downtown area and the school system is top notch. Ridgewood is great, but it is big and crowded. Hillsdale is within 5 to ten minutes away from top of the line shopping and dining. Listen to your realtor! We grew up in Cranford, NJ and that is another family oriented town, however Hillsdale has many more "buffer" towns surrounding it than Cranford. Both Hillsdale and Cranford taxes are high, but for good reasons!
    Quote Originally Posted by brklynkgurl
    Hello!
    My fam and I currently live in Brooklyn, but are planning on buying a home in NJ...originally from the west coast...we have NO IDEA of how the areas are in NJ, but our real estate agent showed us Hillsdale? Is this a good place to raise a family? It's very difficult for us to know. We have asked people, and most have no idea, and many talk about "Ridgewood," but I know we are out priced and have no chance of getting a new home there. Any other areas nearby that we should consider? Husband does have to commute to NYC, and the area needs to be super safe. After living in Brooklyn, and always having to watch our backs...we are excited, oh so excited to move to the suburbs.

Edit: to change Hillsboro to Hillsdale...wow, I feel like an idiot.
    Last edited by jen1975; 07-26-2006 at 10:14 PM.