Thread: New Jersey gets dissed by Live Earth Promoters

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default New Jersey gets dissed by Live Earth Promoters

Did you hear New Jersey is home to a huge concert this week called Live Earth? If you go to their website - LiveEarth.org you wouldn't know it!!! They of course list it as New York. Not only do they list it as New York, they also say in their press kit that it is being held at Giants Stadium IN New YORK!.

LIVE EARTH NEW YORK PRESS KIT

Live Earth is a 24-hour, 7-continent series of concert events on 7.7.07 that will bring together more than 100 music artists and 2 billion people to inspire a global movement to “Answer the Call” and help solve the climate crisis.

Live Earth was founded by Kevin Wall, CEO of Control Room, the company producing the events globally.

Live Earth will stage official concerts at Giants Stadium in New York; Wembley Stadium in London; Aussie Stadium in Sydney; Copacabana Beach in Rio de Janeiro; the Coca-Cola Dome in Johannesburg; Makuhari Messe in Tokyo; the Oriental Pearl Tower in Shanghai; and HSH Nordbank Arena in Hamburg.

Live Earth marks the beginning of a multi-year campaign led by the Alliance for Climate Protection in the US, The Climate Group and Stop Climate Chaos in the UK, and other international organizations, to drive individuals, corporations and governments to take immediate and lasting action to solve the climate crisis. Former U.S. Vice President Al Gore is the Chair of the Alliance for Climate Protection and a Partner of Live Earth.

Live Earth will reach a worldwide audience through an unprecedented global media architecture covering all media platforms - TV, radio, Internet and wireless channels.

>> DOWNLOAD FACT SHEET - LIVE EARTH NEW YORK (pdf)
    *Venue, Start Time, Artists, Producers, Official Partners, Broadcast Partners, Green Production Notes, NGO Partners, Broacast Partners
    I urge people to e-mail them at press@liveearth.org

This is the following e-mail sent them....

Error on your listing of cities

I know this will come as a surprise, but your website is incorrect. It states that New York is one of the venues, when it is East Rutherford New JERSEY. I can send you a map if have trouble recognizing state borders and are unsure of where you are. I wouldn't want you to get lost and head east and try finding the location in the traffic clogged streets of Manhattan. It's a common mistake for people to make - thinking New Jersey and in particular East Rutherford, is just too lowly to be acknowledged as an actual MAJOR concert venue.

Here is a map from Google so you don't get lost on where the concert is... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...wloc=addr&om=1

I hope this will help you and others in not getting lost in New York trying to find the event.

- Robert

So again, New Jersey hosts a world publicized event and New Jersey gets replaced by New York on the marquee. Funny too - our governor was just at the Meadowlands today with the promoters of the event (and Al Gore), you would have thought he would have mentioned it and demanded that it get corrected!!

First with the Jersey City Fireworkls, now with the Live Earth. My blood will be boiling tomorrow if on the broadcast they're reporting it as if they're in New YORK!!!
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I received the following from their press@LiveEarth.org e-mail address...

Thank you for your note, we have been overwhelmed with the massive response to our campaign and we appreciate your interest. We will review all emails and get back to you soon.

Thank you for supporting Save Our Selves and Live Earth, your attention is greatly appreciated.
    So I forwarded my e-mail to all their other listed e-mails and hopefully SOMEONE will read it. I also added the following....

Since I received an e-mail stating that press@LiveEarth.org was overwhelmed and someone would read it at a later time, I am now forwarding this to ALL your e-mail addresses. I am not at all happy that you have no respect for New Jersey and act as if we do not even exist! You even have the nerve to say that Giants Stadium is in New YORK! So tell me, what state police are patrolling and having security for this event????

- Robert
    \

Here are all their e-mail addresses, just forward a letter onto all of them...

Press Inquiries:
    Are you a member of the media looking for more information? Email us at: press@liveearth.org

Sponsorship Inquiries:
    Interested in sponsoring Live Earth? Contact our sponsorship team at: sponsors@liveearth.org

Broadcast Inquiries:
    Interested in broadcasting the Live Earth event? Contact us at: broadcast@liveearth.org

Green Services/ Help:
    Have a green recourses or an idea that could help the Live Earth event or Save Our Selves campaign? Contact us at: green@liveearth.org

General Inquiries:
    Have a general question? Email us at info@liveearth.org

For questions related to our privacy policy and the use of your information, please email us at privacy@liveearth.org
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I saw the highlites of the press conference today with Gov. Corzine at the Meadowlands and he did infact point out to the media that the concert was in N.J.! Also A N.J. Representative whos district includes the Meadowlands is looking into sponsoring a bill that would make it a law that Jersey would get credit for all events here instead of n.y. I saw this reported on News12 and also read about it in todays Daily Record. The reps. name is Paul Sarlo. I will be e-mailing him to let him know i support his efforts!
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 07-06-2007 at 09:52 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    I saw the highlites of the press conference today with Gov. Corzine at the Meadowlands and he did infact point out to the media that the concert was in N.J.!
    That's good, I didn't see the whole thing. I just called up News 12 New Jersey about this and they just did a story on "does New York get all the credit". It will be rebroadcast tonight on their 11:00 news hour.

What let me to this was reading BBC.com and they stated how "New Jersey-ites" (I hate that word) are upset that the concert is taking place in new Jersey but it's being promoted as New York. I initially wrote to them complaining that New Jersey was not a city and it should be correctly stated that it is taking place in East Rutherford New Jersey.

LIVE EARTH CONCERT TIMES

Sydney - 0110 BST (1110 local)
    Tokyo - 0400 BST (1200 local)
    Johannesburg - 1100 BST (1200 local)
    Shanghai - 1130 BST (1830 local)
    Hamburg - 1300 BST (1400 local)
    London - 1330 BST
    Washington - 1530 BST (1030 local)
    New Jersey - 1930 BST (1430 local)
    Rio de Janeiro - 2000 BST (1600 local)
    Cities get ready for Live Earth

Saturday's global Live Earth event will see major concerts take place at nine locations around the world.

The concert at London's Wembley Stadium is expected to be one of the focal points, attracting some of the world's musical superstars including Madonna.

BBC correspondents from other cities putting on shows report on what is expected from the gigs, giving a taste of how each event aims to raise environmental awareness.

NEW JERSEY - JAMES COOMARASAMY

It's only a couple of days before the event, but I don't have a sense that there's much of a buzz about it here in the States.

Not yet, at least. If there's been an advertising blitz, I haven't noticed one - tickets are still available and most people you ask don't seem aware of the concert.

That will probably change now that Al Gore - the man who inspired it all - is doing the interview circuit.

He has undoubtedly done much to raise the profile of climate change issues in the US, but you do have to wonder how the crowds will compare with 2005's free Live 8 concert, given ticket prices of $55.

Still - the New Jersey (not New York - the Jersey-ites aren't too happy that the distinction isn't being made) line-up - featuring the reformed Police and Smashing Pumpkins, seems a bit of an improvement on the Philadelphia concert of two years ago.

I was there and I soon lost count of the people who asked me why I wasn't in London, where it was all happening.
    So after seeing the Live Earth website, I should send another letter to BBC and say at least they have part of it right, which is more than can be said about the frigging promoters! What do you want though, they're probably all from New York!

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    Also A N.J. Representative whos district includes the Meadowlands is looking into sponsoring a bill that would make it a law that Jersey would get credit for all events here instead of n.y. I saw this reported on News12 and also read about it in todays Daily Record. The reps. name is Paul Sarlo. I will be e-mailing him to let him know i support his efforts!
    So that's where News 12 New Jersey got their question of the day then. I will be writing to him also. Write to Jeff Van Drew also, he's a democrat in southern New Jersey and promotes a lot of things that deal with New Jersey's image and tourism. It's important to make sure that this is a southern/northern New Jersey supported bill. I called him up with the Red Bulls fiasco, along with many other assemblymen and senators.

BTW - do you know if this bill would apply to the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls names? If it doesn't - it should!

New Jersey Proud!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    BTW - do you know if this bill would apply to the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls names? If it doesn't - it should!
    Well my question got answered. I just saw the piece on News 12 New Jersey, and it only goes as far as "state funded" facilities. Well this does no good once the new Giants Stadium is built, because New Jersey gave complete ownership to the Giants, including naming rights to it. I think anything that occurs in New JERSEY, should be promoted as New Jersey.

I was watching a Discovery channel show about super ships and it basically was about the navigation systems and what has to be done to Port Newark/Elizabeth to fit these new ships. You know what they kept referring to the port as??? Port New York, when they were clearly talking about Port Newark/Elizabeth. New Jersey gets zero respect and I'm tired of it. We just had the big battle over the Jersey City fireworks!

New Jersey Proud!

I sent the following letter to BBC -

I e-mailed you earlier concerning listing New Jersey as a city for the Live Earth concert when it should be East Rutherford, NJ. That still stands, however I do want to thank you for pointing out that it will at least be taking place in New Jersey, unlike the event promoters who have completely ignored New Jersey and obviously have no respect for our great state.

I do want to point out a couple of things though, as previously stated - New Jersey is NOT a city, it is a sovereign state located in the US. We have our own senate, assembly, governor and constitution. In addition, the majority of New Jerseyans resent the term New Jerseyite to describe us. we are New Jerseyans. Jerseyites is usually used as a derogatory term by New Yorkers. As I often tell people, if New Jersey and New York weren't part of the United States, we would be at constant war with each other. As it stands, we are constantly in court against each other and have been since colonial times. Our conflicts go back to 1664 and haven't subsided one bit. At least New York hasn't kidnapped another one of our governors like they did when we were still a colony.

Thank you,

Robert Rosetta, President
    AboutNewJersey.com
    Damn - I forgot to include the Jersey City Fireworks fiasco and how NY prevented us from having the barge in our OWN waters!

BTW - I still wonder if we can sue the Giants, Jets, Red Bulls and now Live Earth for false advertising. We have all these great events and yet no one knows they occur in New Jersey because they're all marketed as being in New York!

New Jersey Proud!

Default Live Earth's media arrogance toward NJ

Jersey Devil and others who wrote on this huge insult to our state
    Thanks for writing about this. I sent this brief note and then included the Jersey Devil's email.
    Sam

Press people,

Do you only want the world to think that NJ has oil tanks and Mafioso.
    Press people, you are so arrogant, lazy, and irresponsible.
    Why did you make this sickening error? NJ is the center of the universe in our beloved USA on Live Earth Day.
    Shame on you.
    Please answer.
    I agree with the email sent to you below.
    Sam

Error on your listing of cities

I know this will come as a surprise, but your website is incorrect. It states that New York is one of the venues, when it is East Rutherford New JERSEY. I can send you a map if have trouble recognizing state borders and are unsure of where you are. I wouldn't want you to get lost and head east and try finding the location in the traffic clogged streets of Manhattan. It's a common mistake for people to make - thinking New Jersey and in particular East Rutherford, is just too lowly to be acknowledged as an actual MAJOR concert venue.

Here is a map from Google so you don't get lost on where the concert is... http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=e...oc=addr&om= 1

I hope this will help you and others in not getting lost in New York trying to find the event.

- Robert

At least the BBC is acknowledging it...

0030 BST - JAMIE COOMARASAMY, NEW JERSEY

There's a lot of anger on stage - about the state of the environment and about the fact that this concert is being referred to as the New York, not the New Jersey one.

Actor Zach Braff - whose first film as director, Garden State, was named after the nickname for New Jersey - got perhaps the loudest response from a largely local crowd when he said he was sick and tired of the mix up.

Lest he be accused of being parochial, he quickly reminded the crowd that this was a global issue, before introducing Madonna's performance in London on a big screen.
    he can call it parochial all he wants, but I think that if an event was taking place in say Germany and it was being billed as French, the Germans would be up in arms over it. To hit something closer to home for the BBC, I know for a FACT that if an event was being held in Scotland and it was being promoted as an English event, there would be riots in the street. Why does New Jersey not deserve the same respect???

New Jersey Proud!

There seems to be a lot of discussion on the web about the major slight to New Jersey by the Live earth promoters. But read the bull at the bottom made by Live Earth spokesman Yusef K. Robb...

Live Earth New York? Well, just across the river in New Jersey, really
    The Associated Press
    Thursday, July 5, 2007

TRENTON, N.J.: When Saturday's Live Earth concerts bring focus to global warming, millions around the world will hear about Live Earth New York.

But try as one might, they will find no such show in New York.

It will be in New Jersey, and many here are tired of seeing New York steal the Garden State's thunder, whether it be with pro football teams, an American Idol episode or Live Earth.

The show will take place in East Rutherford, across the Hudson River at the Meadowlands Sports Complex, which New Jersey built and manages.

State Sen. Paul Sarlo can picture it already — video beamed around the world Saturday of the Live Earth concert at Giants Stadium with the images described as being from New York.

"I'm really getting sick and tired of always having things in our backyard and having them always deem it a New York venue," said Sarlo, a Democrat whose district includes the Meadowlands complex.

This complaint is nothing new for New Jersey, which has lived in the shadows of New York and Philadelphia for so long that even Benjamin Franklin once remarked upon it, describing New Jersey as a "keg tapped at both ends."

New Jersey is home to three professional sports teams — the National Football League's Giants and Jets and Major League Soccer's Red Bulls — who all use the New York moniker. "American Idol" taped an episode at the Meadowlands that was billed as being from New York.

While Saturday's concert is meant to put focus on global warming, it is New Jersey — not New York — that has passed legislation to cut global warming gases and emissions.

"New Jersey never gets any respect," said Beth Mann, a New Jersey resident who pondered the state's plight on Thursday.

A few lawmakers have tried demanding respect.

Assemblyman Richard Merkt introduced legislation to rename Giants Stadium after the Giants placed "NY" on their helmets. He wants a name that better reflects New Jersey, but his bill has never received consideration.

"It's no surprise that the concert at Giants Stadium is being billed as Live Earth New York because most New Jersey politicians have never had the guts to challenge the New York moniker draped all over the Meadowlands," said Merkt, a Republican.

"So long as New Jersey political leaders continue to accept New Jersey as being just a suburb of New York, can we blame the rest of the world for doing the same?" Merkt asked.

From global news accounts to Live Earth's own Web site, Live Earth New Jersey is nowhere to be found. Unlike Live Earth New York.

"The New York metropolitan area spills over into Connecticut, New York and to New Jersey," said Live Earth spokesman Yusef K. Robb. "We want to convey to people that this is a truly global event and New York is the city they recognize."

The Live Earth concerts are backed by former U.S. Vice President Al Gore, with Saturday's shows hoping to reach 2 billion people. Besides Giants Stadium, shows are scheduled for Hamburg, Istanbul, Johannesburg, London, Rio de Janeiro, Shanghai, Sydney and Tokyo.

Gore, who will attend the Live Earth concert at Giants Stadium, is scheduled to join New Jersey Gov. Jon S. Corzine on Friday when Corzine signs New Jersey's global-warming bill. Corzine's office on Thursday declined to comment on New Jersey's lack of billing by Live Earth.

While it will not use the New Jersey name, Robb said Live Earth is grateful to the Garden State for hosting the concert after plans to locate the United States show in Washington, D.C. fizzled.

"New Jersey saved the day for Live Earth," he said.
    So New Jersey saved Live Earth but we aren't good enough to be promoted. What a heavy handed slap in the face to all New Jerseyans that one is! As for his statement that New York is a recognized city worldwide, that's a bull**** excuse too. Imagine if all the things that happened at the Meadowlands were actually promoted as being in New JERSEY - we would be damn well recognized too. It's from these arrogant assholes that that New Jersey isn't recognized.

It pisses me off seeing the New York name being blared all over the place, while New JERSEY is the one hosting it! If they wanted to have a New York location - then they should have found a place IN New York. Oh yeah - New York doesn't have a large enough outside venue to hold a concert like this.

New Jersey Proud!

This article is REALLY fresh...

"Live Earth" concert finds home in New Jersey
    Thu Apr 19, 2007 10:04am ET17
    By Jeremy Pelofsky

WASHINGTON, April 10 (Reuters) - Rebuffed in Washington, former Vice President Al Gore is taking his "Live Earth" rock concert to New Jersey.

The concert to raise awareness about global warming will be held on July 7 at Giants Stadium in New Jersey, just across the Hudson River from Manhattan, organizers said on Tuesday.

Gore had wanted to use the National Mall in Washington but two other groups had already obtained permits for that day. Then, an effort to stage the show on the nearby U.S. Capitol grounds was opposed by some Republicans in Congress.

"We had a number of cities all over the United States saying 'come here, come here,'" said Live Earth founder and executive producer Kevin Wall.

"New York and the state of New Jersey really wanted us to be there and went out of their way to accommodate us."

Artists at the Giants Stadium concert will include the Dave Matthews Band, the Police, Faith Hill and Tim McGraw, Ludacris, and close Gore friend and New Jersey native Jon Bon Jovi, organizers said.

It will be one of several concerts held on July 7 on each of the seven continents. The others are slated for Shanghai, Sydney, Johannesburg, London, Rio de Janeiro, Tokyo and Antarctica.

Organizers predict more than 1 million people will attend the shows, with millions more tuning in via the Internet, television, radio and wireless services.

Gore has embarked on a mission to warn that the world is facing a "planetary emergency" and has called for emissions of carbon dioxide by the United States, the largest source of the greenhouse gas, to be frozen at current levels.

Staging the concert on the Capitol grounds would require congressional approval and Gore ran into opposition from some Republicans, including Oklahoma Sen. James Inhofe, who has referred to global warming as a "hoax."

While one of New Jersey's other famous rock musicians, Bruce Springsteen, was not on the lineup on Tuesday, Wall hinted that he could be added.

"You think we've announced everything?" he said.
    New York has absolutely ZERO to do with the Meadowlands or what happens in New Jersey (well other than telling Jersey City we couldn't have a fireworks barge in our OWN territorial waters)!

So I would really like to know - how the hell did new York really accommodate the Live Earth Concert being held in New Jersey?

New Jersey Proud!

I found this blog where a New yorker says that New York is the media capital of the world and that New Jersey should just stop complaining about things being marketed as a New York venue even when taking place in New Jersey.

Live Earth-New York Is In New Jersey
    Thursday, July 05, 2007

Live Earth is less than two days away and the complaints from New Jersey are already surfacing from the politicians across the Hudson. The concert is being billed as a New York event as it should be, despite the calls to rename it for the exact geographical location. I feel for the Garden State on this one, I really do.

I must say that I am honored to go out to the Meadowlands on Saturday. Somehow I got lucky enough to be a volunteer for the event. I'll have to wake up and get on a 7:14 AM train to Secaucus and then catch a bus to Giants Stadium to work my 9-12 shift. And I will love every minute being out there. Plus I'll blog about it afterwards, so stay tuned on Saturday night or Sunday morning for the details.

Nevertheless New York is the number one media market in the country. When you ask someone that doesn't live in the U.S. if they recognize either New Jersey or New York, they'll go with the latter. That is why it is Live Earth: New York. So please quit complaining.
    I responded with the following...

I'd hate top tell you this, but if New Jersey got the credit for all the things that take place in the Meadowlands and in this state, instead of always being packaged as a New YORK event - New Jersey would be a world wide recognized place too. For instance, we have three professional sports teams - the Giants, Jets and Red Bulls. They have nothing to do with NY other than they have NY on their uniforms. They are ALL NJ teams. The Indianapolis Colts aren't still called Baltimore.

So no - I will not quit complaining!
    Robert Rosetta | Homepage | 07.07.07 - 9:14 pm | #

New Jersey Proud!

This article takes an ignorant slap at New Jersey. They seem to be completely ignorant that just feet from the Meadowlands Sports Complex is the LARGEST protected wildlife area in an urban environment in the world - THE REAL Meadowlands...

The Meadowlands, located in both Bergen and Hudson Counties, encompass 32 square miles or 19,730 acres. As an integral part of the Hudson Raritan Estuary, the significance of the Meadowlands lies in it being one of the largest wetland complexes remaining in the HRE ecosystem, as well as being one of the largest contiguous blocks of open space in the highly developed landscape of the northern New Jersey-metropolitan area. The approximately 8,400 acres of remaining wetlands and waterways are especially significant for concentrations of federal trust wildlife species.
    Of course I'm sure none of these people, including the reporters covering the event, even knows that the Meadowlands exists. They seem to think that all it is is the concrete wasteland where the concert is taking place. I'm sure they have no idea that they can go on pontoon tours of the wetlands and see egrets and over 260 other species of birds which call The Meadowlands home.
    Live Earth: musicians with guilty consciences?
    By DAN DELUCA

It took Live Aid 20 years to spawn Live 8, but pop-culture history repeats at an ever-accelerating pace. So, just two years on, the latest iteration is upon us: Live Earth.

Like any worthy sequel, Live Earth - which takes place Saturday at Giants Stadium in East Rutherford, New Jersey, and eight other locations around the globe - has even grander ambitions.

The previous Lives, which had their U.S. concerts in Philadelphia, aimed only to save Africa. What, just one continent? That's nothing. This time around, with Al Gore's guidance, the rock stars of the world will unite to save all seven.

And not only that: Live Earth will include concerts on every principal land mass on the planet, including Antarctica (the ninth site), where a low-down house band of British scientists called Nunatak will no doubt prove themselves to be a bunch of supremely chill dudes.

Which all sounds pretty cool. But Live Earth - subtitled the Concerts for a Climate in Crisis - exists, of course, to highlight the opposite.

Namely, that it's getting hot in herre - though, for some reason, Nelly is not on the list of performers. And that, as Gore's Oscar-winning documentary, An Inconvenient Truth, argues, global warming - or if you prefer, climate change - is leading the planet to all but certain environmental disaster.

All but certain, that is, unless the Police, Dave Matthews, Kanye West, Bon Jovi, Alicia Keys, Akon, John Mayer, Ludacris, Kelly Clarkson, Keith Urban, and Fall Out Boy stand up and do something about it right now.

Those are among the acts on the lineup of the American show, which the organizers insist on calling Live Earth New York, though we all know it's taking place in the midst of perhaps the most un-green place on God's earth, that being the petrochemical corridor of the New Jersey Turnpike.

The Jersey Live Earth lineup is similar to the Live 8 bill that assembled on the Benjamin Franklin Parkway in 2005. Matthews, West, Keys, Urban and Bon Jovi were all on stage in front of the Art Museum on that July day.

This American Live, though, has more juice, with the marquee stadium act of the summer in the reunited Police, plus classic-rock cred with Roger Waters of Pink Floyd, hip-hop with Ludacris, arena rock with Bon Jovi and Melissa Etheridge, emo representation in Fall Out Boy and Taking Back Sunday, and singer-songwriter sensibility in KT Tunstall and John Mayer.

And there are plenty of other big names scheduled to be performing around the globe, though LE organizer Kevin Wall had not, as of last week, announced anything as headline-grabbing as Live 8's full-blown Pink Floyd reunion.

(Live Aid and 8 helmsman Bob Geldof is not involved, and he has taken pleasure in shooting spitballs at Earth, calling it "just an enormous pop concert." Thus far, the world's leading world-saver, Bono, has apparently been preoccupied editing the Africa issue of Vanity Fair and has not announced any involvement.)

Still, they've got a pretty good bill across the pond at London's Wembley Stadium, with Madonna, the Beastie Boys, Metallica, Corinne Bailey Rae, Bloc Party, Black Eyed Peas, the Pussycat Dolls, and - in what may be the most entertaining interlude of the day - a reunited Spinal Tap.

Pharrell Williams and Gilberto Gil will be in Rio de Janeiro, Snoop Dogg and Shakira in Hamburg, Linkin Park and Rihanna in Tokyo, Wolfmother and Jack Johnson in Sydney, Joss Stone and Angelique Kidjo in Johannesburg, and 12 Girls Band and Sarah Brightman in Shanghai.

Unlike Live 8, which was free, Live Earth is a ticketed event, though Live Earth "is not a fund-raiser," Wall told Paste magazine. "It`s the major launch of a messaging campaign and a behavioral change." The messaging campaign, branded SOS for Save Our Selves, has headquarters at www.liveearth.msn.com, where Web surfers can ask questions of Sonny, the sunglasses-wearing polar bear, or check out a photo gallery of Rihanna that is, er, kinda hot.

It should make for an impressively ginormous global event, one that Mike D of the Beastie Boys - who have music-for-a-cause experience with the Tibetan Freedom Concerts, from 1996 to 2001 - told Rolling Stone has "a real chance to get the collective consciousness of almost the entire world focused on the topic."

But there's dissonance, if not hypocrisy, in using a monstrously oversize concert as a vehicle to combat CO2-emission-fueled global warming. (Particularly one that's being put on at the Meadowlands, which is famously difficult to access by public transportation. I'll be getting there the same way as most everybody else: by car.)

For starters, there's the tough-to-take sanctimony of millionaire rock stars who jet around the globe preaching conservation, then act morally superior because they've learned to turn off the lights when they leave the room. Though some positive developments may arise from artists' taking environmental responsibility: When Matthews was recently asked if he might stop touring altogether to lessen his environmental impact, he said: "It may come to that."

Brit environmental organization CarbonFootprint.com says that Madonna's Confession Tour produced 440 tons of CO2 in 2006 just with flights between countries, not including what it took to power up each show and transport equipment and people from gig to gig.

Sure sounds like a lot. The Live Earth organizers will undoubtedly be pushing recycling, public transportation, and environmental activism on Saturday. Still, you can't help but wonder if holding eight stadium concerts around the globe is really the best way for the entertainment world to exercise - or exorcise? - its guilty conscience on the subject of the fragility of the environment.

The popularity of Live Earth as a cause is not so hard to figure out, however. Even if you dispute the direness of the situation, it's tough to say you're against it.

Clearly, with Live Earth coming so close on the heels of Live 8, the megaconcert as would-be agent of change that was a hallmark of the 80s is back in a big way.

But while the 2000s have been fraught with peril, from Sept. 11 to the Iraq war, this decade's giant pop-music gatherings aren't taking any controversial stands. Instead, Live Earth takes a less-risky route with an idea that pretty much everyone can get behind: Save Our Selves.

- Copyright (C) 2007 MCT Information Services

New Jersey Proud!

Wow- I found this out on About.com, which by the way, promotes Giant Stadium as being a Manhattan venue. Not only did New Jersey get ignored by the promoters of Live Earth - OUR state fair. Yes the New JERSEY State Fair which is for the residents of New JERSEY, and visitors, was only open to those people who had tickets to the Live Earth "New York" concert. . How is that for a frigging slap by our politicians and the promoters???

PLEASE NOTE: A Live Earth admission ticket will also grant FREE entry to the State Fair Meadowlands on the day of the concert. On July 7, the State Fair will be open ONLY to patrons with Live Earth concert tickets. The fair will open at 1PM and feature free shows and over 150 rides and attractions. The fair is located directly next to Giants Stadium in parking lots 15 and 16. Free fair admission does not include ride tickets.
    Only in New Jersey would our state fair be closed off like this.

BTW - no where in the About.com write-up do they mention that it's even located in New Jersey, they even manage to not mention New Jersey when referring to our state fair.

Live Earth New York Concert at Giants Stadium
    From Pamela Skillings,
    Your Guide to Manhattan.

Join 2 billion people on 7 continents for Live Earth
    The Live Earth New York concert will take place at Giants Stadium on July 7, 2007 and feature an incredible line-up of artists including Alicia Keys, Fall Out Boy, Kanye West, Kelly Clarkson, Ludacris, and The Police.

Live Earth New York is part of the monumental Live Earth music event, which will bring together more than 2 billion people on July 7, 2007 to combat the climate crisis. Live Earth will stage concerts in New York, London, Sydney, Tokyo, Shanghai, Rio de Janeiro, Johannesburg and Hamburg, and will feature more than 150 of the world's best music acts.

All proceeds from Live Earth's 24 hours of music across 7 continents will go to The Alliance for Climate Protection and other international NGOs.

Who's Playing at Live Earth New York?
    The full line-up of artists includes AFI, Akon, Alicia Keys, Bon Jovi, Dave Matthews Band, Fall Out Boy, John Mayer, Kanye West, Keith Urban, Kelly Clarkson, KT Tunstall, Ludacris, Melissa Etheridge, Roger Waters, Smashing Pumpkins and The Police.

Tickets for Live Earth New York
    Ticket prices are $350, $175, $85, and $55. Tickets are available at the Continental Airlines Arena Box Office, online at ticketmaster.com, through Ticketmaster charge-by-phone 201-507-8900, 609-520-8383 and 212-307-7171 and Ticketmaster outlets.

Attending Live Earth New York

The parking lots open at 8AM. Parking fees are $20 for cars and buses. Arena doors open at 1PM.

Patrons that purchase tickets on or after June 4th will have to park at a nearby parking lot and take free shuttle buses to the stadium and back. To reduce green house gas emissions caused by people traveling to the Live Earth Concert, a free shuttle bus fueled by bio-diesel will also be provided from the Secaucus Transfer Station (NJ Transit) to the Stadium.

PLEASE NOTE: A Live Earth admission ticket will also grant FREE entry to the State Fair Meadowlands on the day of the concert. On July 7, the State Fair will be open ONLY to patrons with Live Earth concert tickets. The fair will open at 1PM and feature free shows and over 150 rides and attractions. The fair is located directly next to Giants Stadium in parking lots 15 and 16. Free fair admission does not include ride tickets.
    YOu can contact the writer and give her a geography lesson at - manhattan.guide@about.com

When are our politicians going to fight for New Jersey??? Will anyone in the New Jersey legislature stand behind the FEW assemblymen and senators who actually fight for NJ instead of worrying about their second or third pension job????

New Jersey Proud!

You know what is so terrible about all this. New Jersey is the 10th largest state and has the highest per capita income, yet we get zero respect and recognition. It's about time that New Jerseyans stand-up and have a sense of pride! It's time for us to demand more from our politicians. Demand that they fight for what they were put into office for and that is making New JERSEY a better place to work and live. Let's demand that they stop subsidizing the New York economy and start working on attracting jobs, cultural institutions, etc to our cities. We need to demand that we get the recognition for the world class events we hold here. No more hosting of world wide events and having them called "New York". No more allowing professional sports teams carry NY on their uniforms and names while we give them hundreds of millions of our hard earned tax dollars to build stadiums! No more being dictated to and told what can and can't do in our own sovereign waters.

It's time for New Jerseyans to stand up and be counted!!!

New Jersey Proud!

I know this is an old thread - but I had to post this article in light of the Super Bowl bid.

Live Earth rocks sold-out Giants Stadium
    Bon Jovi rocks sold-out Live Earth at Giants Stadium
    by Jay LustigSunday July 08, 2007, 12:36 AM

Music and message mixed - sometimes gloriously, sometimes oddly - at today's Live Earth concert at the Meadowlands.

Al Gore put the call out for a series of environmentally conscious, anti-global warming benefit concerts throughout the world, and rock, rap, country, R&B and world music artists answered the call.

Huge concerts took place across the globe -- in London, Sydney, Hamburg, and right in our backyard. Some 52,000 music lovers and potential activists filled Giants Stadium to listen to The Police, Roger Waters, Bon Jovi and other artists. Mother Nature answered the call, too, by supplying sunny and warm, but not oppressively hot weather.

As artists like Akon and Fall Out Boy performed their high-energy music, messages streamed on the video screens above them: "I will shop for the most energy-efficient products," "I will turn off whatever I'm not using, at work," and so on.

Concert-goers were repeatedly told that Live Earth was not a one-day affair or a quick fix.

"Today is not about the problem, it's more about the solutions," said Alicia Keys.

Gore, introduced by Leonardo DiCaprio, got the biggest cheers in the early portion of the show. Gore thanked the crowd, as well as others watching throughout the world.
    "You are Live Earth," he said.

He also introduced country singer Keith Urban, who opened his set with a cover of the Rolling Stone's song, "Gimme Shelter." Keys jumped onstage after the first verse to duet with him; her passionate performance kicked the show's intensity level up a notch.

The Police, performing in New Jersey for the first time since reuniting earlier this year, made their two-decade hiatus seem irrelevant with an explosive set featuring hits like "Roxanne," "Can't Stand Losing You,' and "Driven to Tears."

For their set-closing "Message in a Bottle," John Mayer added his guitar to the mix, and Kanye West rapped about the need for new political leadership and his admiration for Police front man Sting.

"You are the only police good in the 'hood," he said.

Roger Waters concentrated on songs by his former band, Pink Floyd including "Money," "Us and Them," and "Another Brick in the Wall," during which a giant white pig scrawled with messages floated above the crowd.

Bon Jovi, no stranger to Giants Stadium, gave the people what they wanted, with a sharp set dominated by hits such as "It's My Life," 'Living on a Prayer," 'Wanted Dead or Alive" and "Who Says You can't Go Home."

"This is my house. This is my home. Let them know what New Jersey's all about," Jon Bon Jovi said, referring to people watching and listening all over the world.

At the end of the band's set, the audience chanted "one more song," but the band did not comply.

Jersey-born actor Zach Braff, who introduced blues-soul-rock artist John Mayer, had a message for journalists and others throughout the world who characterized the show as Live Earth's New York installment.

"I'm sick and tired of it," he said. "The last time I checked, Giants Stadium was in the beautiful state of New Jersey."

With the mid-afternoon sun blazing, and Giants Stadium about half-filled (it was virtually all full two hours later), singer-songwriter Kenna kicked off Live Earth at 2:15 p.m. with his song "Out of Control," pointedly singing, "Crazy world, it's spinning fast/ 'Round and 'round and 'round we go...(Things are) Out of control! It's out of control!"

"You guys realize you are part of history now," he said, between songs.

Actor Kevin Bacon introduced the next artist, KT Tunstall. Wearing gold-colored tights and a "Save the Future" t-shirt, she performed a crisp set of folkish rock, including "Black Horse and Cherry Tree" and "Suddenly I See."

Artists were not only chosen because of their uplifting and/or positive lyrics. Rapper Ludacris, for instance, filled his set with raunchy material like "Move *****" and "Money Maker."

At times, it seemed like just another stadium show. But in many ways, it was hugely different. A rotating stage made quick set changes possible. Live Earth's official subtitle, "the concerts for a climate in crisis," and the Morse code dots and dashes signifying "SOS" flashed on the onstage video screen.

New Jersey Proud!

Tourist

Over the years I often read about "Giants Stadium in New York" in the media or on the internet. I think some people don't even know that the stadium is in New Jersey and some probably think that NJ is the little stepchild of NY and not worth mentioning. Hopefully, Live Earth and other concerts and events have made it clear for most that the stadium is in NJ and the state and the people should be mentioned.