Thread: "Eurovision" coming to America

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default "Eurovision" coming to America

I found out about Eurovision several years ago from my friend in Sweden. It's a huge thing in Europe and Israel. Basically it's a yearly music competition where a contestant from each European country and Israel compete to be the best European musician, music group, etc. ABBA came out of Eurovision and is still the most celebrated of the contestants. Each year Jonathan goes on and on about Eurovision and how he has to watch it. Well for the past year or more, I was thinking we should have an equivalent show, but between the states. Low and behold - guess what's coming to America.

Now I'm not into American Idol - first of all - I feel the only reason why some of those people make it as far as they do is so they can ridicule them. I'm not into making people feel like fools on national television, so I refuse to watch American Idol. However, I think this show can be great and will hopefully bring a sense of state pride like it does to the countries of Europe. It's a friendly competition and I've seen on another messagboard Europeans discussing it with each other.

I found out about it in this article on BBC.

US to emulate Eurovision contest

A US music competition based on the Eurovision Song Contest is being developed by American network NBC.
    The programme is intended to challenge American Idol, a ratings winner which is screened on rival network Fox.

A grand final with a singing representative from each US state and public voting is planned.

"Eurovision is the granddaddy of all talent shows and the Super Bowl of singing," said Ben Silverman, chairman of series producers Reveille.

Renowned
    An online competition will be held first to find singers from each US state to go forward to the grand final, with the winner landing a recording contract.

Further details of the new contest are still in development, while it is expected to become a series rather than a one-off event.

Fox's American Idol has continually scored well in the ratings, recently trouncing the Grammy Awards.

American Idol attracted 28m viewers, compared to 15m for the prestigious Grammys event which saw U2 walk away with five trophies and featured live performances from Madonna and Coldplay.

Award winner Kelly Clarkson, whose career was launched by American Idol, failed to mention the programme in her Grammy acceptance speech.

The Eurovision Contest has been running for 50 years and helped to launch the careers of Swedish pop group Abba and Canadian singer Celine Dion, both of whom were winners.

At last year's contest in Kiev, a record 39 countries from across Europe participated, with Helena Paparizou capturing a first win for Greece.

The annual event, which is watched by millions around the world, is renowned for its wide-ranging performances and voting procedure.

Each country taking part gives votes for its favourite entries, most of which are determined by television viewers, while voting for your own country is forbidden.
    Going by this article - I must be one of the few people in America not watching American Idol - but then again I didn't watch the Grammy's either. I would check this new show out because I would want to see how the New Jersey contestant was doing. If it ends up being as good as Jonathan says Eurovision is, I would watch it.

For more information on Eurovision, check out the Eurovision website. It'll give you a really good idea at how popular Eurovision is in Europe and Israel.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Going by this article - I must be one of the few people in America not watching American Idol - but then again I didn't watch the Grammy's either. I would check this new show out because I would want to see how the New Jersey contestant was doing. If it ends up being as good as Jonathan says Eurovision is, I would watch it.
    JD,

I have not seen American Idol either.
    I thought it would be similar to the "Gong Show".

Interesting that ABBA performed at Eurovision.
    How did Celine Dion get on this show? I thought it was a European event. (At least from the name Eurovision.)

Each country taking part gives votes for its favourite entries, most of which are determined by television viewers, while voting for your own country is forbidden.
    This is probably needed to avoid the larger nations dominanting the event.

While something involving people from different states is (IMO) a better idea (than American Idol), I do not think I will make an effort to find/watch this program either.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default movies and tv shows

I really have not watched much tv lately and am amazed at the new things coming out. Keep me updated. I am afraid I am becoming old fashioned. lol. Marianita