Thread: New Jersey as a unique and seperate state

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default New Jersey as a unique and seperate state

Well I often complain that NJ always gets lumped with NY or to a lesser extent Philadelphia. Well I felt it was important to point out when news articles actually seperate NJ out and not just refer to us as the "New York metropolitan area" or the "New York/Philadelphia area". This article from the Associate Press on CNN brought a smile to my face and I hope that this movement will continue. Hey - they even seperated Newark Liberty International Airport from the "New York area" airports.

Nor'easter prompts blizzard warnings
    Up to 15 inches of snow possible
    Saturday, February 11, 2006; Posted: 3:57 p.m. EST (20:57 GMT)

TRENTON, New Jersey (AP) -- A developing nor'easter headed up the East Coast on Saturday with a threat of heavy snow, canceling flights and putting road crews on overtime but cheering up skiers in a region spared harsh weather for most of this season.

Blizzard warnings were posted from the New York City area into eastern New England, where up to 15 inches of snow was possible, and a winter storm warning was issued for most of New Jersey, the National Weather Service said. Heavy snow warnings were in effect from eastern Kentucky to southeastern New York state.

Delta Air Lines said it was canceling its Sunday arrivals and departures at several airports in the storm's path, including those in New York City, Philadelphia, Boston, Baltimore, Newark, New Jersey; Providence, Rhode Island; Washington, D.C. and Hartford, Connecticut.

The New Jersey Department of Transportation had 600 trucks ready to plow snow and spread salt, plus 1,100 contractor trucks, the department said. The department also had its regular maintenance staff of 735 employees, plus more than 400 other state employees, available to operate plows.

The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had more than 160 pieces of heavy snow equipment at the New York region's Newark, Kennedy and LaGuardia airports.

In Connecticut, forecasters predicted up to 12 inches of snow, with the highest totals along the shoreline. Snow was expected to start Saturday evening and become heavy after midnight before tapering off Sunday afternoon.

Gov. M. Jodi Rell urged residents to stay off the roads if possible.

"Take it easy out there and just use common sense," she said. "We want everyone to get through this weekend storm safe and sound."

Despite the likelihood that drivers would have to dig their cars out Sunday morning, the storm was great news for northern New Jersey's Hidden Valley Resort and its 12 ski slopes, said Roni Mattiello, director of snow sports.

"It means great, fresh powder to ski in tomorrow," Mattiello said. "It will help us open terrain on the mountain that hasn't been opened yet because of the mild winter."

"Everyone is psyched and pumped up for skiing," she said.

Not all sports fans were elated, however. New York's Aqueduct race track canceled Sunday's horse racing schedule.
    It doesn't take much to make me happy sometimes. Although - I have to admit there are still some problems with the article - such as the "The Port Authority of New York and New Jersey had more than 160 pieces of heavy snow equipment at the New York region's Newark, Kennedy and LaGuardia airports." I hate being referred to as "New York region". Also, this isn't AP's fault or anything, but I think the Port Authority should be renamed to "Port Authority of NJ and NY" with NJ first. Hey - it is alphabetical and puts NY where it belongs - last.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default NJ Deserved It's Own Piece of the Puzzle!

This is a subject that has bothered me since I was a little kid!

I had one of those jigsaw puzzle maps of the United States and each state was a separate piece of the puzzle.

Almost.

They put Rhode Island and Connecticut on the same piece, which I can almost see, since Rhode Island is so tiny the piece would probably easily get lost.

But then they stuck New Jersey on the same piece as Pennsylvania. (At least they didn't join us to New York, the way most people do.)

I always wondered if New Jersey's small geographic area had something to do with the state being ignored (or "combined with") so much. I was glad when Hawaii became a state in 1959 because New Jersey moved up one state from the bottom of the list of states by area. (And Connecticut, Delaware, and Rhode Island moved down a notch.)

However, in the 1960 election, I was proud to learn that New Jersey was 8th on the list of states with most Electoral votes. It was then that I realized that New Jersey had the potential to become a "major leage" state, in more ways than one.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    I always wondered if New Jersey's small geographic area had something to do with the state being ignored (or "combined with") so much. I was glad when Hawaii became a state in 1959 because New Jersey moved up one state from the bottom of the list of states by area. (And Connecticut, Delaware, and Rhode Island moved down a notch.)
    I think it's actually because NJ doesn't foster any unique identity. As I have said repeatedly, NJ has no broadcast media of it's own. We are defined by outsiders - namely NY and Philadelphia. I'm sorry to say it - but if you split NJ in half and half became part of Pennsylvania and the other part of NY, most New Jerseyans wouldn't even notice a difference. Well actually - the broadcast media from NY and Philadelphia may then actually start broadcasting the great things there are to do here. But as of right now, there is nothing that defines NJ and our politicians let others do it for us - look at three of our professional sports teams - they carry NY on their uniforms. Have you gone to Ellis Island - no mention there about the contributions NJ made to the immigrants coming over, not even anything about the CRRNJ terminal where millions and millions took the train to all points west. It's all about NY.

To the outside world and to many New Jerseyans also - we are just an extension of NY and Pennsylvania. As matter of fact, the census bureau wanted to basically eliminate NJ and lump the southern part of NJ in with the Philadelphia metro area and the northern part of NJ with the NY metro area. Christie Whitman fought against this and won. No one would have been able to do research on NJ, to determine where they wanted to live or start a business or for a corporation to relocate here. For all purposes we would have ceased to exist.

As another example, much was made about all the NJ towns getting listed in Money Magazine's best places to live. Did you notice what they listed as the closest cities? Did they list any NJ cities? Hell no - they listed New York, even though NY was farther than Newark or Jersey City. But people on the outside no longer consider them cities, but simply suburbs of New York.

This is the way Chatham NJ is described...
    9. Chatham, New Jersey
    Chatham, just 24 miles west of New York City, feels more like a small New England town than a bustling Big Apple burb.

Locals gather for lunch and gossip at Cafe Beethoven. On weekend nights, it's the hot spot for live jazz. Across the way at the train station -- with a 45-minute link to Manhattan -- commuters are on the honor system when they toss money into a basket for morning coffee and muffins.

Not everyone works in New York: A host of corporate headquarters, including Lucent and Schering Plough, are nearby.

In fact, the Chatham would have ranked much higher but for one big drawback: The town's top-rated schools and the direct rail to New York, which started nine years ago, have made buying into Chatham an expensive proposition. You can't touch a decent home for less than $600,000, and most cost much more.
    The town is all defined by Manhattan - even though it's 24 miles away. And what do they list as the closest city? Do they list Newark or Jersey City? Of course not - it's NY. The same goes for Morrestown, which was the number one town in America. Do they list Camden as the closest, even though they are basically connected? No - they list Philadelphia, even though it's further away.

Rank....Best place.............Pop.*.........Nearest city
    1.........Moorestown, NJ.....20,700........Philadelphia
    9........Chatham, NJ...........17,600........New York City

However, in the 1960 election, I was proud to learn that New Jersey was 8th on the list of states with most Electoral votes. It was then that I realized that New Jersey had the potential to become a "major leage" state, in more ways than one.
    The problem is, it takes the politicians to fight for NJ and make it a major league state. Our representatives in congress are too busy worrying about the historic and beauty of the west, and don't fight for the historic and natrual sites of New Jersey. The condition of our Revolutionary War sites are a disgrace, yet our politicians are mostly silent. All the great things that NJ has are slowly deteriorating because of government inaction.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!