Thread: Italian Hot dogs !

Thumbs up Italian Hot dogs !

Why can I not find anyone that can make these the right way anymore ?
    I once ordered one at a small place in the Poconos and they brought out a Ball Park Frank on a Hot Dog Bun with sauce and a sliver of Mozzerella on it I told them to take it back and let the cook eat it .

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 131 Dukes St.
    Why can I not find anyone that can make these the right way anymore ?
    I once ordered one at a small place in the Poconos and they brought out a Ball Park Frank on a Hot Dog Bun with sauce and a sliver of Mozzerella on it I told them to take it back and let the cook eat it .
    Your problem was ordering it in the Poconos. Do they even have Italians in the Poconos? I've seen Italian hot dogs around, but i can't remember where. Does Seaside have any place you can get an Italian hot dog?

Let me ask you this - where the hell can I get REAL ITALIAN sausage? The stuff they sell in the store, even Wegmans isn't REAL Italian sausage. When my cousins would come down from Hazelton PA when I was little and lived at the shore, they would get a beach house and we would go there and spend the days on the beach and then have cookouts. One of the things is that my father, my uncle (father's brother) and my cousin's father - would have a contest on who could find the hottest Italian sausage. The sausage was NEVER red, what made it hot were the seeds.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

You may be able to find that sausage at Lenny`s market on Hooper ave. in the silverton section of Toms River.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 131 Dukes St.
    You may be able to find that sausage at Lenny`s market on Hooper ave. in the silverton section of Toms River.
    Thanks - I'll have to try there then. I make homemade pizza too - with sausage and so I'll try their sausage with that.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Italian Hot Dogs

You know, I spent the first 22 years of my life in New Jersey, in a family that was half Italian (and the Italian half dominated when it came to food) and I have never eaten or even SEEN an Italian hot dog! They were just not around in Bergen County in the 50s, 60s, and 70s.

I'm not even sure what would constitute an authentic Italian hot dog, though I am very opinionated about other Italian foods.

Speaking of Italian sausage, my grandmother's parents were from Genoa in Northern Italy, so she prefered the mild variety. In fact, not only mild, but a special smaller sized Italian sausage (about halfway in size between regular Italian sausage and breakfast sausage) called lagonica. The Portugese have a sausage with a similar name: linguiša.

I love a good Italian sausage and pepper hero (or sub) sandwich, but I like the sausage to be cooked in the sauce, not just have a little sauce spooned on top. And the roll must be crisp, no ersatz Italian Wonder Bread rolls!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 07-23-2007 at 04:15 PM.

Serras Sausage in Vineland makes the best sausage (except for home made)that I have ever had.
    Hot, Fennel, Garlic and Broccoli Rabe, Garlic and Parsley, Parsley and Cheese... You get the idea.