Page 1 of 15 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: CORZINE TAXES!!!!!!!

Default CORZINE TAXES!!!!!!!

Just saw on the news that Corzines advisers are telling him to raise taxes on Gasoline,Cable TV and to include Clothing on the 6 percent sales tax to help balance the budget. Lets hope it is not so. The clothing tax would hurt businesses in NJ because people travel from NY and Penn. to go to our malls and shops to save on the tax.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I'm really not that surprised. It's the easy way out. Instead of streamlining government, and working on what is causing NJ to spend more and more money, they just tax the citizens or businesses. I wsh that if I got into finacial trouble, I could just charge more to make up the difference. That is basically what is going on - NJ is charging MORE to live here, even though it is not running efficiently. For all practical purposes, government is the true monopoly - the only thing is that we are the oneswho voted for these people to be in office. If New Jerseyans don't like being taxed to death - why do we keep voting in the same type of politicians over and over again.

BTW - I have heard, even by people within the government, that Corzine has his sights ste on tghe presidency and that he is just going to put NJ on cruise control until the elections. So that's just great, another 2 years of a do nothing governor.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Unhappy

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Instead of streamlining government, and working on what is causing NJ to spend more and more money, they just tax the citizens or businesses. I wsh that if I got into finacial trouble, I could just charge more to make up the difference. That is basically what is going on - NJ is charging MORE to live here, even though it is not running efficiently.
    . . .
    So that's just great, another 2 years of a do nothing governor.
    Doing nothing may be preferable to doing harm to our state.

I also wish that gov't would try to be more efficient at what it does before it decides that more money is needed to run gov't.

Government may also come to the conclusion that certain jobs are not gov't's responsibility.

davegering,

I have heard similar reports about Corzine as well. If a tax is put on clothing, it would encourage me to do shoping in MD or VA when I visit family down there. (IIRC, sales tax on clothing in MD and VA is 5% and 4.5% repectively)

5% is not much, but it does add up when added to other proposed tax increases.

Gannet News - Courierpostonline

"This is finally the day of reckoning," said James W. Hughes, a Rutgers University dean and expert on the state economy. "In the past three years we've maintained our standard of living the old-fashioned way by borrowing and living off core assets."
    "We don't have a revenue problem in the state of New Jersey; we have an expenditure problem," McCormac said. "We collect more money per capita than any state in the country. The problem is we spend it all."
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Well MR Taxman has taken office. I suppose none of us really expected much less than for Corzine to further tax New Jerseyans. I will have some comments regarding this, but one thing I find interesting is that as a businessman - he didn't change anything to make NJ more attractive to businesses after McGreevey made NJ one of the worst states to have a business in. Businesses are leaving NJ, and with them, their tax dollars and the jobs they provide. By further taxing them, all the do is just move somewhere else.

I also have to laugh whenever I see Katz, who he had the affair with, get on TV praising Corzine. Is it really any surprise that Corzine will be cutting government personnel, but supposedly anyone in the union is safe?

Well anyway, anyone who would like to watch the budget address they can view it on NJN - 2006 Corzine Budget Address

BTW - as was pointed out, people are going to feel the hit in higher property taxes, even though Corzine gave a "small" rebate increase. He froze benefits to towns and cities, so they will pass that onto their local citizens through higher property taxes.

I like how the Trentonian reader said that Corzine was preparing to Floriorize the state's taxpayers. Well if that is truly the case, well then i suppose it will be only a matter of time when New Jerseyans start having the Impeach Corzine bumper stickers like they did with Florio. New Jerseyans have to start demanding more from our politicitions.

By the way - one of the ways they could help the budget, even modestly is to call off the deal with the New YORK Red Bulls for their stadium and then also, kill the Giants and Jets deal. We are giving too much away with those deals in comparison to what we get out. Hell - we don't even get any money from all the ticket sales of any events that take place in the new statdium like we currently do. But hey, our politicians seem to be NY puppets, so what else is new.

According to the Trentonian, Corzine is increasing taxes by $1.5 billion, while at the same time INCREASING spending by $2.6 billion.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hi Jersey Devil, The only thing that can be said in Corzines behalf is that the tax problem and deficit was already there when he came into office. He quite simply does not know how to deal with it.Imagine the property taxes going higher then they already are? Or taxing clothing which is quite ridiculous as people come from different places to buy it and save money? What Corzine needs to do is find out where the money is going and why is it spent as soon as it comes in. I was anxious to see how he would manage but it did not take me long to figure out that he seems to not know where to begin. He could make the state of New Jersey too costly for anyone to live in. He needs to get busy and find a way to lower property taxes. Isn't that what he promised to do anyway? That was the first thing he said when he came into office. Marianita

I'm not surprised he doesn't know where to begin - he's too busy protecting his cronies and the unions.

As for why the money is spent as soon as it comes in - that's easy - NJ has a huge bureacracy with everyone having their hand out. Instead of finding ways to bring more taxes in from the outside - Corzine is just taxing the people in the state so the people who can afford it will just leave. of course all this does is leave the burden on the poorer residents who can't leave the state. Then while businesses leave the state because of the anti-business policies, unemployment rises, causing even more poverty and lower tax base.

Do I believe corzine will have a positive affect on the state - no I don't. I was hoping that as a business person he would find ways to bring in businesses and promote NJ. But as I've seen, he is just tax and spend - he just shifted the spending around. Government employees are being cut back - whch isn't an issue - but he managed to protect the UNION employees.

Oh wel we'll see what he does in four years. So far he looks like another Florio.

As for the property tax - he's already reneged on that promise. He isn't restoring the full rebate like he promised and on top of that he CUT funding to townships - so now in order for those townships not to have a deficit they will have to RAISE property taxes, because now they aren't getting the money from the state.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Corzine

All I can say is the politicians in Trenton better be REAL carefull because they know their cans are on the line ! And using the word can is being nice , but I will not be too nice if they continue to screw up with OUR money !
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

Quote Originally Posted by NJPRIDE
    All I can say is the politicians in Trenton better be REAL carefull because they know their cans are on the line ! And using the word can is being nice , but I will not be too nice if they continue to screw up with OUR money !
    Nothing is going to change unless New Jerseyans actually wake up. Do you realize that property taxes been issue since the late 1800's? I'm not sure how much of an issue - if it central campaign issue or what, but this is ridiculous that 100 years later people are complaining about the same thing. Even after 30 years, something should have been done, more than just that ridiculous rebate program that just causes paper work, and thus causes money to be spent to manage.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hi Jersey Devil, New Jersey pride, You won't believe this one. I read in the Times that Corzine is going to spend four million dollars to preserve historical landmarks and parks for future generations. This is all well and good if there is money to do it with but the state of New Jersey does not have it to spare. I wonder where the money is going to come from for this and why it cannot wait until other issues are dealt with. There are immediate concerns and Corzine is sidestepping them. Preserving landmarks can wait until the right time. I cannot believe I read this. From the article I get the impression that there is no money for this sort of thing. That does not sound like a man who is interested in lowering property taxes. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Jersey Devil, Jersey Warren, check this out.. I read it today in the Bridgeton news. Tell me what you think.
    Corzine is cutting these things: 1.5 million to cut the ''clean elections pilot program'' whatever that is. lol. He is cutting 1.5 million on the ''Battleship NJ museum'', 1.5 million on faith based charities iniaitive'', place a levy on registering cars costing more then $45,00 or less then 19 miles to the gallon. He is cutting 10 million from the snow removal fund, also cuts totalling more then 150 million for public 4 yr colleges and universities. and last but not least, he is looking to end the practice of state road crews to clean up ''road kill.'' Rather interesting don't you think? I wonder who gets to clean up the road kill. Apparently there is a 4.5 billion $$ deficit which sounds like alot of money to me but he is cutting some valuable programs. Universities are of utmost importance. What are your feelings on this? It causes me concern. Marianita

You lef tout that he still is giving $85 million to build the former MetroStars - now known as the New YORK Red Bulls their stadium. He also gave the Giants and Jets naming right to the ENTIRE Meadowlands sports complex, yet New Jersey will see none of that money.

Also, government employees are being cut, but not the union workers. [insert comment here on Katz and Corzine's relationship]

I think it's more o the same - tax and spend. He didn't cut spending, spending actually increased I believe by 1.5 billion dollars. He also is looking at selling the NJ toll roads.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Angry Corzine and taxes

My goodness but the Bridgeton news left that part out. 85,000,00 is alot of loot and NJ will see none of it? It is a disgrace. Is Corzine from New York or what? I believe that the deficit will just increase and nothing will be gained. I I just read on South Jersey news that Corzine is thinking of revising an old 1949 law to make it possible for people to pump their own gas and maybe saving .6 a gallon. Big deal. Like that is going to help alot. It may help a little but New Jerseans are not used to pumping their own gas and besides it will put gas station attendents out of a job. Why have attendents if they do not pump gas? What a shame. I am wondering where all this will lead to. Marianita

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    My goodness but the Bridgeton news left that part out. 85,000,00 is alot of loot and NJ will see none of it? It is a disgrace. Is Corzine from New York or what?
    The team will be playing in NJ - but is called the NY Red Bulls. They have no association with NY, they chose the name because they feel NJ is an embarrassment and NY has more cache. This is why I am working on the the DropNY.com website. We pay the money, NY gets all the recognition and even more people are made to believe that Nj is just a surbub of NY and Philadelphia.

I believe that the deficit will just increase and nothing will be gained. I I just read on South Jersey news that Corzine is thinking of revising an old 1949 law to make it possible for people to pump their own gas and maybe saving .6 a gallon. Big deal. Like that is going to help alot. It may help a little but New Jerseans are not used to pumping their own gas and besides it will put gas station attendents out of a job. Why have attendents if they do not pump gas? What a shame. I am wondering where all this will lead to. Marianita
    As I said in the past - I don't use the term "South" Jersey, espicially capitalize. There is no South Jersey or North Jersey, only New Jersey. I prefer the terms northern New Jersey or southern New Jersey.

As for the self serve, it is amazing that NO news media has pointed out that the ONLY way having self serve gas stations can bring about a reduction in gas cost is by gas stations to fire all their gas station attendants. The cost of full service is SOLELY in the wages of the gas station attendant.

Corzine is grasping at straws. He has no plans, he has no vision and all he sees is basically tax and spend.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hi Jersey Devil, It takes a govenor with a plan and as you said vision. Corzine lacks the experience so it seems to deal with a huge deficit. He wants to cut in many areas and spend in others which accomplishes absolutely nothing except to remain a deficit. If he put gas station attendents out of a job they will apply for unemployment. That is one example of his lacking vision. He has to think of what the end result will be. Maybe he is loaded with money but not everyone else is. And to cut for colleges and universities is downright stupid. People need their education. Nothing on this earth is going to get any cheaper, you can bet on that. Common sense will tell you that all he is doing is moving money around, taking from here to give to there. Now what does that accomplish. I do not trust his methods of governing because I do not think he knows what he is doing. Looks like New Jersey is too much of a challenge for him. I hope he shapes up and does a good job in that lovely state. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Hi Jersey Devil, I just read in the Times that Corzines popularity has really plummeted. McGreevey fared alot better. Now Corzine wants to raise the state taxes which is a major part of his losing popularity. In his case it is just tax this and tax that, raise the state tax to 7 % if I am correct on that. Ofcourse people are aware that Corzine inherited the deficit and did not cause it but he does not have the faintest idea what to do with the deficit. He is making the New Jersey residents upset. The property taxes are so high already and for him to tax everything else including valuable programs is a bit much. I wonder where this will all lead. It would seem if he has to make cuts to do it gradually and to be careful of what programs he cuts. Now take road kill for example. Imagine cutting that? Someone has to clean it up. Lord help us all. Marianita

Tourist

Default IMPEACH CORZINE

While Corzine blames the legislature, his approach is to further cripple revenue in the state by driving business and consumers out. He should be imperached for malfeasance!! Join the Chorus!!

Meanwhile let's decrease big state expenses and get back to reality with a budget that can work!!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Corzine

Corzine needs to go as Dave said. He is going to ruin the economy. Obviously he does not know what to do now that the situation is clearly out of control. tax this. tax that. That's all he knows. It looks as if we are facing a real crisis. I feel that the people of New Jersey should have a say on where the money goes and how it is to be used. I believe it is 1 million dollars a day being lost on lottery tickets.So people are going to Philly to purchase them. Increasing taxes is not really the answer but less spending might. The money is sure going somewhere. Marianita

Recent Resident

Default Corzine Taxes

What is sad is that Politicians in New Jersey have multiple pensions. If anyone serves one year on any N.J. Assembly, that person gets benefits for life. Our taxes are up because we need to support these people. Last weeks FAKE shut down of the state show, was to insult the people in excepting the tax increase. One question, how do we, the people benefit from Corzines taxes? The national interest rates went up so Real Estate is DEAD in N.J. right now. If you want to feel good, remember we help support multiple pensions and life long benefits for N.J. Politicians. I find ways to avoid the tax increase that I don't want to afford. I recently quit the NYSC, which is being taxed under Corzines plan and joined the YMCA, A non prophet organization, which cannot be taxed. I will do more shopping on Ebay, and Wal-marts. I believe in Unions, Unfortunately, I cant afford to support them. I need to save money elsewhere to pay Corzines taxes. I have to shop at Non Union Stores like Wal-marts because they are cheaper then any store in any Mall. He taxing tanning solons, but he has not taxed the sun, a natural tanning salon, but I'm sure a Solar tax is going to be next for Corzine and then a gravity tax. . I hate these decisions, but Mr Corzine help me make them with his actions. I just wish Corzine would explain how N.J. benefits having him as Governor. He raised my taxes and his home rebate plan is a joke. Taxes will rise $1000 next year and he will give us $250 back. Its like doubling the price at a store and having a 25% sale on everything. I love that he calls it a penny increase, its a 16% increase on every dollar. I also wish NJ would declare July 29 and 30 National Stay home and BBQ day. We also need to stop justifying $3.00 a gallon gas.

Talking Corizne Taxes

I agree with lordmarc, he states that the state shut down was a sham!!! It WAS!!! Corzine's whole purpose was to raise the taxes by 1% and by shutting down the state (AT THE COST OF STATE RESIDENTS) residents of NJ would be happy to pay any increase as long as the state was running again!!! It was a stale mate and NJ residents were the victims. What should actually happen is to, of course, vote out the HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES and LEGISLATURE members, this is to show the power's that be 2 things- 1) NJ residents won't stand for guerilla tacticts by HOR & LEG members, 2) Forces the HOR & LEG member to live by the laws that they enacted.

New Jerseyan

Default Slim Governor

I suggest that we dont just talk about getting rid of the S.O.Bs in Trenton but DO IT ! I WILL NOT VOTE DEMOCRAT IN NOVEMBER . I will keep this promise !
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !