Thread: I'm obsessed... are you?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default I'm obsessed... are you?

I'm sure not many of you are as obsessed as I am, but I'm sure I'm not alone in this. At least I hope not.

I had a dream today that I was in Sri Lanka or some asia Pacific Island, not really sure where. After spending some time on the beach, I decided to check out the hotel and in the lobby in the corner they had a small amusement ride and then a tourist brochure rack. The surprising thing about the rack was that at the top in big letters it said "New Jersey". The rack was all NJ brochures and only NJ brochures. Another thing that was surprising, yet very nice to see, was that there were Statue of Liberty brochures with New JERSEY written on them. I asked the guy what made them choose NJ, when so many other places seem to concentrate on Florida, NY, California, Las Vegas, etc, but he said he didn't know. I was getting ready to take a pic of the brochure rack with my cell to show people, but then someone got on the amusement ride and got in the way, so I figured I'd come back in a few minutes and take it then. Only like 5 minutes went by, but when I got there, the amusement ride was gone and so was the brochure rack. I asked an employee who was standing there, where they went and he pointed me in the direction. I found the amusement ride, but I woke up before I found the brochure rack. I really wanted to take a pic of that brochure rack.

Okay - as I said, I'm a bit obsessed with New Jersey.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Devil, I am indeed obsessed also. I subscribe to ,''New Jersey Life,'' ''New Jersey Monthly'' and ,'' South Jersey.'' That dream you had was extremely detailed. I wonder what the meaning is. It is too bad you did not find the brochure rack. Sometimes as I drift into sleep I get the feeling I am in Marlton instead of Calif. I have many dreams about NJ but do not always remember the details. Cherry Hill is sure a fun place to shop. lol. Take care. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile How's this for obsessed?

I'll describe some things in my home office (I work out of my home in Florida):

Two New Jersey state flags. One is inserted into a stand I made by putting a wooden disk inside an empty Taylor Pork Roll box. The other is behind my computer, stuck into a pen holder.

A round tray with a map of New Jersey on it.

An empty drink cup and take-out menu from Jersey Mike's subs. (There is one about 30 miles from here.)

My old New Jersey drivers license. (One of the paper ones with no picture on it.)

A miniature NJ license plate.

A Cape May beach tag

A Mattel miniature bus (Matchbox size) with the words "Down The Shore Tours of New Jersey" on the side.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default obsessed

Hi Jersey Warren, I work and live in Central California. My NJ obsession started when my son got a job offer 3 years ago, well actually he is on his 3rd year. I encouraged him to try it for year. Well, I remember crying when I found out he was really leaving but even though I had encouraged him to try it. There is a big difference between driving 250 miles and going 3000 miles to see him and my daughter-in-law and my little granddaughter. Well, I went on vacation there. In no time at all my son earned the name,''Jersey Rich,'' as he adjusted overnight. They simply love it there. I was absolutely enchanted and returned again and now am going again. I proceeded to find out all I could about NJ and subscribed to NJ magazines and read the news too and I learned so much that I can actually tell my son what is going on there. He laughs because he lives there yet I can tell him the news in Marlton. lol. I have my annual Cape May calender, my Cape May tee shirt, my NJ tee shirt, coffee cup, have sent for brochures and such for the finest places to eat and places of interest. I think it is cool that you have all your Jersey reminders near you. I do too. I am a Jersey girl at heart. You must miss it terribly. Sometimes I can close my eyes and imagine myself there. Marianita

Smile The "Jersey-California Connection"

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jersey Warren, I work and live in Central California. My NJ obsession started when my son got a job offer 3 years ago, well actually he is on his 3rd year. I encouraged him to try it for year. Well, I remember crying when I found out he was really leaving but even though I had encouraged him to try it. There is a big difference between driving 250 miles and going 3000 miles to see him and my daughter-in-law and my little granddaughter. Well, I went on vacation there. In no time at all my son earned the name,''Jersey Rich,'' as he adjusted overnight. They simply love it there. I was absolutely enchanted and returned again and now am going again. I proceeded to find out all I could about NJ and subscribed to NJ magazines and read the news too and I learned so much that I can actually tell my son what is going on there. He laughs because he lives there yet I can tell him the news in Marlton. lol. I have my annual Cape May calender, my Cape May tee shirt, my NJ tee shirt, coffee cup, have sent for brochures and such for the finest places to eat and places of interest. I think it is cool that you have all your Jersey reminders near you. I do too. I am a Jersey girl at heart. You must miss it terribly. Sometimes I can close my eyes and imagine myself there. Marianita
    Hi Marianita!

You wouldn't think there would be much similarity beteween New Jersey and California, being on opposite sides of the continent. Yet, in all my moves around the country (from New Jersey, to New York, to Massachusetts, to California, to Texas, to Wisconsin, to Florida) the transition to California was the easiest for me. I felt at home immediately there. There was a movie with Robbie Benson about a guy who moved from Jersey City to L.A. and the amazing thing was, when he got there, it reminded him of home!

I think that both Caifornia (or a least Southern California) and New Jersey are both very "accepting" places. Other places DEMAND that you become just like them before they accept you. You have to root for their sports teams, talk like them, dress like them, act like them, etc. But you can move to L.A. County or Ocean County (as examples) and just be yourself and have no problem fitting in. I don't know how many times people in Texas told me "WE [whoever "We" is] don't do it like that here!" To which I'd reply: "Who says? Where is it written?"

In Toms River you can cheer for whatever sports team you want New York, Philly, or New Jersey (or somewhere else) and no one gives you a hard time. Same with California. But if you don't support the Packers in Wisconsin, watch out!

So many places in this country are just so provincial. New Jersey and California are just the opposite. I'm glad your son feels at home in New Jersey!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    In Toms River you can cheer for whatever sports team you want New York, Philly, or New Jersey (or somewhere else) and no one gives you a hard time. Same with California. But if you don't support the Packers in Wisconsin, watch out!
    Well except from me maybe. I don't like it at all when New Jerseyans root for NY or Philadelphia teams - when we have our OWN teams in those sports. I always get on my cousins case about rooting for the NY Rangers and the Knicks. Show some pride where you live. The out of state teams bring no tax revenue to New Jersey at all. I say home state pride first.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Obsessed

Hi Jersey Warren, Do you think my love of New Jersey stems from being born and raised in Maryland? Not that the two are alike but both east coast. I have no ties with Maryland in my mind and heart for some reason but NJ I do, maybe because my son went there. Who knows? Now as for California, Southern Calif, Central Calif and Northern Calif are 3 different worlds entirely. You know how Los Angeles is, traffic and lots of places to go and people everywhere. I moved here in 1978 and and for me, Central Calif is like home. We have lots of crops here. It is agricultural. We are the grape capitol of the world here. Northern Calif is very cold all year round and a heat wave is about 60 degrees. Here temps of 110 are not unusual whereas Los Angeles is seldom hotter then 95, often not that hot. I guess that's why things grow so well here. It is not really like New Jersey as far as I can see but when I set my feet on NJ soil it is also home for me. I believe you are right when you say Southern Calif is accepting of people but here in the Central valley we have 58 nationalities. I am a people person and really enjoy the diversity. I seem to fit in nicely in NJ as I get royally treated everywhere I go.I am ever so greatful that , my son, ''Jersey Rich,'' loves his job and life there. He purchaesd a Lincoln Navigator after ending up in Philly from Marlton while exiting a jug handle that went off in different directions. LOL. My daughter-in-law did the same thing. Anyway I am so excited I can hardly stand it, the waiting and today I buy my ticket, just have to check with ''Jersey Rich'' as to the exact day. Take care. Marianita

I don't think I can deny that I'm pretty obsessed with New Jersey and will be for the rest of my life. Newark in particular but the state at large as well.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default obsession

Hi Jersey warren, My obsession is with Marlton which is due to my son and daughter-in-law there and grandaughter. I also know people there now and ofcourse in Cinnaminson too. But all of Jersey is just fine with me and tomorrow I will be boarding a plane and will arrive in Philly sometime during the night. lol. To say I am happy would be an understatement as New Jersey is my home too. I am all packed and ready to go. The ''New Jersey baby'' is due in Sept and is a little boy. So I will say goodbye to work for a whole month and the people I love here. Take care. I will send a message from the garden state. Marianita

Default Have a great trip!

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Jersey warren, My obsession is with Marlton which is due to my son and daughter-in-law there and grandaughter. I also know people there now and ofcourse in Cinnaminson too. But all of Jersey is just fine with me and tomorrow I will be boarding a plane and will arrive in Philly sometime during the night. lol. To say I am happy would be an understatement as New Jersey is my home too. I am all packed and ready to go. The ''New Jersey baby'' is due in Sept and is a little boy. So I will say goodbye to work for a whole month and the people I love here. Take care. I will send a message from the garden state. Marianita
    Have a wonderful time, Marianita!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey

Hi Jersey Warren, I have this way of being able to forget everything once I am on the plane except for where I am going. California is left behind and I think of my second home. Oh my goodness, 5 hours until my plane leaves. God bless. Marianita