Thread: First trip to Los Angeles, CA

Talking First trip to Los Angeles, CA

I went to CA for the first time for a friends wedding in the LA area.
    I was there from 05-JAN-2006 to 10-JAN-2006.

Overall I had a good trip. Some impressions.

The weather was great.
    Sunny about 75-85 (24-29C) daytime 45-55 (7-13C) nighttime.
    Low humidity.

The flowers/plants were interresting.

The driving on the freeways are a nightmare (primarily due to volume). Especially during rush hour. It is similar to driving through the Holland Tunnel during rush hour. Big difference is the traffic is every where. In NJ the traffic is usually limited around NYC and PHL during rushhour. I think you are better off not driving during this time. If you must drive, Local streets can often be better than freeways.

Drivers in LA area appear to be much worse than my experience in NJ.
    I barely avoided being part of an accident several times during my stay.

Rodeo drive was nice to see, but nothing very spectacular.
    The Farmer Market was very nice. Especially the area known as "The Grove", An open air mall with an operational trolley car.

Nixon's Library in Yorba Linda is impressive and I think is worth a visit.
    The tour at Universal Studios is fun.

The Queen Mary in Long Beach was nice to see from a local restaurant.

Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey are nice towns to visit.

Hollywood and Beverly Hills were nice to drive through, though I did not have much time for sightseeing here.

The Plane flight was good. Had an opportunity to see the Rocky Mts. and the Grand Canyon Area from the plane. Very picturesque.

Sales tax is about 8.25%
    Gasoline prices widely vary depending on location. 50 price differences do not appear to be uncommon.

Large asian and hispanic presence.

If anyone else had any experience of the LA area, I would be interested to hear them.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I have quite a few experiences with LA. I had been there several times and my sister worked in PR in Hollywood. Laura Crockett, the host of Exploring NJ, is from LA. She likes NJ much better than NJ and thinks that California in general is very over rated.

My ompression of LA - it's one massive suburb with endless houses and highways, choked with traffic and a very small downtown city.

I often wonder what my life would have been like if we had stayed out in San Diego. When I was one year old we lived out in California for a year, while my father was in the navy. I am a true New Jerseyan though - I was born in New Brunswick.

As for Nixon's Library - I had been there also. It is really nice. I especially liked seeing his family house where he grew up. I had wanted to go to the Ronald Reagan Library, but that was a bit far north and I didn't have time.

I've been all over round the LA/Orange County area, from Universal Studios, Pasadena, to Huntingon Beach, Laguna Beach and Disneyland. I've also driven down to San Diego and went to the San Diego Zoo and Sea World and Old Town (which is the historic Mexican district).
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    My ompression of LA - it's one massive suburb with endless houses and highways, choked with traffic and a very small downtown city.

That is a good (concise) generalization of the LA area. It is not completely accurate of all LA, but it does a great job for a summary.

At times, there was a haze in the atmosphere, but I am not sure if this can be attributed to smog (ie air pollution).
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR

That is a good (concise) generalization of the LA area. It is not completely accurate of all LA, but it does a great job for a summary.

At times, there was a haze in the atmosphere, but I am not sure if this can be attributed to smog (ie air pollution).
    Yes - LA is highly polluted and also their ocean water is highly polluted. When hey were filming Baywatch there, the actors hated going into the water because not only was it cold, but they would come out with slime on them. Makes it sort of ironic since Californians like to think that NJ is so polluted, and yet our water is cleaner than theirs and so is our air.

[edit] I think that the reason a lot of places make fun of NJ, especially NY and LA, is because they have to make themselves feel better. I had talked to a NYer a couple of months ago who moved to NJ and she said that most of the jokes they tell actually refer to true NY things, the big hair, the accent, the traffic and all that.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default LA, San Diego and so forth

I am familiar with all those places. Central Calif is the best place to live, in my opinion,( in California,) which is why I am here. My youngest daughter was born in San Diego.She was one year old when I moved here to the Central Valley. Unfortunately the air quality is bad. There are good and bad days. The haze over LA is smog. The traffic is just awful on the freeways. But I drove them to get around fast. Here it is not necessary to use the freeways as there are so many roads where the speed limit is 65 anyway. Atleast something can be seen, like trees and flowers instead of freeway. lol. The Garden State Parkway is pretty. I like to look at scenery, not a bunch of pavement. lol. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default L.A.

Hi folks.

I lived in Los Angeles County from September of 1989 through March of 1992. It was a city called Glendora, about 18 miles East of Pasadena. For the most part, I enjoyed it, obvious problems and all. I believe New Jerseyans are psychologically better equipped to get the most out of L.A. than are most other Ameicans. L.A., like New Jersey, is an intense place that overwhelms many visitors and transplants. The massive freeway system intimidates many people. However, equipped with a trusty Thomas Guide (book of maps that correspond to a master grid) I went everywhere. On my first visit, I was navigating the freeways like a pro.

It helped that ever since I watched the Mickey Mouse Club as a kid I wanted to move there! After that it was the Beach Boys and the surfing scene. I envisioned a New Jersey Shore where it was never wintertime. I'd looked at many maps of L.A. over the years. At one point, driving down Wilshire Boulevard, I thought to myself: "I'll make a left on Sepulveda and get on the Pasadena Freeway." Several blocks later, I saw Sulpeveda, then the Pasadena Freeway. But I wasn't looking at the map at the time. Afterwards, I asked myself: "How did I know that? I've never been here before!" I think years of reading about L.A. and looking at maps of L.A. had imprinted a lot in my subconscious mind.

Another time, I was driving down I-10 and thought I saw a sign that read "Garden State Parkway." When I got closer I saw that it said: "Golden State Freeway"!

One of my favorite movies was called either "California Dreamin'" or "California Girls" with Robbie Benson as a guy from Jersey City who moves to L.A. Then, while walking along the beach he says to himself: "This looks just like Jersey!" He then meets a girl from Jersey City.

I used to like to take Californians down a peg or two by acting very nonchalent about their city. When one guy asked me if I was adapting to their pace, I asked what he meant. "You, know, our fast pace," he explained. "Oh, that," I said. "Actually, compared to the New York metropolitan area, it's pretty slow!" Or I'd refer to L.A. as "a nice little city."

On the whole, I liked it, but went broke there and had to leave. The cost of living was high and the pay scale low.

I went back to Southern California in 1996 when my wife and I got married. We went to Catalina Island for our honeymoon. Great place. We had to spend two nights on the mainland at a hotel in Anaheim to get a good deal on our airfare and I was surprised that the smog wasn't as bad as it was back in the early 90s. I guess they're working on it.

I liked San Diego and Santa Barbara much better than L.A. though. If I were moving there and had the money (which is doubtful!), I'd go to one of those two places.

Here's an interesting point: The summer ocean temps off L.A. are generally cooler than off the New Jersey Shore during the months of July and August.

An afterthought: I moved from the L.A. area to Dallas. Though only a third the size of L.A., I could see that Dallas was heading in the same direction more and more freeways and multi-level interchanges. I nicknamed Dallas "L.A. on the prairie." And I made up a few Dallas jokes, such as Q. What would you call Los Angeles if the Pacific Ocean dried up? A. Dallas!

I'll take New Jersey over either of them, because not only does N.J. have an ocean, but the urban part of the state is away from the ocean instead of right on it. L.A. is more like Nausau County, Long Island, with palm trees.
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-17-2006 at 04:32 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Pride, I have a brother who lives in Glendora. I was in the LA area recently and it is the same, endless traffic snarled up on the freeways. San Diego is nice but there is one place I would move to tomorrow if I could. That is Sacramento. Have you ever been there? There is no comparison between New Jersey and Los Angeles that I can see. New Jersey is better. lol. I am sure glad I am here in this part of California. Take care. Marianita