Thread: Pop-culture References to New Jersey

Default Pop-culture References to New Jersey

This thread is about all the places you've seen a reference to the state of New Jersey (where else? ).

It can be a book, movie, music, magazine article, TV show or advertisement, or some other pop-culture reference. The book (etc) doesn't have to be set there, all you need is a reference.

To start off the list, I will put the TV show the Gilmore Girls. This show is set in Conneticut, but they make at least one major reference to Atlantic City, NJ when Jason and Richard plan to take some clients there.

Add your posts!

I was watching the CONEHEADS yesterday and they lived in NJ with the Daughter going to Paramus High School
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Nice one Dave.

On Zoolander, Derek Zoolander is from South New Jersey, in coal mining country to be more precise. (This leads to some funny scenes that might make coal miners cry.)

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    This thread is about all the places you've seen a reference to the state of New Jersey (where else? ).

It can be a book, movie, music, magazine article, TV show or advertisement, or some other pop-culture reference. The book (etc) doesn't have to be set there, all you need is a reference.

To start off the list, I will put the TV show the Gilmore Girls. This show is set in Conneticut, but they make at least one major reference to Atlantic City, NJ when Jason and Richard plan to take some clients there.

Add your posts!
    Old Movie: The President's Analyst 1967.
    They make a reference to Seaside Hieghts, NJ and show a picture of the community. It is a beautiful community. Only problem is that the town shown in the movie is not Seaside Heights.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    Old Movie: The President's Analyst 1967.
    They make a reference to Seaside Hieghts, NJ and show a picture of the community. It is a beautiful community. Only problem is that the town shown in the movie is not Seaside Heights.
    Well that's like that show Point Pleasant (don't think it lasted more than two seasons). It was supposed to take place in Point Pleasant NJ - but anyone familiar could tell that it wasn't even NJ - let alone Pt Pleasant. They allowed teenagers to have bon fires on the beach and people drove out onto the beach at night and had parties. In NJ - cars aren't allowed to drive on the beach, except at Island Beach State Park - and even there it is extremely limited.

On the Waterfront with Marlon Brando was filmed in NJ and was rated the 17th greatest film by Entertainment Weekly.

Two of Ron Howard's latest films were about New Jerseyans and filmed in NJ. A Beautifull Mind which was filmed down the street from me won the best picture oscar, as well as best director and best actor. The other film came out in 2005 and was Cinderella Man which was an awesome movie about a boxer during the great depression. If you haven't seen Cinderella Man - I highly recommend it.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Nice one Dave.

On Zoolander, Derek Zoolander is from South New Jersey, in coal mining country to be more precise. (This leads to some funny scenes that might make coal miners cry.)
    That's sort of funny - I haven't seen Zoolander, but there isn't any coal mining in Southern NJ. Was the area shown mountainous, because southern NJ is flat. It's the coastal plain area. (sort of off topic, but I am interested in how they portrayed coal mining in southern New Jersey ).

BTW - the person who plays Rory's grandmother on Gilmore Girls is a New Jerseyan.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

The Main Character in the Movie Coyote Ugly was from South Amboy and I believe they called her JERSEY as her nickname. I was insulted during the movie because the owner of the bar asked her if she was from Dumb**** Kentucky and she said no she was from South Amboy Nj and she said thats the same thing. I went to school in South Amboy for 12 years
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Well that's like that show Point Pleasant (don't think it lasted more than two seasons)
    There was a lot of contreversary with the show Point Pleasant to begin with because of the storylines and such. It DIED in the ratings anyway.

And who else could forget about the MTV Beachhouse in Seaside. The only location they returned to ever. Seaside must have left an impression on them. I believe at one point they discussed coming back for a third season maybe it was '05 or '04? but decided against it for some reason. It worked out very well for the town and area. It'd be great if they ever came back again.

The movie Garden State. Personally I wasnt too into that movie. But whatever the case it involved Jersey. Of course you also can add the sopranos to the list. Not that everyone feels the portray Jersey in the BEST of ways.

Amityville Horror was FILMED in Toms River. (AS I know you can probably name or find several filsm that were). The house is still there and you can see scenes in area places. And shots from downtown. Big Night was Filmed in Keyport, Monmouth County. Tony Shaloub and Stanley Tucci star in it, I loved the movie.

And through a little reasearch heres a nice list of some scenes shot in Jersey they range from Annie-Daddy Warbuck's townhouse (West Long Branch); Friday the 13th, Camp Crystal Lake in Blairstown.
    The list is here: http://www.fast-rewind.com/cgi-bin/s...htype=LocState And Im sure there are SEVERAL more.
    Joe
    Beachwood, Ocean County
    AboutNewJersey.com Weather Blog

Nice one JD, I was going to say On the Waterfront! The whole movie is set in NJ, or at least the main character is New Jerseyan. I haven't seen the movie. I'd like to watch it though, maybe my roommate and I will watch it after our Rocky marathon.

I looked up On the Waterfront because of the great line, "I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contender."

Zoolander looks like a stupid movie. I only watched about half an hour and my tolerance for banality was already overloaded. I wouldn't waste my time watching it if I were you. Plus the incorrect reference to New Jersey might give you the irrits. It is kind of funny that they seemingly picked a state at random to be coal mining country. Is there a perception about NJ that it's a "blue collar" state? That kind of doesn't make sense, but there seem to be a lot of nonsensical assumptions about NJ if this board is any indication. If that's the case, maybe that's why they picked it. There's nothing wrong with an area being largely blue collar, it's just that I thought there were a lot of technology and business jobs in NJ. (Why do I think that?)

A lot of organisations (like the ACLU) use the Statue of Liberty as a logo. Does that count as an NJ reference?

Smile

Nice one JD, I was going to say On the Waterfront! The whole movie is set in NJ, or at least the main character is New Jerseyan. I haven't seen the movie. I'd like to watch it though, maybe my roommate and I will watch it after our Rocky marathon.

I looked up On the Waterfront because of the great line, "I coulda been somebody. I coulda been a contender."

. . .

There's nothing wrong with an area being largely blue collar, it's just that I thought there were a lot of technology and business jobs in NJ. (Why do I think that?)
    The route 1 corridor between trenton and new brunswick has a high concentration of pharmaceutical and technology jobs.

I think, IIRC, that NJ was a big manufacturing state at one time.

On the Waterfront (1954) also stars Eva Marie Saint and Karl Malden.

Eva is listed as being born in NJ on 04-JULY-1924.

I have scene the Amitiville (sp?) Horror house. (from the outside.) It is amazing what can be done on film.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Default BREWSTERS MILLIONS

If my memory is correct didn't Richard Pryor try to spend the money he needed to by running for Mayor of Hackensak New Jersey?
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Jersey References

There is the movie Jersey Girl with Ben Affleck, Jennifer Lopez, and George Carlin, set in Highlands Township.

Then the TV movie, Blind Faith with Robert Urich and Joanna Kerns, about the real life murder of a Toms River woman, Maria Marshall. Ironically, while the Amityville Horror, set in Long Island, was filmed in Toms River, Blind Faith, which was set in Toms River, was filmed in California!

Edited to add one I forgot: Copland, with Sylvester Stallone. Though set in a fictional town called Garrison, it was obviously meant to be Fort Lee or Cliffside Park. Stallone was very typical of a New Jersey Italian guy (in fact, I've seen guys that look like him in pizzerias many times) but the writers did not understand law enforcement in New Jersey. Even Upper Saddle River in 1958 had a four-man police department. I am sure Fort Lee and Cliffside Park have departments of at least 20 officers each. And the "sheriff" (which was Stallone's title in the movie) is a politician responsible for the entire county police department, which probably numbers 200-300 officers. The screen writer was probably from New York. They think all towns in New Jersey are like Mayberry RFD!
    Last edited by Jersey Warren; 04-21-2006 at 10:42 AM. Reason: New info

Recent Resident

See any movie filmed by Kevin Smith. Clerks, Mallrats, and Chasing Amy were dubbed his "Jersey Trilogy". All were great flicks.

No mention of our superhero The Toxic Avenger now that was a funny movie and befitting of our great state.