Thread: Kolchak, the Night Stalker

New Jerseyan

Default Kolchak, the Night Stalker

Just wondering if anyone has anything to say about the new Kolchak show. I was a big fan of the original when I was a kid (as cheesy as it was) but haven't been able to catch the new one yet.

Regards,
    Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I haven't heard of this show, not even the older one. What channel is it on and what's it about? I'm looking for more of an answer than "it's about a night stalker"
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I haven't heard of this show, not even the older one. What channel is it on and what's it about? I'm looking for more of an answer than "it's about a night stalker"
    I'm not sure what channel the new one is on (I know it's on Thursdays because that's the night I have band rehearsal which is why I never catch it). The original series aired back in the mid 70s and starred Darren McGavin (he was also the dad in the movie "A Christmas Story" (aka "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out").

He played Kolchak, a newspaper reporter who wrote about the paranormal. He'd get involved with investigating all sorts of creatures and creepy stuff. It was scary (probably because I was 11) and a bit comedic because he was kind of a goof and would always get in trouble with his boss for sticking his nose where it didn't belong.

Regards,
    Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Here is a webssite with some info

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0460665/
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    I'm not sure what channel the new one is on (I know it's on Thursdays because that's the night I have band rehearsal which is why I never catch it). The original series aired back in the mid 70s and starred Darren McGavin (he was also the dad in the movie "A Christmas Story" (aka "You'll Shoot Your Eye Out").

He played Kolchak, a newspaper reporter who wrote about the paranormal. He'd get involved with investigating all sorts of creatures and creepy stuff. It was scary (probably because I was 11) and a bit comedic because he was kind of a goof and would always get in trouble with his boss for sticking his nose where it didn't belong.

Regards,
    Debbie
    The show (IMO) had a feel of a more grown-up scooby-do except that there usually were no people with masks at the end of the show. (ie a monster or supernatural event of the week, though it was usually done with plenty tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic humor.)

Sci-Fi channel sometimes runs an all-day (8am-4pm) marathon of Kolchak.

I do not know if the new version has a different story line/premise than the 70s series.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    The show (IMO) had a feel of a more grown-up scooby-do except that there usually were no people with masks at the end of the show. (ie a monster or supernatural event of the week, though it was usually done with plenty tongue-in-cheek and sarcastic humor.)

Sci-Fi channel sometimes runs an all-day (8am-4pm) marathon of Kolchak.

I do not know if the new version has a different story line/premise than the 70s series.
    I would say your "grown-up Scooby Doo" analogy is right on the money : )
    Speaking of Sci-Fi channel marathons, is anyone into watching the Twilight Zone marathon they run on New Year's Eve?

Regards,
    Debbie

im a Twilight Zone Junkie
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    I would say your "grown-up Scooby Doo" analogy is right on the money : )
    Speaking of Sci-Fi channel marathons, is anyone into watching the Twilight Zone marathon they run on New Year's Eve?

Regards,
    Debbie
    I may watch bits and pieces, but I will not sit through and watch it from beginnig to end.

I enjoy most episodes of the Twilight Zone, but I usually do not go out of my way to watch it.

I enjoy the twists that usually goes with the Twilight Zone. The show sometimes really gets me thinking.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

Do you know how Rod Serling came up with the idea for the Twilight Zone. During World War 2 he and his troop were on the battle field. The Red Cross dropped Packages to them and one fell on his best friends Head and Killed him.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Do you know how Rod Serling came up with the idea for the Twilight Zone. During World War 2 he and his troop were on the battle field. The Red Cross dropped Packages to them and one fell on his best friends Head and Killed him.
    Sad, yet ironic. People actually kill someone they are trying to help.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony