View Poll Results: Which Song Should be the New Jersey State Song?

Voters
10. You may not vote on this poll
  • "I'm from New Jersey"

0 0%
  • "New Jersey My Home"

3 30.00%
  • "In New Jersey"

3 30.00%
  • None of the above

2 20.00%
  • New Jersey doesn't need a state song

1 10.00%
  • Late entry - "Be proud to be in New Jersey"

1 10.00%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: New Jersey State Song

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile Jersey Girl

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    I like the lyrics. That is a nice song. Well, one thing is for sure. You do not have to be from New Jersey to be a Jersey girl. lol
    Amazingingly, Jersey Girl is one of the few songs Bruce Springsteen sings that he did not write. It was written by a guy named Tom Waits, who was born in Pomona, California!

I especially enjoy a live recording of the song done at the Meadowlands wherein every time Bruce mentions Jersey, Jersey Girl or even "the Shore" the place goes absolutely WILD with screaming and applause.

Whenever I hear those parts, they give me a real sense of New Jersey pride.

On the whole, I like the lyrics, but I wish Waits hadn't included the part about "We're gonna take that little brat of yours and drop her off at your mom's." I know it's tough being a single Mom, but it gives me the impression that the child is an afterthought and comes after the mother's social life. Maybe I'm reading too much into it, as a result of my years spent as a single between marriages. It's not a "biggy" just my personal preference.

That is the version of the song that is on Bruces live 75-85 album
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

I have the Bruce Springsteen live concert record collection and didn't realize that he didn't write it. But nevertheless, every time I hear that song and hear the crowd cheer at the mentions of the Jersey Side a chill runs down my spine. I'm with you on taking out the mention of the kid as a brat and dropping her off at the woman's mom, but otherwise its an awesome song and it epitomizes New Jersey.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey song

Hi Jersey Warren, I too feel the lyrics about leaving the brat could have been omitted but otherwise the song is great. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Smile

Quote Originally Posted by NewarkDevil5
    ... every time I hear that song and hear the crowd cheer at the mentions of the Jersey Side a chill runs down my spine. .
    Exactly! Isn't that a great feeling! Doesn't it make you fell that there are least a few thousand other people who have as much pride in your native state as you do?

New Jersey Tour Guide

I do indeed feel a sense of pride in my state. I mean New Jersey ofcourse. I think I can safely say it is my state too. A sense of pride is important just as I feel it the minute my feet are on Nj soil. Marianita

Tourist

Thumbs up Be Proud To Be In New Jersey

The 3rd song nominated by the NJ State Council on the Arts as "State Song of New Jersey" is "Be Proud To Be In New Jersey." You can find out more information and hear it at www.statesongofnewjersey.com

I think this one is the best!

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I didn't actually like this song. I had heard it before. I'm sorry, but to me it sounds too much like a song from Sesame Street. Also, I never understood how "New Jersey is proud of me". I like it to a point, but I still like "In New Jersey" a lot better.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Default State Song

Well, whether you like it or not, the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, which is made up of musicians, composers, conducters and the top music professionals in the State of NJ chose Be Proud To Be In New Jersey over almost 300 choices to be in the Top 3 nominated songs.

By the way, it could do a lot worse than sounding like Sesame Street, a television show that has won 97 Emmy Awards, more than any other show in history!
    Last edited by markiac; 05-15-2006 at 04:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by markiac
    Well, whether you like it or not, the New Jersey State Council on the Arts, which is made up of musicians, composers, conducters and the top music professionals in the State of NJ chose Be Proud To Be In New Jersey over almost 300 choices to be in the Top 3 nominated songs.

By the way, it could do a lot worse than sounding like Sesame Street, a television show that has won 97 Emmy Awards, more than any other show in history!
    I'm sorry -I don't like the song. Everyone has their own tastes and it doesn't really matter to me whether the council was made up of the Vienna Boys Choir, it doesn't mean they picked a good song for our state. And actually - ti was one of three runner ups. It was not first, second or third. The legislature never got to making the final decision. Anyway, I think it should be up to the people of New Jersey, not a bunch of musicians - it's NOT their song.

As for Sesame Street having won multiple emmy awards, that again has nothing to do with whether a song is a good song to represent the state. Yeah, if I wish to have a children's song, I would choose this one. Having a state song is about having a song that makes people feel proud of the state and properly represents the state. I don't think this one matches up to the quality of "In New Jersey", You have a difference of opinion and that's fine.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

On another musical note, I haven't seen it, but someone told me that NJ tourism is using the new Bon Jovi song "Who Says You Can't Go Home" in its ads. Has anyone seen that yet?
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    On another musical note, I haven't seen it, but someone told me that NJ tourism is using the new Bon Jovi song "Who Says You Can't Go Home" in its ads. Has anyone seen that yet?
    I have. It was unveiled at the governors conference and then I have seen it on tv. It's okay. I like the song, but the pace of the images doens't necessarily fit with the song. If they were going to use the Bon Jovi song, they should have made the images more exciting and "in your face". Sort of like the Willamsburg Virginia commercial. Now that tourism commercial is one of the best I have ever seen.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I finally saw the commercial yesterday, and I agree that it's lackluster. My cover band played the song at a recent party, and it really gets people pumped up especially if you give it a rousing "Jersey introduction". People love doing the "it's alright, it's alright, it's alright" part with the band. I think the commercial unfortunately doesn't capture the excitement of the music. Seems they missed the boat.

Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    I finally saw the commercial yesterday, and I agree that it's lackluster. My cover band played the song at a recent party, and it really gets people pumped up especially if you give it a rousing "Jersey introduction". People love doing the "it's alright, it's alright, it's alright" part with the band. I think the commercial unfortunately doesn't capture the excitement of the music. Seems they missed the boat.
    As New Jersey usually does. I have no idea who determines the final commercial. But in my opinion, they took shots that weere from previous commercials and just put in a the Bon Jovi music and said "okay - that's done. Next".

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey state song

Thankyou markiac for the link to the New Jersey state song. I am checking it out in a few minutes. It is great that we now have a state song. Marianita

Recent Resident

I remember eons ago when I was in secondary school there was a song that we were told was the state song. It was adapted as part of the Tercenntenial celebration. The title was "My Garden State" It was very sing-songy and did not do Jersey justice.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey state song

Hi irishblueeyes, I too remember the state song,''Maryland My Maryland'' and felt the same way. It seems to me that the state song should be meaningful and the words carefully chosen. I suppose it is not easy selecting a Jersey song that everyone will like but ''My Garden State'' seems like a nice title. I have ordered some license plates which will read,''JRSY HRT.'' I wanted JRSY GRL but it was taken as were many others. lol. Anyway can you remember the words to that song you learned in school? It would be interesting to know. Take care. Marianita

Recent Resident

My Garden State
    I love to sing sweet songs of thee
    Lakes and mountains
    Trees and fountains join in harmony
    My Garden State
    you stand for everything thats great
    So with a song I'll praise thee
    Dear old Jersey
    My Garden State.

I think this is the chorus, but I don't remember any more of it. We sang it all the time that year, then it just faded away.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile Garden State

Hi irishblueeyes, Thankyou for the words to the Garden state song. The words are really nice. It is rather quaint but meaningful. By the way does New Jersey have a state song yet that you know of? I cannot tell you how much I miss New Jersey especially with a little grandson due in a day or so. He will be a real new Jersey person, not a wannabe like myself. lol. I sleep with the cell phone beside me and keep it with me every waking minute. Take care. Marianita

Nope - we don't have a state song yet. It's not even being discussed by the state legislature right now. They're too busy taxing us to death and covering up their numerous scandals - not to mention collecting multiple pensions (at least those who hold 2 or 3 political postitions). Most New Jerseyans see no problem with the numerous new taxes on us, but they'd consider it a complete waste of time if the legislature actually discussed and spent their time trying to give us a state song.

BTW - Wikipedia of course erroneously lists the Red Mascara song as the New Jersey state song. I still fully support "In New Jersey" for the state song though (although I see some people don't agree with me. ).

New Jersey - the only state without a state song!

New Jersey Proud!