Thread: Zach Braff's Ode to NJ on SNL

New Jerseyan

Default Zach Braff's Ode to NJ on SNL

Zach Braff used his whole Saturday Night Live monologue this past Saturday, May 19, 2007, extolling the virtues of his home state of New Jersey. It was beautiful.

Enjoy:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms-vW-2vZN0

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Hey A-Line - glad you posted this. I don't watch SNL much, every once in a while I still catch. Anyway - it's great to see Zach really promote New Jersey, although he basically limited it to northern New Jersey. I wish I had the video of when Scott Wolf was on SNL. He's a fellow New Jerseyan and when he did his monologue it was incredible. He definitely loves New Jersey.

I found the comments in the YouTube area rather funny. Some were commenting - "I don't think it was funny at all". Not all the monologues are meant to be funny though, this being one of them. All that being said - I think instead of having the Newark Liberty Tower out there or Continental Airlines Arena, he should have had the Statue of Liberty. He did mention that she is IN New Jersey which was good.

I can't remember - did he mention that WE have TWO NFL sports teams and that they are New JERSEY teams, not New York? I don't think he did.

BTW - I bought a really good book you might be interested in call "Greater New Jersey: Living in the Shadow of Gotham". I'm going to post about it - but it's basically about the complicated relationship between New Jersey, New York and to a limited extent Philadelphia. It talks about many of the things that I and all of us talk about here, such as the limited New Jersey media, the sports teams carrying NY on their uniforms, etc. According to the book - THIRTY PERCENT of the land in northern New Jersey is roadways - and you know where they all lead to and hence subsidize.

As stated - i created the thread - Great New Jersey: Living in the Shadow of Gotham
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

I actually thought the monologue was funny -- but probably mostly to New
    Jerseyans or people from northern/central New Jersey.

I don't think Zach Braff meant any disrespect to the southern part of the state by not including it. He just mentioned landmarks from around where he grew up. He is from Essex County.

And while those from outside the area might've thought he was putting down NJ by mentioning the oil refineries, the lights on Route 17 in Paramus, and the backside view of the Statue of Liberty -- I think he was actually being sincere!

He was sort of saying, yes, while most people would see a lot of that stuff as a negative, he has no problem with it ... because he is proud of being from there -- NEW JERSEY!

Add to all that, I thought the musical number was well put together!