Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Capital Cities

  1. #1
    New Jerseyan Nurvingiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    69

    Default Capital Cities

    Over in NJ team names JD and I got talking about American state capitals.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I know how to spell Portland too - that was just a mistype. I better know how to spell it since I lived there for about a year and half or so. BTW - the capital of Oregon is Salem, but it doesn't realy matter because Oregon isn't NJ.
    Hee. Burn. You really missed NJ I'm guessing.

    I know 7 capitals (capitols?):
    Oregon - Salem (not Portland, like I thought)
    Washington - Olympia (I think. I know it's not Seattle anyway)
    New York - Albany
    New Mexico - Albequerque
    Arizona - Tucson
    New Jersey - Trenton
    Hawaii - Honolulu
    Alaska - Juno (or is it Anchorage?)

    If I know Alaska then I know 8! Yay me. I know all the Canadian capitals, provinces and territory.

    Have a go at the Canadian provincial capitals JD! (You have to get BC!)

  2. #2
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    Over in NJ team names JD and I got talking about American state capitals.

    Hee. Burn. You really missed NJ I'm guessing.
    yes I did. I did like Oregon though, but not to live there. Everyone used to get tired of my constant talking about NJ. I don't know why they thought I talked about NJ too much though. Anyway wherever I was, people always said "If you love NJ so much why don't you move back there" and I would respond back, "I plan on it". And, ultimately I did.
    I know 7 capitals (capitols?):
    Oregon - Salem (not Portland, like I thought)
    Washington - Olympia (I think. I know it's not Seattle anyway)
    New York - Albany
    New Mexico - Albequerque
    Arizona - Tucson
    New Jersey - Trenton
    Hawaii - Honolulu
    Alaska - Juno (or is it Anchorage?)
    I figured you would have known California's which is Sacremento. I think Jonathan thought it was LA or San Francisco. Pennsylvania is Harrisburg.
    If I know Alaska then I know 8! Yay me. I know all the Canadian capitals, provinces and territory.

    Have a go at the Canadian provincial capitals JD! (You have to get BC!)
    I don't know if this will be right or not, but I'll try some. I was thinking Vancouver is BC, then I believe Winnipeg. I know Ottawa is the capital of Canada, but is Toronto the capital of Ontario? I think Montreal is the capital of Quebec.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  3. #3
    New Jerseyan Nurvingiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I figured you would have known California's which is Sacremento. I think Jonathan thought it was LA or San Francisco. Pennsylvania is Harrisburg.
    Nooooo I did know California, and I forgot. I just needed a refresher. My high school rugby team almost got to go to a tournament there, but the funding fell through.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I don't know if this will be right or not, but I'll try some. I was thinking Vancouver is BC, then I believe Winnipeg. I know Ottawa is the capital of Canada, but is Toronto the capital of Ontario? I think Montreal is the capital of Quebec.
    Are you suggesting Winnipeg is in BC? (It's in Manitoba! And it's the capital.)

    You have fallen into the big city = capital trap that many fall into. (As you have observed with NJ, Cali, and NY among others.) British Columbia = Victoria (just across the Georgia Strait from Vancouver)
    Toronto is the capital of Ontario. Nice one.
    Québec's capital is.... Québec City! You won't forget that one now eh?
    And you did get our nation's capital 10% correct.

    I get confused with the Maritime provinces, but let's see if I can do this...

    Nova Scotia - Fredricton (edit: Halifax!)
    Prince Edward Island - Charlottetown
    New Brunswick - St. Johns (edit: Fredricton)
    Newfoundland - St. John's

    edit: nooooooooo! Halifax! Halifax!! I can't believe I missed that! Bad Canadian! Bad. Okay, I used to be good at geography, and I used to know all the capitals.
    Last edited by Nurvingiel; 11-29-2005 at 11:43 PM.

  4. #4
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    Nooooo I did know California, and I forgot. I just needed a refresher. My high school rugby team almost got to go to a tournament there, but the funding fell through.
    Would you have gotten to go?
    Are you suggesting Winnipeg is in BC? (It's in Manitoba! And it's the capital.)
    No - I wasn't saying that Winnipeg was in BC. I just couldn't remember the Province name. I worked with someone in Portlan who was from Winnipeg.
    You have fallen into the big city = capital trap that many fall into. (As you have observed with NJ, Cali, and NY among others.) British Columbia = Victoria (just across the Georgia Strait from Vancouver)
    Toronto is the capital of Ontario. Nice one.
    Québec's capital is.... Québec City! You won't forget that one now eh?
    And you did get our nation's capital 10% correct.
    yeah I was thinking that it was actually not the large cities, other than Winnipeg and Toronto (although not sure if Winnipeg can actually be described as big, but in terms of other cities in Manitoba it is.) But hey, it's ONLY Canada, it's not like anyone really cares about the capitals there. You know I'm only joking of course.
    I get confused with the Maritime provinces, but let's see if I can do this...

    Nova Scotia - Fredricton
    Prince Edward Island - Charlottetown
    New Brunswick - St. Johns
    Newfoundland - St. John's
    I didn't even want to attempt those. I had no idea what the Maritime Provinces would be.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  5. #5
    New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2004
    Location
    Toms River NJ (Jersey Shore)
    Posts
    1,551

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nurvingiel
    I get confused with the Maritime provinces, but let's see if I can do this...

    Nova Scotia - Fredricton (edit: Halifax!)
    Prince Edward Island - Charlottetown
    New Brunswick - St. Johns (edit: Fredricton)
    Newfoundland - St. John's

    edit: nooooooooo! Halifax! Halifax!! I can't believe I missed that! Bad Canadian! Bad. Okay, I used to be good at geography, and I used to know all the capitals.
    As I said in the NJ Team Names thread - "and you call yourself a Canadian". NOw I think the mounties are on their way to ship you out the country. First not knowing which Candian hockey team played the Devils in Stanley Cup playoffs and now with messing up on Halifax. You have had your citizenship revoked.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

    Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

    AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook


    New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!


  6. #6
    New Jerseyan Nurvingiel's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Location
    Canada
    Posts
    69

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Would you have gotten to go?
    Had we been able to raise enough money, yes, we would have gone to Sacramento.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    No - I wasn't saying that Winnipeg was in BC. I just couldn't remember the Province name. I worked with someone in Portlan who was from Winnipeg.
    You had me worried there for a second. But it's all good now.
    You just can't spell Portland can you?

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    yeah I was thinking that it was actually not the large cities, other than Winnipeg and Toronto (although not sure if Winnipeg can actually be described as big, but in terms of other cities in Manitoba it is.) But hey, it's ONLY Canada, it's not like anyone really cares about the capitals there. You know I'm only joking of course.
    You know I'm joking when I say NJ is like the NY annex! Oh, joking! Hehe.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I didn't even want to attempt those. I had no idea what the Maritime Provinces would be.
    See, at least I tried. But I don't blame you, even though you are closer to the Maritimes than I am.

    Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    As I said in the NJ Team Names thread - "and you call yourself a Canadian". NOw I think the mounties are on their way to ship you out the country. First not knowing which Candian hockey team played the Devils in Stanley Cup playoffs and now with messing up on Halifax. You have had your citizenship revoked.
    Well, I guess I'll just have to move to New Jersey now.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •