Thread: Most memoriable vacations

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default Most memoriable vacations

I was just wondering what people's best vacations, or most memoriable, most exciiting, strange, whatever you want have been.

I know this is a New Jersey travel site, but that doesn't mean that I don't travel to other places and anyway - when I travel around NJ, I don't consider it a vacation, since I live here.

I've been to 40 states, lived in 6 of them, been to Canada, Enlgand and Mexico and been to Walt Disney World about 9 times. I'll go into some of my experience soon, but I thought I'd just get this started first.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

My most memorable vacation was to France in the early 1990s. Spent a few days in an unseasonably cold and rainy Paris and hated it. To boot, our agent was supposed to have put us in a cozy hotel in a quaint section of the city, but instead stuck us in a huge, modern hotel on the outskirts.

We decided to escape after two days and took the train down to the countryside of the Cognac region, and the rest of the trip was absolutely wonderful. Fields of sunflowers and grapes...lovely small towns...old men in berets who offered us homemade wine...wonderful outdoor markets with hundreds of cheeses we'd never heard of before.

When it was time to go back, we rented a car and drove back to Paris through the beautiful Loire Valley, visiting incredible chateaus along the way. I was in such a good mood by the time we got back, I was actually able to enjoy Paris the last day we were there.

Regards,
    Debbie
    If you're a Jersey musician, please check out my Yahoo! Group, NJ Musician's Network...where you can meet and network with other NJ musicians. Sign up is easy (and free) http://groups.yahoo.com/group/njmusiciansnet/

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default Mexico Trip

Hi Jersey Devil, I would have to say my most unforgettable trip was the month I spent in Mexico. I was in Leon Guanajuato most of the time, Mazatlan, Guadalajara, many places actually. I do speak fluent Spanish which only made it all the better. I loved Mexico and have many memories of the wonderful people there. I am Norwegian but have forgotton most of it and Spanish is more useful around these parts. lol. Anyway we rode horses on the beach of Mazatlan and a boat and climbed a mountain to see ''Christo Rey.'' It did not take me long to learn how to use the pesos as our money was not used that far into Mexico. Very interesting and fun. Marianita

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    I am Norwegian but have forgotton most of it and Spanish is more useful around these parts. lol.
    Were you born in Norway? I want to go to Sweden so badly. Never really thought much about the Scandanavian countries, but then I became really god friends with someone online from Sweden. I'm hoping he will finally make it out here so I can show him around and I'm supposed to go out there. I find that Swedes are far more reserved and in some ways less open. He was concerned about coming out because he "didn't want to impose" on me. I love showing people around - so in no way would he be imposing. I think he finally realizes it though and has no problem now, just a matter of when.
    I would have to say my most unforgettable trip was the month I spent in Mexico. I was in Leon Guanajuato most of the time, Mazatlan, Guadalajara, many places actually. I do speak fluent Spanish which only made it all the better. I loved Mexico and have many memories of the wonderful people there. Anyway we rode horses on the beach of Mazatlan and a boat and climbed a mountain to see ''Christo Rey.'' It did not take me long to learn how to use the pesos as our money was not used that far into Mexico. Very interesting and fun.
    Used to go to Tijuana when I was little - we lived in San Diego. BUt I don't remember it. The one time my father was going to England on a business trip, I was going to canada to visit a friend, so my mother decided to take my brother and sister to Cancun. She absolutely loved it. We were all supposed to go as a family, but then my mother died unexpectedly of a catastrophic heart attack, so we never went. I would like to go though. I love to travel - even outside of NJ. There are some people who think that I truly only care about NJ. If that was the case, I wouldn't be so much into meeting people from all over the world and talking to so many people about what their lives are like where they live.

I've had e-mail pals and online friends from Lithuania, Russia, Israel, Australia, Sweden, Britain, Itay, India, Canada. I just love learning about other cultures and their lives. I told Jonathan, my friend from Sweden, I just want to do things that he enjoys doing and do things that he does every day. I of course want to do some "tourist" things, like see the royal palace and go to some museums in Stockholm, but then also I just want to go to Burger King (which he goes to) and go to the movies, and just do everyday things.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default memorable trips

Hi Jersey Devil, My parents were born in Norway but I was born in Cheverly, Maryland. It is funny how I learned Spanish. I just picked it up over the years. I have a facility for different languages. I worked at a place for 2 years where they spoke German and I could speak alot of it . Anyway as regards the Swede, he would probably have a wonderful time in New Jersey. Swedes seem to be more reserved then Norwegains but there is not a whole lot of difference. We Norskies have redder cheeks. lol. I used to be more reserved then I am now. I have been to Tiajuana. We flew there from Mazatlan and my daughter picked us up. I have not been to Cancun but would like to go. However I prefer my vacations to be to New Jersey. I get a month a year for vacations. You cannot imagine how much I miss my son, daughter and my little granddaughter. They came here for Christmas and New Years. I prefer NJ to anywhere else but like you I like to visit many places. New York was tremendously exciting. Atlantic City was fun too. lol. Take care. Marianita PS. Ask your Swedish friend if they have annual lutefisk dinners. See what he says. Lutefisk is a fish cured in potash lye and every year the Scandinavians have it with boiled potatoes and cranberries.

Tourist

I remember a vacation,we went on,when the children were only 5--4--and 2 years of age.Left on a Friday for a week of fun to the mountains,to do a little fishing and relaxing.I had a cj 5 jeep back then,which i pulled a 6 foot trailer with.We purchased a 12 foot by 9 foot Army Tent made of Canvas.It was a heavy tent,but we really liked it as it didn't let the wind or rain in no matter how hard the weather tried.I made a propane stove out of a kitchen stove and built a stand for it.Packed the 2 year olds play pen with a few toys. The girls took their dolls along .Had a weeks worth of food,frying pans,eating utensils, a bath Aluminum bath tub.All the rest of the essentials for living and away we went.The trip to Strawberry Lake was close to 120 miles from the house.About four hours long.Well we got to the turn off,which was a rocky trail made for 4wheel drives and I stopped to put the jeep in 4 wheel drive.Took off up the trail to the lake which was 3 miles further.The kids were now getting anxious and tired as you can imagine.We got to within 1/4 mile from the camp spot when in front of us was a 3 foot snow bank to get through.I shifted the jeep into low and tried to break a trail through,but the snow wasn't packed hard enough to stay on top.Now I had to get out the shovel and start scooping a road through.This took me a good hour plus.Got back into the jeep and headed on the rest of the way,praying that we would not encounter any more obstacles.As it was we were lucky and made it to the lake.I was tired,but had to get the camp set up before dark.Got it all set up and cooked dinner for all.We were the only people at the lake for 7 days,except for 2 fishermen who hiked in for a few hours.That week we caught 60 brook trout.Didn't need a freezer as we had a snow bank about 4 feet high by camp and I just made a mail box hole back in it ,put the fish in and covered them up with snow.They froze up real good.The kids had a real good time as well playing in the snow and the boy played in his crib inside the tent.We have been on many camping trips like this one and always had alot of fun as a family.As you can read,it doesn't matter how old your children are to take camping,but it does matter how old they are to go hiking.I found that out the hard way,but that's another story.These are the things parents need to do with their children to learn them the basics of life,getting along with others and survival traits.Thank you for reading and I wll be back again with more tales from the trail.