Thread: New Jersey History

New Jerseyan

Default New Jersey History

The History channel is doing a 10 part series called "The States" and it is on tonight May 12 , and one of the featured states tonight is good old New Jersey. They will be discussing our states history, culture, etc.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

I was going to post about this. I saw it. I'm wondering what you thought of it. I think there was a bit more they could have said - of course. I hate that again in the beginning New Jersey was being defined by New York and Philadelphia - but they did show a lot of New Jersey that people didn't know about. They didn't really show the mountain region though or the pine barrens.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

New Jerseyan

I thought it was good and the n.y./ philly thing didn't bother me ( I knew this was about N.J. so I was able to ignore the n.y./ philly thing). Don't get me wrong I also hate, with a PASSION, having those two cities shoved down my throat all the time! Alot of the things mentioned I knew about or atleast had some knowledge of. The one problem I have with it is the only time it is repeated is early in the morning so I have not been able to see all of the episodes I missed. I may end up buying it on DVD but then I would wear the Jersey part out (If that's possible).
    Last edited by NJPRIDE; 06-13-2007 at 09:02 PM.
    NEW JERSEY HISTORY SECOND TO NONE !

New Jerseyan

Just spent a long weekend at the shore (Cape May) and always try to check in with the local papers, local radio shows & happenings etc - heard some talk about 2 celebrations for "Richard Somers Day" early in the month. Richard Somers was a war hero who fought the Berbers in the early 1800s - pretty dramatic character with lots of parallels to todays young soldiers - makes me think that we have some great NJ history if only they would devote some time to it in the schools. In some states the kids have one year of high school history devoted to their states history.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NJBarb
    Just spent a long weekend at the shore (Cape May) and always try to check in with the local papers, local radio shows & happenings etc - heard some talk about 2 celebrations for "Richard Somers Day" early in the month. Richard Somers was a war hero who fought the Berbers in the early 1800s - pretty dramatic character with lots of parallels to todays young soldiers - makes me think that we have some great NJ history if only they would devote some time to it in the schools. In some states the kids have one year of high school history devoted to their states history.
    Yeah I know. Here we have to settle for 1 year in fourth grade. Anyone that remembers 4th grade would know that it's very superficial and doesn't go into any depth. Until recently however there was NO study of NJ history. I do think that NJ History and politics should be a required course in high school not relegated to the whitewash you get in 4th grade.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!