Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
The misrepresentation of the NJ State Flag

Thread: The misrepresentation of the NJ State Flag

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default The misrepresentation of the NJ State Flag

As I talk about on the State Symbols and Flag page, New Jersey's flag is mostly misrepresented on the web. I went on Amazon yesterday to set up the "online NJ bookstore" and I was surfing around and there was a link for buying a NJ flag. So I went there and again - an erroneous depiction of the state flag. How can I buy a flag off of the web when so many are shown to be brown or orange? Why is it so difficult for these companies to provide a web image that actually shows what the flag will look like when you receive it? I e-mailed this person who was selling them off of Amazon and she responded that she gets her flags from the largest flag manuafuturer which is locted in NJ (Roseland to be exact, I looked it up) and that for them to depict the NJ flag wrong is "rather remote" Well I went to their site and again, whether they are from NJ or not, have an erroneous depiction of the NJ state flag on Catalog Pg 17

I plan on writing a letter to the state government and find out if there is any specified colors for the NJ state flag. When a company has a logo - they usually define everything in PMS colors, everything is defined right down to the proper dimensions. Generally with the "real NJ flags" the difference isn't so much in the background color - but the coloration of the goddesses robes. I've seen them with various colored robes. The only background I have seen on a real NJ flag is the very pale yellow. When it comes to NJ flag images on the web, the coloration is all over the map.

Here are ways that the NJ flag is misrepresented by sites which you would think would make sure they get it right since they are generally respected as being accurate. Well when it comes to the depiction of the NJ flag, they are dead wrong!!!

Britannica

InfoPlease.com

Then there is OUR flag we use for AboutNewJersey.com. This is as accurate as I could make it, with a photo of an ACTUAL flag blowing in the breeze.

Now in what way do those flags on Brittanica and InfoPlease even look like the NJ flag?

Are there any other erroneous depictions that people have seen on the web and how to do we combat this so people know what the REAL NJ flag looks like?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Now in what way do those flags on Brittanica and InfoPlease even look like the NJ flag?

Are there any other erroneous depictions that people have seen on the web and how to do we combat this so people know what the REAL NJ flag looks like?
    They are both rectangular in shape and have the same logo (with different degrees of clarity).

I think what you are doing is a start. Let the owners of the website be aware of the error on their site. If they are responsible they will make the appropriate corrections. If not then they are irresponsible.

Besides that, I am not sure what else can be done.

Everyone should know that just because it is on a website does not make something any more accurate.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together