Thread: New Jersey TV Network Stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc)

Default New Jersey TV Network Stations (ABC, NBC, CBS, etc)

It's been debated on several occassions in my personal discussions, I know. But should NJ get more in the way of Network TV? I say why not? Why should we have to rely on that NYC And philly Garbage for our news?

Don't get me wrong, NJN is great, but the limitations of public Television do not make it the greatest.

News 12, I once spoke to a camera man who told me that they dont usually come into Ocean County because its too far south?! And their Meteoroloigsts NEVER forecast for anything below Ocean County! In that Pinpoint forecast segement, they never go below Tuckerton, as if NJ ended @ Tuckerton!

I remember once there was some form of a weather advisory from Atlantic County Southward, and James Gegiorio (I believe it was him) actually said, "Well, South of our veiwing area in Atlantic County..", and when was the last time they actaully covered a story in South Jersey? They RARELY do. I understand its not easy, but then why not call themselves "News 12 North Jersey!"

New Jersey needs a cable network to cover the whole state. Not the execuse of an NBC station in Atlantic City, but from tip to tip, coast to coast, Coverage of the state. I think it has been needed for a long time. That or more localized NJ Coverage.. Maybe 2 NBC stations in the sate? Is that too much to ask for? I don't think so. The NY markets and Philly Markets will survive just fine without NJ viewers their population is so large anyway.

Just my opinion, even thought it will never happen.
    Last edited by Radiojoe315; 11-12-2005 at 07:42 PM.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Well agree with you on all counts. I've stopped watching News 12 New Jersey, unless there is something major going on - like the elections - then I'll watch them a bit to see how they're covering it. However, News 12 doesn't really cover political news very often and it seems to be mostly meaningless fluff news. Out of frustration, I have basically completely eliminated my News 12 New Jersey viewing. I do watch NJN, but that's rather limited too and only have the one news program a day in contrast with Channel 7 Eyewitnss news - which has the morning news, the form 5:00 - 6:00pm and then 6:00-6:30pm and then the nightly news at 11:00-11:30pm. We get one station that has a measely half hour news program trying to cover the entire state.

As for us getting our own network stations - the FCC controls that - they have determined - mostly through the complaints from NY - that we can't have our own stations because we are within the limits of Philadelphia and NY. I say screw it - I say we figure out someway to have our own network news. There is such a great loss to state identity by having to watch the NY and Philly stations. Our politicians have to spend millions and millions to get their ads out - because they have to carry them in two of the most expensive tv markets in America in order to cover NJ. Then when they advertise on NY stations - 2/3rd is wasted ad space - because it doesn't matter to Connecticut or New Yorkers. With Philadelphia - over half of the ad is watched by people who don't care and it doesn't affect. It's ridiculous.

When things happen in NJ - we have to hear it from the standpoint of foreigners who can care less about what goes on NJ. Ms of what s covered on NY news about NJ is if their is a murder or something. Nothing is every said about any great events that are taking place in NJ or any of our great attractions. It's basically like trying to get American news from European stations. Very little US news is covered on European stations and when it is - they show it from their standpoint and bias of course.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

I have had the final straw with the Red Bulls fiasco and the state rolling over and letting them use NY on their uniforms. I'm fed up with NJ being a split state with "south" Jersey and "north" Jersey. I finally called the FCC and asked them if there were any regulations regarding between network affiliates. They said NO. That there is nothing in the FCC regulations that would prevent an NBC, CBS, ABC, etc from operating in Trenton and covering the state. Before calling them, I wanted to see if Delaware or Connecticut have their own networks and wouldn't you it - but amazingly they do.

So now it is time to somehow get some movement to get some networks in NJ - that cover NJ. I figure the southern New Jersey can get Philadelphia and New Jersey stations and northern NJ can get New York and New Jersey stations. It would be no different than what is done now in my area, which is get BOTH NY and Philadelpia stations. However, instead the Nj affiliates would cover what is happening in NJ, in our government, in regards to special events, attractions, it would be dedicated to New Jersey.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

I'd love to see a full cast of NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS networks run out of Newark and Vineland or Camden. Newark also needs another newspaper to compete with the Star-Ledger as well as news radio to cover the city and its surrounding area. As it stands New Jersey is a black hole for news.

Quote Originally Posted by NewarkDevil5
    I'd love to see a full cast of NBC, ABC, CBS and PBS networks run out of Newark and Vineland or Camden. Newark also needs another newspaper to compete with the Star-Ledger as well as news radio to cover the city and its surrounding area. As it stands New Jersey is a black hole for news.
    It is a complete blackhole, unless you only care about NY or Philadelphia news. I do watch NJN, and they're good, but they're not network and most New Jerseyans don't watch it. Also, there is only one broadcast a day, whereas networks do several during the day and evening. NY ABC has from 5:00-6:30, then 11:00 - 11:30pm, not to mention the morning news. That is really the type of news coverage NJ should have and deserve. Hell, we're not even just a city, where a whole state!

New Jersey Proud!

Well I discovered that there is an organization that fights for a NJ centric television media market in New Jersey - Voice for New Jersey. They were covered in the Princeton Packet - Dec 4, 2007. I've joined their organization, which seems to be free. The problem is that there seems to be no way of contacting the organization directly and when I received my registration confirmation e-mail - it was blank.

Anyway - here is a bit about the group - which I have been arguing about for years.

Voice for New Jersey is an affiliation of individuals and organizations who are dedicated to improving broadcast media coverage in New Jersey. The organization was founded by the Alumni of Leadership New Jersey Class of 2006. Our goal is to increase media attention on New Jersey and improve the quality of the media coverage that NJ receives.

New Jersey is one of only two states that does not have a (VHF) network affiliate. Coverage of the state is divided between the New York and Philadelphia media markets. As a result, New Jersey suffers from:

> Lack of State Identity
    > Little Examination of Elected Officials
    > Limited Community awareness

The Case for Improved Media Coverage

There are nearly nine million million people residing in New Jersey. This makes New Jersey by far the largest media market lacking a dedicated (VHF) network affiliate– in fact, there is only one other state in the country without a network affiliate to call its own. Our lack of dedicated coverage means that residents of towns as large as 100,000 people are frequently unaware of what takes place in Trenton– or across the street in their own communities.

Other Facts Supporting the Need for Improved Media Coverage in New Jersey:

• New Jersey has the second highest per capita income in the nation.

• New Jersey is the most demographically diverse state in the nation as measured by race and country of origin.

• Vermont, the nation’s second smallest state (by population) has TWO network affiliates. White River Junction, population 2,600, is home to the NBC affiliate. Of New Jersey’s 566 municipalities, 466 have more people than White River Junction.

• The state of North Dakota ranks 48th in population,yet is home to NINE network affiliates. Fargo, the largest city, has 97,000 people and three affiliates. Six New Jersey municipalities are larger than Fargo, and yet New Jersey has NO network affiliates.

• With over 8.5 million people, North Carolina is approximately equal to New Jersey in population. However, North Carolina has 21 network affiliates, including four in Charlotte. NBC, ABC, CBS, and FOX all have stations in Charlotte.

• The City of Newark, New Jersey has more than twice the populations of Burlington, Vermont, and Fargo, North Dakota COMBINED. Nonetheless, New Jerseyans still must watch news broadcasts targeted to Philadelphia or New York because we have NO network affiliates.

• If separated from the New York and Philadelphia television markets, New Jersey would be the fourth largest market in the nation. New York would fall from number one to number two (behind Los Angeles). Philadelphia would fall from number four to number twelve.
    I really need to find out more about them.

[edit]
    When I went to forward my registration e-mail to the developer of the website, it did display the text. Anyway - here is what I received...

Dear Robert:

Welcome to Voice for New Jersey. We are very glad to have you join us.

We are presently at work on a number of initiatives to promote better broadcast media coverage in New Jersey. These efforts include direct advocacy with political leaders, broadcasters, and the Federal Communications Commission.

Many of these efforts require broad-based demonstrations of support from our
    members and friends to be truly effective. This support can take the form of
    appearance at public hearings, or targeted letter-writing and email campaigns.

If you have not already done so, please take a look at our website and weblog at http://www.voicenj.com. The website contains links to send emails and download letters of support to make it easy for you to be heard. Up to date information on current happenings can be found in the Current Events section of the weblog.

Posting and commenting on the weblog is encouraged. To post, you must first
    this, please send your request to us at membership@voicenj.com.

Thanks again for joining Voice for New Jersey!

Sincerely,

The Voice for New Jersey Membership Team

New Jersey Proud!

BTW - here is the editorial as it appeared in the Princeton Packet on December 4, 2007.

EDITORIAL: NJ TV viewers deserve more from WWOR
    Tuesday, December 4, 2007 1:12 AM EST
    The Princeton Packet

Back in the day when Benjamin Franklin described New Jersey as “a valley of humility between two mountains of conceit,” he had no inkling of how perfectly that description would one day apply to media coverage of the Garden State.

Not the print media, mind you. Newspapers were already abundant in the 18th century and still cover New Jersey pretty thoroughly today, with 19 dailies and more than 160 weeklies keeping a watchful eye on the issues and events shaping our state. The electronic media, however, didn’t exist back in Colonial times. Today, they are dominant — and their attention rarely extends beyond the boundaries of those two “mountains of conceit.”

The lack of television coverage of New Jersey has been lamented almost from the moment the TV was invented (ironically, in New Jersey) back in the 1940s. Network affiliates were anchored in New York and Philadelphia, soon joined by a handful of independent stations, none of which paid the remotest attention to news happening across the Hudson or the Delaware.

Public television stepped in to fill the void, with Channel 13 setting up shop in Newark and New Jersey Network establishing UHF channels that theoretically reached every household in the state. But few people watched these channels, and the absence of a commercial station became a major irritant to people concerned about New Jerseyans’ relative lack of knowledge about the goings-on in their state.

Enter Bill Bradley. In 1982, the then-U.S. senator sponsored a bill that compelled any commercial television licensee convicted of violating federal election laws to move to a state that did not have a commercial VHF station. The only licensee to which this law applied was WOR-TV, Channel 9 in New York. (The corporate owner, General Tire and Rubber Co., had made illegal contributions to the Nixon campaign.) The only state to which the new law applied was New Jersey.And so it came to pass that Channel 9 became WWOR-TV, and moved to Secaucus. In the 25 years since then, according to a grassroots coalition of New Jersey citizens challenging the station’s license renewal, it has paid little more than lip service to its adopted state.

The challengers, who call themselves Voice for New Jersey, cite WWOR-TV’s own data, which show that from 1999 to 2006, the station broadcast an average of 170 news stories about New Jersey per year — or less than one story every two days. In 2006, public affairs programming devoted to the Garden State averaged less than 90 minutes a month. In 2005, the station ran a total of nine news stories on the New Jersey governor’s race — seven of them in the final week of the campaign.

The Federal Communications Commission, the agency responsible for issuing and renewing broadcast licenses, offered the following guidance when it approved WWOR-TV’s move to New Jersey: “We expect (WWOR-TV) to perform a higher degree of service to its Grade B coverage area (Northern New Jersey) than is normally required of a broadcast licensee. At renewal time, (WWOR-TV) will be judged by how it has met the obligation to serve the greater service needs of Northern New Jersey, which we view as broader than the specific needs of Secaucus.”

It’s now renewal time — and Voice for New Jersey thinks it’s pretty clear that WWOR-TV has failed to meet the FCC’s expectations, let alone the needs and interests of New Jersey viewers. We agree. We wish the group well in its quest to bring meaningful commercial television coverage to our state.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Default Very interesting

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil View Post
    New Jersey is one of only two states that does not have a (VHF) network affiliate.
    That is a shocking fact. I wonder what is the only other state without a major network affiliate.