Thread: Jungle Habitat.

Recent Resident

Default Jungle Habitat.

Greetings Programs.

I don't see anything about Jungle Habitat here. C'mon it was big and before Great Adventure so somebody has to remember something...

M

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mte1961
    Greetings Programs.

I don't see anything about Jungle Habitat here. C'mon it was big and before Great Adventure so somebody has to remember something...
    When was this around? I don't remember anything about it. I do remember going to Turtle Back Zoo- I always loved that place because we could pet the animals.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

Default Jungle Habitat

Hey

Jungle Habitat was a Warner Brothers Theme Park in West Milford. It was built around 1972 and shut down only a few years after.

It was also a drive through safari.

I remember being there once and the monkeys on the car and being scared to death when lions were walking next to the car and some other strange memories which I will post later.

I also remember headlines about a guy getting attacked by lions later that summer and my mother deciding we would not be going back there.

Sadly I have no pictures though.

Mark

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by mte1961
    Greetings Programs.

M
    I remember Jungle Habitat very well. I guess I went there when I was maybe 8 years old or so...by the time I was 11, Great Adventure had taken over. The best part about JH was the elephant and camel rides which I did every time we went there.

Debbie
    SunDog

I went there a couple of times when I was a kid. I heard they did not care very well for the animals and that was part of the problem. Here is a wb site for it. http://www.song3.com/jungle_habitat_...__amazing_.htm
    Last edited by davegering; 11-15-2005 at 02:44 PM.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

Tourist

Default Jungle Habitat

Hey,

I know a lot about the infamous safari park . I grew up in the area and have also done extensive research on the topic. I have also revisited the "remains" several times.

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maz
    Hey,

I know a lot about the infamous safari park . I grew up in the area and have also done extensive research on the topic. I have also revisited the "remains" several times.
    Welcome to the board Maz. So what kind of things can you tell us about the park? Also, do you have any photos of the ruins?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Tourist

Default Jungle Habitat

Greetings,

The Warner Brothers sponsored safari park operated from the Summer of 1972 to October of 1976. The 1000 acre theme park was (and is) located off Marshall Hill Road in West Milford. The main entrance is situated next to the the West Milford airport. During the park's short lived existence, the airport itself changed it's name to Nairobi Airport to correspond with the Jungle Habitat. The airport went as far as to paint many of it's aircraft in black and white zebra stripes. Jungle Habitat included a petting zoo, camel and elephant rides, snack bars, gift shop, reptile house, dolphin show, a small station and ride on train called Jungle Junction (the tracks still exists) and of course the drive through safari (available at an addition price). The park was pretty much doomed from the beginning, opening day brought with it mile long traffic jams, overheated cars and disgruntled patrons. The traffic issues would continue to be a problem until the park's closing. Though West Milford is accessible by major highways the park itself is located off some smaller side roads. Roads not designed to handle the influx that the park brought. This would ultimately contribute to the park's demise. Over it's few years trouble continued for the park. Many park goers complained of damage sustained by animals during their trip through the safari. Jungle Habitat claimed no responsibility for car damage. Several signs along the drive thru reminded patrons to proceed at their own risk. Drivers were also not permitted to run air conditioning during the drive in fear that the sound might frighten or agitate the animals. Imagine having to drive 40 plus minutes in the summer with your windows rolled up and air conditioner turned off. Jungle Habitat's biggest downfall came with the opening of Six Flags Great Adventure in 1974 in Jackson, NJ. Great Adventure offered everything that Habitat did, but much more. In attempts to compete, the owners of Habitat applied to the town for permits to construct amusement park style rides. The town quickly turned down the application citing it would cause even more traffic issues. The combination of mismanagement and loss of business forced JH to close it's doors in October of 1976.

Tourist

Anyone have a link to what this place is about? I am visiting NJ for a trip with some friends and want to check EVERYTHING out.

Tourist

Here are a couple....

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jungle_Habitat

http://www.abandonedbutnotforgotten....le_habitat.htm

I live in West Milford and visit the site often. There is not much left, but if you do look around you can find some very interesting stuff.

Have fun

Dad had a home movie from when it was open. There's a picture link in the description.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DfPGn-wC8sQ

New Jerseyan

Thanks everyone for posting those links. I like reading about stuff like that. Especially as it relates to places I've been. All I remember is going there on a class trip in first or second grade. I took home a styrofoam safari hat that said Jungle Habitat.

Tourist

This is a very great and an informative post and most of the readers can definitely get very knowledge out of this thread which is written downwards.

The Warner Brothers sponsored safari park operated from the Summer of 1972 to October of 1976. The 1000 acre theme park was (and is) located off Marshall Hill Road in West Milford. The main entrance is situated next to the the West Milford airport. During the park's short lived existence, the airport itself changed it's name to Nairobi Airport to correspond with the Jungle Habitat. The airport went as far as to paint many of it's aircraft in black and white zebra stripes. Jungle Habitat included a petting zoo, camel and elephant rides, snack bars, gift shop, reptile house, dolphin show, a small station and ride on train called Jungle Junction (the tracks still exists) and of course the drive through safari (available at an addition price). The park was pretty much doomed from the beginning, opening day brought with it mile long traffic jams, overheated cars and disgruntled patrons. The traffic issues would continue to be a problem until the park's closing. Though West Milford is accessible by major highways the park itself is located off some smaller side roads. Roads not designed to handle the influx that the park brought. This would ultimately contribute to the park's demise. Over it's few years trouble continued for the park. Many park goers complained of damage sustained by animals during their trip through the safari. Jungle Habitat claimed no responsibility for car damage. Several signs along the drive thru reminded patrons to proceed at their own risk. Drivers were also not permitted to run air conditioning during the drive in fear that the sound might frighten or agitate the animals. Imagine having to drive 40 plus minutes in the summer with your windows rolled up and air conditioner turned off. Jungle Habitat's biggest downfall came with the opening of Six Flags Great Adventure in 1974 in Jackson, NJ. Great Adventure offered everything that Habitat did, but much more. In attempts to compete, the owners of Habitat applied to the town for permits to construct amusement park style rides. The town quickly turned down the application citing it would cause even more traffic issues. The combination of mismanagement and loss of business forced JH to close it's doors in October of 1976.