• New Jerseyan

8 80.00%
  • New Jerseyite

2 20.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Jerseyan or New Jerseyite

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default New Jerseyan or New Jerseyite

This thread came about because of the Geico commericial. I can not stand the term Jerseyite - it grates on my nerves. My mother felt the same way and I asked several other people also and they hate the term.

Geico currently has a radio commercial which always plays on WPST, I'm sure it plays on other stations too. The commercial highlights many of the state symbols, but then ends with the ridiculous name for citizens of New Jersey - "Jerseyites" instead of the proper name "New Jerseyans". The only people I have ever heard use Jerseyites are New Yorkers. New Jerseyan is the norm and what others New Jerseyans seem to prefer.

Here is my letter I just sent to Geico....

I just wanted to let you know that the Geico commercial that plays on the radio in NJ must have been made by a New York ad agency. Pretty much only New Yorkers refer to New Jerseyans as "Jerseyites". Many New Jerseyans, including myself, resent being called "Jerseyites". It's good that the commercial highlights many of our state symbols, but it might have been good to do some research into what the citizens of New Jersey are called. It grates on my nerves everytime I hear the term Jerseyite at the end of the commercial.

Please, the next time you make a commercial, make sure you use our proper name - "New Jerseyans"

So you don't think it's just me - here are two sites which came up on google on the first page when I searched for "New Jerseyite".

"New Jerseyan or New Jerseyite? New Jerseyans HATE the term New Jerseyite, although both are listed in the Merriam-Webster dictionary"
    http://www.antimoon.com/forum/2004/3992.htm

"...We in New Jersey (my state of birth) never used that bizarre term, so I wrote to Merriam-Webster, the most prestigious dictionary maker, to complain...If you check a recent Webster's New Collegiate Dictionary, you'll see that Merriam-Webster now includes "New Jerseyan", first, and only then the hated "New Jerseyite". It really should abandon the ignorant misuse "New Jerseyite", but they may argue that they retain it for readers of older materials as tho people would be puzzled as to the meaning of "New Jerseyite" if it weren't given in a dictionary!
    http://members.aol.com/Schoonmaker2000/NJ.html

Thank you -
    So what do you think? New Jerseyan or the ridiculous term "New Jerseyite"?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Default New Jerseyan

Wasnt this a bit that they did on the TV show TAXI about Deleware. ..My vote is for Jerseyan.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by davegering
    Wasnt this a bit that they did on the TV show TAXI about Deleware. ..My vote is for Jerseyan.
    I just thought of the same thing. Rev. Jim was watching a news report on a vote being taken on what the people of Delaware would be called.

Deb

Quote Originally Posted by DebbieSans
    I just thought of the same thing. Rev. Jim was watching a news report on a vote being taken on what the people of Delaware would be called.

Deb
    The vote went

I think New Jerseyans sounds better.

Delawareans sounds better as well.
    IIRC the episode is
    #57: "Zen and the Art of Cab Driving"
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

Well Geico did e-mail me back and said they were forwarding my e-mail to the advertising department. Hopefully I'll hear something back and I'll keep an ear out on whether they change the voice over for that one line.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by MITHRANDIR
    The vote went

I think New Jerseyans sounds better.

Delawareans sounds better as well.
    IIRC the episode is
    #57: "Zen and the Art of Cab Driving"
    If I remember correctly, Delaweenians was also an option, but maybe I'm just getting old and imagining things.

Deb

If I remember correctly, Delaweenians was also an option, but maybe I'm just getting old and imagining things.
    Thats just wrong. I think I have always said Delwarians.

One of the things that bugs me is that Microsoft Word does not have Jerseyan in it's dictionary. It has Hoosier (Indianian) and Marylander in the dictionary as well as New Yorker and Californian. So why not New Jerseyan? At least they don't have Jerseyite though in their dictionary.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    Thats just wrong. I think I have always said Delwarians.

One of the things that bugs me is that Microsoft Word does not have Jerseyan in it's dictionary. It has Hoosier (Indianian) and Marylander in the dictionary as well as New Yorker and Californian. So why not New Jerseyan? At least they don't have Jerseyite though in their dictionary.
    Just thinking...where the heck did the "ite" come from anyways? Every other state I can think of is an "an", "ian", or "er"...Texan, Floridian, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Hawaiian. Hmmmm...what do they call people from Iowa? Try saying Iowaians. LOL I think I need more sleep.

Deb

Just thinking...where the heck did the "ite" come from anyways? Every other state I can think of is an "an", "ian", or "er"...Texan, Floridian, Pennsylvanian, Vermonter, Hawaiian. Hmmmm...what do they call people from Iowa? Try saying Iowaians. LOL I think I need more sleep.
    According to Websters online dictionary - it's Iowan. People from Ohio are called Buckeyes and not Ohioians. When we moved out to Indiana I told my parents, I may consider myself an Indianian - but never a Hoosier. Hoosier has this sound of being uneducated and ignorant. But as it turned out - I never abandoned New Jersey while I was living out of state. I used to say I was a New Jerseyan living in Indiana. Even when I went out to Oregon and people used to ask where I was from, I'd say I was from New Jersey. During that time was when I discovered that I was truly a New Jerseyan and that I had to come back to New Jersey. (okay - so that was a little off topic )

As for the origin of "ite" I'll have to do some research. My friend who is somewhat of a "linguist" of the English language says that "Jerseyite" is improper. "ite" refers to someone who holds a particular belief. Although again, websters says the first definition of "ite" is a "resident of" and then give the example of "New Jerseyite".

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I SWEAR I knew that...really I did!

I SWEAR I knew that...really I did!
    I believe you. Hmmm- or are you just trying to cover it up now?

New Jersey Proud!

New Jerseyan

I believe you. Hmmm- or are you just trying to cover it up now?
    I'm just gonna have to leave you guessing on that one

Tourist

Default I disagree.

I disagree with the idea that the word New Jerseyan should entirely replace the classic and dignified New Jersyite. Have you ever read John McPhee?
    The word represents the suburbanites urbanites and ruralites of this state and dispite your disliking it is just as aceptable as New Jerseyan and is not wrong.It has a stronger ring to it , New Jerseyan to me sounds like an adjective , Jerseyan sounds more female and Jerseyite more Male .
    I understand that you deeply dislike it , but it has been around for longer than you and I and our grandparents put together.
    People put down this state more than any other place on Earth and I for one am trying to change out of state ignorant perceptions whenever I can.
    I'm not saying your opinion about the word is invalad, your taste is your taste. I'm saying that you have to realise that there can be two words with the same relitive meaning and both words can be valad, it is part of the beauty of language, I say tomato and you tomotto....
    To each their own ....The term New Jerseyite is a strong and meaning full term with a harder sound, while Jerseyan might be easyer on your ears, Jerseyite as a word is an option that I choose to use, and It's useage goes way way way back , have you read the book John McPhee wrote about the Pine Barrens back in the 60's? Enough said.

Quote Originally Posted by Proud New Jerseyite
    I disagree with the idea that the word New Jerseyan should entirely replace the classic and dignified New Jersyite.
    If we were going to use the TRUE classic term for us - then we should be referred to as Jerseymen. That was the term used for residents of New Jersey during colonial times and the revolution.
    Have you ever read John McPhee?
    Yes, I have several of his books, including the one you mention about the Pine Barrens. However, just because he chooses to use it, doesn't mean that Jerseyite isn't used as a deragatory term by New Yorkers and others. Who decided to call us "Jerseyites" anyway? Was it New Yorkers as a way of putting us down? Why did it replace the term "Jerseyman" (which in my view is far better than Jerseyite and is still used to describe residents of the Isle of Jersey) and when did it come into existence? I do not like the term Jerseyite, just like I don't like the term "Yankee" to describe an American.

New Jersey Proud!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

I much prefer being called a New Jerseyan as it just sounds more proper. Who would call a Califorian a Californiaite? ''New Jerseyan'' also makes it clear that the person is a native or long time resident of New Jersey. I suppose it is also whatever a person is comfortable with. Maranita

Tourist

Default Proud to live in a blue state!

What about Jerseywoman? We are being silly at this point, saying that the term Jerseyite is dirogatory or a put down is like saying that Suburbanite is a put-down(or Urbanite, or Ruralite).
    I was'nt aware of the word being dirogatory. It's no big deal my fellow Jerseyman, it might even be a matter of context! Think about that! Context can mean a lot!
    P.s. i won't rout for teams with New York's name on them.I am a Devils fan and until they become the Brooklyn Nets I am a Nets fan.
    How about spelling the word New Jerseyight, does that work for you?
    Yankees is the name of a major league baseball team by the way, they wear that name with pride.
    PEACE!

Quote Originally Posted by Proud New Jerseyite
    What about Jerseywoman? We are being silly at this point, saying that the term Jerseyite is dirogatory or a put down is like saying that Suburbanite is a put-down(or Urbanite, or Ruralite).
    I was'nt aware of the word being dirogatory. It's no big deal my fellow Jerseyman, it might even be a matter of context! Think about that! Context can mean a lot!
    Yes context does stand for a lot. I just don't like New Jerseyite. I never have. That is my opinion. You have yours. I do not think bringing up the fact that we were called "Jerseymen" for hundreds of years is silly. I was merely pointing out - just because Jerseyite used to be "normal" doesn't mean it has to stay that way.
    P.s. i won't rout for teams with New York's name on them.I am a Devils fan and until they become the Brooklyn Nets I am a Nets fan.
    I root against any New Jersey team which wears NY on their uniform. You can see the website I am developing that points this out - DropNY.com
    How about spelling the word New Jerseyight, does that work for you?
    Why would that work any better? It's not the spelling I have a problem with.
    Yankees is the name of a major league baseball team by the way, they wear that name with pride.
    I wasn't referring the Yankees baseball team. I don't like being called a "Yankee" by the south nor by Europeans - just like I don't like being called a "New Jerseyite"

New Jersey Proud!

Well Geico did e-mail me back and said they were forwarding my e-mail to the advertising department. Hopefully I'll hear something back and I'll keep an ear out on whether they change the voice over for that one line.
    No change yet. I do not here the commercial as often, but it is still the same. More than likely, the lizard people decided it was not worth the expense of redoing the commercial.

Maybe if they said New Yorkites. (Yikes! ) There would have been quicker response for change.
    Sincerely,
    Anthony

NJ & You, Perfect Together

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi New Jerseyite, You have a point there. Somehow the spelling ''Jerseyight'' does seem better but I cannot explain why. lol. I don't think it is derogatory at all. It is a personal preference. ''Jersey woman'' sounds good for me. My license plate says''JRSY HRT.'' I am sooo proud of my license plates. I tried to get JRSY GRL but it was taken. I applied some little stick on hearts to the license plates and it sure sends a message. Anyway I think ''Jerseyite'' sounds fine. Anything New York is off my list. lol. Take care. Marianita

Tourist

Default BULL SH*T!

I had never heard of the Red Bulls.I did some research and found out that there is no longer a pro soccer team called the New York/New Jersey Metrostars! They are now the New York Red Bull....or acording to wikipedia RED BULL NEW YORK and they still play in the Meadowlands.
    WAIT A MINUTE I thought there was a "LAW" That Christie Whittman put in place saying that any professional team that plays in NJ from now on has to have New Jersey's name on it!
    What the hell happened ? How is it that there is another pro level team playing under NEW yORK's name at the Meadowlands? I could swear there was a rule put in place , hence the name New York/New Jersey Metrostars.
    Is it the Red Bull energy drink (cafinated crack cola) that bought their way out of that law?
    I bet Dick Cody is responsable, any law is breakable when you are a big money corporation as long as there is a govener who only cares about money, Bear hunts and smoking bans.Cody made it a priority to sign the NY giants and Jets to a one hundred year deal and got it done.
    F Cody, F the New york Red bull , it's bull ****!