View Poll Results: What should the new tourism slogan be?

Voters
7. You may not vote on this poll
  • New Jersey, Expect the Unexpected

1 14.29%
  • New Jersey, Love at First Sight

1 14.29%
  • New Jersey, Come See For Yourself

1 14.29%
  • New Jersey, The Real Deal

0 0%
  • New Jersey, The Best Kept Secret

2 28.57%
  • None of the Above

2 28.57%
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: New Jersey's new tourism slogan

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Here is the article on the slogan and the latest episode on what I like to call Slogangate ...

N.J. cans new slogan after learning it’s used
    ASSOCIATED PRESS

New Jersey officials said the new state slogan — ‘‘Come See for Yourself’’ — would highlight the Garden State’s true beauty.

However, it turns out that at least one other state already had the same idea.
    State tourism officials say they have canned the slogan after it was unable to pass legal muster because some states, including West Virginia, have used it in the past.

"‘We are proceeding without the slogan. We will revisit the next steps at the end of the year,’’ Karen Wolfe, a spokeswoman for the state Commerce, Economic Growth and Tourism Commission, told the Press of Atlantic City.

Former Gov. Richard J. Codey unveiled the slogan with great fanfare at a January news conference, just days before he left office.

Codey, who remains state Senate president, said at the time that the state’s catch phrase ‘‘should hint at our true beauty.’’

The slogan was the top choice among 11,227 telephone and online votes cast by residents for five final entrees in a statewide contest.

But at an annual tourism conference in Cape May County more than a week ago, the slogan was absent from all state promotional materials. The slogan is also incognito in this year’s tourism television commercials, featuring a song by rocker Jon Bon Jovi, a Sayreville native.

Tourism officials say West Virginia already used phrase in some previous promotions, but now uses ‘‘West Virginia: Wild and Wonderful.’’
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Now our new slogan can be NEW JERSEY CLOSED FOR THE SEASON. i am heading down to Manahawkin for 11 days on Friday fortunitly the only thing on LBI that will be affected is Barnaget light which I believe is run by the State.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default New Jersey slogan

Hi Dave, How about, ''There is no place on earth like New Jersey.'' Or how about,''Breathtaking New Jersey?'' Marianita

I was being sarcastic
    Last edited by davegering; 07-05-2006 at 07:36 PM.
    DAVE GERING
    MANAGER JERSEY STORE EWR

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Dave, I know you were and I am aware that the state has shut down but that does not mean it is not a beautiful state. Hopefully this situation is only temporary. Everyones nerves are on edge. with good reason. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default My New Jersey Tourism Slogan

New Jersey:

It's the Shore … and Much More

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Warren, That is absolutely awesome. It is the best I have seen yet. It pretty well sums it up and gives people an idea of what New Jersey is like. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Thanks!

Thanks, Marianita! I appreciate your compliment. Though I write for a living, slogan writing is an art all it's own. I used to work with a man who was an ad copywriter at a New Orleans ad agency years ago and I wish I could think them up like he did. I can come up with something after lots and lots of thought, but he'd spout slogans and clever lines off the top of his head as easy as breathing.

New Jersey Tour Guide

You are so very welcome Jersey Warren. I should have figured you write for living. It is funny about these things. Sometimes you have to think and think. It is like my writing poetry. Strangely I write the best after midnight. lol. At any rate no one is going to come up with anything better then your slogan so it may as well be used. That guy in New Orleans probably was used to coming up with slogans. I too have to give these things plenty of thought. Take care. Marianita