Thread: What makes an Amusement Park an amusement park?

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

Default What makes an Amusement Park an amusement park?

I was wondering if people consider Wild West City as an amusement park? I really don't really consider it one - although I know it is listed as one in Jim Futrell's Amusement Parks of NJ book and it's listed on the amuseument park pages on the main site. It just doesn't seem to me to be an amusement park - but there really isn't another category to put it into. It's not really a living histrory museum - because they don't really do things in a pure historial manner. So what are your thoughts on this? What makes an amusement park an amusement park?
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

I agree that Wild West City is not an amusement park; neither was Fairytale Forest, The Gingerbread Castle or Cowboy City as they did not contain permanent rides. I would classify these type of parks as attractions or just a family park. I will probably get arguments, but I do not classify water parks as amusement parks. An amusement park can contain water rides but a stand alone water park is not an amusement park.

Many city parks had miniature train rides around lakes and the grounds. I do not consider these amusement parks as, their only rides were the trains.

Amusement parks contain rides, concession stands, shows and attractions that are constructed for permanency. Parks can be open on a year round basis such as the Disney theme parks or on a seasonal basis. Carnivals and fairs that occur annually for a short period of time and the rides are brought in for the duration of the event are not amusement parks.

Amusement parks create a memory. The rides, grounds and atmosphere are a place to forget about the trials and tribulations of everyday.

Recent Resident

Default Amusement Parks.

Hmm

It's all about the rides. Theme parks do not need rides. An amusement park to me means waiting in line for an awful long 5 minutes to go round and round in something bright and lit up and noisy until my mind goes numb. After a few days of that every other week in summer I'm ready to go back to school..

p.s. Rides that take 10 cents or a quarter outside the Kmart do not count.

Tourist

An amusement park is a kind of a place where people tends to go for all the sole purpose of recreation and keep their minds fresh from all the worries, and stress of all day routine life and a person can get rejuvenate and take the real pleasure of life. This is a place of fun, excitement, wilderness, enjoyment, and entertainment. where a person can revitalize and forget all the grievances and disappointments of life and energize himself with a kind of new vigor and compassionate himself with zeal and zest of youth and indulge himself into the colorful instinct and nature of life take an active part with all the people in the hustle bustle and try to live with a true spirit of life.