View Poll Results: Should NJ's northeastern cities be combined into one large city?

Voters
14. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

4 28.57%
  • No

7 50.00%
  • Not sure

3 21.43%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Consolidaton of NJ's northeastern cities

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi roadbldr, I can well understand how bad you must have felt during the riots and only being 7 yrs old. I was a young adult when the Los Angeles riots broke out and I thought the Lord was getting ready to come back. I could not go visit my friends and they could not come visit me. Those memories are not pleasant.
    I would like to see Newark and will do. The cathedrals that Jersey Devil spoke of sound like something I want to see. I saw cathedrals in Mexico and they were awesome. So now I know that Newark is not industrial but only the surrounding areas. More Jersey stuff for me to learn. lol. I am soaking it up like a sponge. Marianita
    Mari,

The industrial parts of Newark are generally between Frelinghuysen Avenue (Rte. 27) and Newark Airport/Port Newark, and along McCarter Highway (Rte. 21)... in other words, close to rail, air and water shipping. Most of the rest of the city is residential and light commercial.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default consolidation of NJ's northeastern cities

Hi roadbldr, It seems to me that people have grown comfortable in the environment. I think it might take people from the outside to come in and make the needed changes. Maybe a consolidation is in order.
    It sounds as if it it were an ideal place to live when you were there. Times have changed. For it to prosper it will take a group effort if and enthusiam on someones part. hard to say really. It can be done I am sure. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Question consolidation of NJ's northeastern cities

Hi roadbldr, That is interesting. Actually I do not know what made me think Newark was industrial in the first place. How does one go about getting a place restored to what it was? Apparently some of the beauty remains. Marianita

New Jersey Ambassador Admin & Founder JerseyDevil's Avatar

This discussion should really be moved into the Newark thread, it's starting to get off topic. Anyway - here is a video from the Devils website about the Prudential Center and what is being built around the area. I think you will start to see a big change in Newark over the years. Not only is the arena going in, but they're building a park, office and hotels and restaurants around the arena.

As for Newark taking a Guiliani - take no prisoners - attitude on crime - well Newark FINALLY got their first police helicopter to combat crime. Booker seems to be taking the situation in Newark seriously wants to really make changes. I see Newark changing. I would like it to be a city New Jerseyans can be proud of. While Jersey City seems to be developing into just a suburb of New York - I hope Newark will not fall into that trap. Newark has a great history as I have said before and it is ridiculous that it is in the shape it is in . A little more than ten years ago - no one would have thought of moving to Jersey City or Hoboken, now people are flocking there will million dollar penthouses.
    New Jersey is the only state honored by two resorts at Walt Disney World. The Beach Club Resort, modeled after Historic Cape May and The Boardwalk Resort, after Atlantic City. If the Jersey Shore is good enough for Walt Disney to recreate, isn't the REAL Jersey Shore even better for you and your family?

Things to do in NJ: Attraction Guide
    Where to Stay in NJ: Hotel Guide
    What's Happening in NJ: Event Guide
    NJ Visitor & Vacation Guide Request Form

AboutNewJersey.com on Facebook
    The Jersey Shore on Facebook

New Jersey Proud!
    Let's GO RUTGERS and New Jersey Devils!!!
    The Proud to be New Jersey Teams!

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    This discussion should really be moved into the Newark thread, it's starting to get off topic. Anyway - here is a video from the Devils website about the Prudential Center and what is being built around the area. I think you will start to see a big change in Newark over the years. Not only is the arena going in, but they're building a park, office and hotels and restaurants around the arena.

As for Newark taking a Guiliani - take no prisoners - attitude on crime - well Newark FINALLY got their first police helicopter to combat crime. Booker seems to be taking the situation in Newark seriously wants to really make changes. I see Newark changing. I would like it to be a city New Jerseyans can be proud of. While Jersey City seems to be developing into just a suburb of New York - I hope Newark will not fall into that trap. Newark has a great history as I have said before and it is ridiculous that it is in the shape it is in . A little more than ten years ago - no one would have thought of moving to Jersey City or Hoboken, now people are flocking there will million dollar penthouses.
    True... I hope. Then again, I've seen too many "Newark revivals" invariably sink back into "same stuff, different year", so I guess I'm still cynical about it all. Still, I do remember how proud everyone was at Newark 300 (1666-1966), and watching the Veterans' Day parade from a balcony in City Hall when I was five or six. And a couple times a year I have dreams about buying back my family's old house in the Weequahic neighborhood. Who knows? Maybe those days will come again. Probably too late for me, though .

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default consolidation of NJ's northeastern cities

Hi Roadbldr, You never know what can happen in your lifetime. I never thought I would get to return to the east coast until my son got a job there. I had no reason to go there anymore. As for the revivals and slipping back that seems to apply to many places. Hopefully with this new govenor things will change for the better. Marianita

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi Roadbldr, You never know what can happen in your lifetime. I never thought I would get to return to the east coast until my son got a job there. I had no reason to go there anymore. As for the revivals and slipping back that seems to apply to many places. Hopefully with this new govenor things will change for the better. Marianita
    I actually get back to NJ quite a bit with my girlfriend from Arlington VA. Her sister and family live in Long Valley, in Western Morris County. I'd love to retire to New Jersey in another twenty years... but I don't think I could live in Newark proper ever again.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile consolidation of NJ's northeastern cities

Hi Roadbldr, Twenty years is a long time. And New Jersey has many other places to offer for an ideal retirement place. You never know how Newark will be in 20 years. It may be an ideal place to retire by the time you are ready. Marianita