View Poll Results: What do you consider to be the road with the worst traffic in the state of New Jersey?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • US Route 1

6 40.00%
  • US Route 9

1 6.67%
  • Garden State Parkway

1 6.67%
  • New Jersey Turnpike

1 6.67%
  • Interstate 80

1 6.67%
  • Interstate 295

1 6.67%
  • Other

4 26.67%
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Road with worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    I was wondering about that. I assumed Marianita was thinking of someone else. I am familiar with two Arlingtons one in Massachusetts and another in Texas and I have known women in both, so the comment didn't seem too "off the wall."

New Jersey has eliminated many of the old traffic circles, but some still exist, particularly in the southern and western portions of the state. Theoretically, traffic entering a circle is supposed to yield to those already in it, but you know how that works when drivers get aggressive. It is easier to get off than to get on, from my experience. The also have circles in Massachusetts, but they call them "rotaries" there.

Jughandles are very easy, just like exiting a highway and crossing over, except you are doing it at grade level instead of crossing under an overpass. The have something even weirder in Texas, called a "Texas U Turn." On many highways, the left lane is for U turns only and when you get to an overpass, you turn left under the overpass ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE STREET FACING TRAFFIC, and then you make another left and wind up in the left lane going in the opposite direction. It works, once you get used to it, but that stretch going under the overpass on the "wrong" side of the street freaks you out at first!
    There's also an Arlington, Washington, and a North Arlington, Ohio. Surely there must be an Arlington, New Jersey too!

I rather like both traffic circles and jughandles, myself. The former are fun and challenging to drive... if one likes driving, which i do. There used to be traffic circles at both junctions of Routes 35 and 36 on the way Down The Shore... I think the southernmost one, near Eatontown, is still there while the one further north has been replaced by a grade separation.

Jughandles take longer to execute than U-turns from left-turn lanes. However they are safer because you have the right of way over oncoming traffic, and have a greater field of view of potentially errant drivers.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

Hi roadbldr, There is an Arlington Virginia too. That makes for a lot of Arlingtons. lol. Well, I am not so sure it was wise to do away with some of the circles in New Jersey as they help move a tremendous amount of traffic. I understand that the removal of some of the circles have caused traffic problems.
    I have never driven the circles. We have one in the nearest large city. Ofcourse it does not have the amount of traffic like the ones in New Jersey. Anyway that circle is really cool because you can get around very well in different directions. I never gave it much thought. It is called the ''Belmont circle'' and it is the only one I have ever seen before going to New Jersey.The Marlton circle is unbelivable. You just sit there awhile. But thousands of cars go through there every day so I can see the wisdom in having a circle and wonder who invented it as it was an ingenious idea on someones part.
    As for the jug handles I had never seen one. I am sure that if I lived in New Jersey I could manage the traffic after getting used to it. It is not really bad but just that some places are very congested and we have that here too. Marianita

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi roadbldr, There is an Arlington Virginia too. That makes for a lot of Arlingtons. lol. Well, I am not so sure it was wise to do away with some of the circles in New Jersey as they help move a tremendous amount of traffic. I understand that the removal of some of the circles have caused traffic problems.
    I have never driven the circles. We have one in the nearest large city. Ofcourse it does not have the amount of traffic like the ones in New Jersey. Anyway that circle is really cool because you can get around very well in different directions. I never gave it much thought. It is called the ''Belmont circle'' and it is the only one I have ever seen before going to New Jersey.The Marlton circle is unbelivable. You just sit there awhile. But thousands of cars go through there every day so I can see the wisdom in having a circle and wonder who invented it as it was an ingenious idea on someones part.
    As for the jug handles I had never seen one. I am sure that if I lived in New Jersey I could manage the traffic after getting used to it. It is not really bad but just that some places are very congested and we have that here too. Marianita
    Over in England they have traffic circles everywhere... the call them roundabouts. I like them... they're fun to drive and break up the monotony of endless traffic lights and/or grade separated interchanges. Properly designed roundabouts are actually safer and more conducive to traffic flow than either lights or interchanges... provided that there are equal volumes of traffic on the approaching roadways.

About Arlington VA... I know that one well. That's the Arlington my girlfriend lives in!
    Last edited by Roadbldr '59; 03-12-2007 at 08:40 PM.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi roadbldr, I like driving the Belmont circle as it is a smooth ride and easy to get to different places. The circles do have their purpose and hopefully New Jersey can keep some of them. That is interesting that England has so many of the circles they call roundabouts.That must mean there is a heavy volume of traffic in England. I think a few circles could be useful in the Los Angeles area. I am sure glad I am not living there anymore. It is a much easier lifestyle here as far as traffic goes.
    I remember Arlington as a beautiful place but it has been a whilesince I was there. Marianita

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi roadbldr, I like driving the Belmont circle as it is a smooth ride and easy to get to different places. The circles do have their purpose and hopefully New Jersey can keep some of them. That is interesting that England has so many of the circles they call roundabouts.That must mean there is a heavy volume of traffic in England. I think a few circles could be useful in the Los Angeles area. I am sure glad I am not living there anymore. It is a much easier lifestyle here as far as traffic goes.
    I remember Arlington as a beautiful place but it has been a whilesince I was there. Marianita
    Mari,

So, where's "here" nowadays?

The only traffic circle I recall in the entire Los Angeles area is one down near Long Beach... and it's been 20 years+ since I've seen it, I am not altogether sure I'm not confusing it with one I remember from NJ!

Roadbldr

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi roadbldr, I live in Central Calif. It is a different world the Los Angeles. It is agriculture here. I did not know that Long Beach had a circle. But then I did not spend a lot of time there. Maybe you did confuse it with a circle in New Jersey. That is easy to do. Maybe if you look up ''Belmont circle'' on the internet you can get a good idea of how that circle looks. Marianita

Recent Resident

...for route 1.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default roads with worst traffic in New Jersey

Hi Olivia, I agree that route 1 needs help. lol. Marianita