View Poll Results: What do you consider to be the road with the worst traffic in the state of New Jersey?

Voters
15. You may not vote on this poll
  • US Route 1

6 40.00%
  • US Route 9

1 6.67%
  • Garden State Parkway

1 6.67%
  • New Jersey Turnpike

1 6.67%
  • Interstate 80

1 6.67%
  • Interstate 295

1 6.67%
  • Other

4 26.67%
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Road with worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi NVME, Yes, route 3 definitely is. Route 70 is probably worse. lol. During rush hours it is almost bumper to bumper. It took a long time to get home when we went. Marianita

Tourist

Default lol

The Mad Max type adventures traversing the most dangerous stretch of road in the US, route 17 (enter only upon your own risk you slow driving, turnsignelusing pussy)(only lead foot, lane changing, coffee drinking, bagel eating cell phone using, cigarette smoking tailgating flipping you off while they check the moosed out hair guidos and guidettes apply). The entrance ramps are short so say a prayer, gun it and hope that the stars are aligned and the your horoscope says that death is not at your door today . Finding someone to wave you in, flash their lights and politely let you merge in front of them is about as likely as a Jersey girl to not have her nails manicured and her hair with enough hairspray to wipe out half of the ozone layer.

Rt 46, with it's asteroid sized pot holes, is a close second when it comes to danger only before experienced by shark wrestlers and anyone who wears a NJ devil's jersey to the Garden. And where the hell are the left turns? Loop around here, loop around there, **** that I got something for you to loop! What these ****ing moronic losers did not know is that I drove a company car and if I wrecked it then I just got a new one with was probably better than the old one so score one for me. I did rear end a $25K racing bike one day and until I brandished a aluminum softball bat the soprano wannabe finally reckoned that the only justice he was going to extricate was a check from the insurance company.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default worst driving conditions

Hi henchman, I say. You have had a rough time driving in those areas. I will be sure to stay away from those places. lol. There are many parts of New Jersey I have not seen.What you discribed sounds like a nightmare, kind of like our freeways here.Here I have learned where to stay away from and I have my favorite routes. Take care. Marianita

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by JerseyDevil
    I'm not sure actually. It depends on what stretch you are talking about, what time of day as well as season. The Parkway is very well named during the summer on Fridays.
    Some things never change. When I was a kid around 1971, my Dad would try the GSP down to the Turnpike exit... if traffic was jammed over the Raritan River, he'd ditch over to Route 35 at Exit 127. Eventually we started just taking Routes 1&9 to 35, bypassing the Parkway completely... this meant making it from Essex County to Belmar in an hour-and-a-half, instead of three hours.

Nowadays though it's pretty much a wash. Route 1(&9) was my choice for NJ's most congested highway... the section from Newark Airport to the 9/35 split it's a virtual parking lot on summer Saturday mornings. Belmar is a 2-hour drive from EWR either way... whenever I visit, I take Route 35 purely for the nostalgia of it.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default traffic conditions

Hi roadblr, I can see how avoiding the parkway would save you some time. My daughter-in-law and I were moving along in a steady fast flow of traffic and I asked her to pull over so I could take a picture of a sign that said,''Cinnaminson Welcomes You.'' I had to snap the pic really fast as there were cars whizzing past us and they were too close for comfort. lol. There is a jug handle around there and it was packed with cars. It was unreal. Getting off the jug handle the traffic ( coming from the other direction) merged into the lane we were in and that was a harrowing experience. It was not rush hour either. It was in the middle of the day. lol. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide Jersey Warren's Avatar

Default Quoting just a small part of this post

Quote Originally Posted by thehenchman
    Finding someone to wave you in, flash their lights and politely let you merge in front of them is about as likely as a Jersey girl to not have her nails manicured and her hair with enough hairspray to wipe out half of the ozone layer.
    Where did this image of New Jersey females originate? The movies?

When I left New Jersey in the 1970s, hairspray was just about dying out. On my return visist to the Garden State two or three times a year, I found that New Jersey females were partial to either the straight, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon folksinger look, or else short perms (mostly in the 80s.)

The first time I encountered "big-hair" and hair spray since the Shagri-Las girl band was popular in the 60s, was in Dallas circa 1992. By then, I had thought that hairspray was no longer made!

The movies love to portary all New Jerseyans as either "Vinnie Barbarinos" or Laverne DiFazios," depending on gender.

From my experience, New Jersey (like Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc.) is a very preppy, Ivy League, upper-middle-class, Liz Claiborne, Polo, Ralph Lauren, Dockers, L.L. Bean, Sperry Topsiders kind of state where most people dress as if they are going to the yacht club (or at least the marina). (Or maybe I just have classy relatives!)

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren
    Where did this image of New Jersey females originate? The movies?

When I left New Jersey in the 1970s, hairspray was just about dying out. On my return visist to the Garden State two or three times a year, I found that New Jersey females were partial to either the straight, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon folksinger look, or else short perms (mostly in the 80s.)

The first time I encountered "big-hair" and hair spray since the Shagri-Las girl band was popular in the 60s, was in Dallas circa 1992. By then, I had thought that hairspray was no longer made!

The movies love to portary all New Jerseyans as either "Vinnie Barbarinos" or Laverne DiFazios," depending on gender.

From my experience, New Jersey (like Connecticut, Massachusetts, etc.) is a very preppy, Ivy League, upper-middle-class, Liz Claiborne, Polo, Ralph Lauren, Dockers, L.L. Bean, Sperry Topsiders kind of state where most people dress as if they are going to the yacht club (or at least the marina). (Or maybe I just have classy relatives!)

I'm not sure I identify Jersey Girls with Big Hair... perhaps it's because i moved out of state before the 1980s (though I visited, and still visit frequently). However, there is a peculiar brand of sassiness that many women of the Garden State seem to share, different from gals anyplace else. It's an intangible thing... can't put my finger on it... but it's there.

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Marianita
    Hi roadblr, I can see how avoiding the parkway would save you some time. My daughter-in-law and I were moving along in a steady fast flow of traffic and I asked her to pull over so I could take a picture of a sign that said,''Cinnaminson Welcomes You.'' I had to snap the pic really fast as there were cars whizzing past us and they were too close for comfort. lol. There is a jug handle around there and it was packed with cars. It was unreal. Getting off the jug handle the traffic ( coming from the other direction) merged into the lane we were in and that was a harrowing experience. It was not rush hour either. It was in the middle of the day. lol. Marianita
    By "jug handle" I assume you mean the U-turns that exit right, then loop around left to cross an expressway at a traffic light? It's funny... I never knew what they were called, but NJ seems to have more of those than any other state in the Union. Out here in Washington State and Oregon they flat-out do not exist.

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default the worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

Hi roadbldr, You got that right. Jug handles are where you make left turns from the right lanes. lol. We do not have any here in California either. There are some left turn lanes in New Jersey but not many. The problem I see is that if you are not in the right lane and cannot get over you m iss your turn. lol. Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default big hair

Hi roadbldr, The big hair was a thing of the 70's. I had my share of it, lots of curls. I don't think it is in style now though. I did not notice it in New Jersey this last ime I went. The sassiness is an east coast thing. lol. That is one reason everyone tells me they know I am not from here. lol. marianita

Default "You must be from back East!"

Hi roadbldr, The big hair was a thing of the 70's. I had my share of it, lots of curls. I don't think it is in style now though. I did not notice it in New Jersey this last ime I went. The sassiness is an east coast thing. lol. That is one reason everyone tells me they know I am not from here. lol. marianita

Hi Marianita,

When we moved to California in 1989, our real estate agent was also a substitute teacher who frequently spoke up and interjected her remarks at PTA meetings. She was a native of Virginia. She said that whenever she spoke up, people would mutter: "You must be from back East!"

I never realized that having the gumption to speak up and say what needed to be said was uniquely "an Eastern thing." But I have long been amazed in my travels around the country by just how much lack of service and disrespect from store clerks people outside of the Northeast sheepishly take without complaining. When I worked at my family's restaurants in Passaic and Jersey City as a teen, if you did not immediately wait on people within a minute after they sat down, they would say (and not quietly) "Can we get a little service over here!"

Yet people in the Midwest and California routinely sit patiently for ages without complaining. They are all so "mellow."

I tell you, living in different places is really an education in human nature. It should qualify a person for several Anthropology credits at least!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default lol

Hi Jersey Warren, You are absolutely right. The Californians are pretty laid back as compared to the easterners. I often say what I think and get myself in trouble. lol. I have been to a lot of places and noted the differences. My son said something about ''customer service'' when he moved to New Jersey but he had never been anywhere except Southern Calif.
    Strangely enough now he acts likes he has always been in New Jersey. There is something about that place.
    People tell me that they know I am not from around here. The pastor of my church really values the difference in people in his congregation, says it is nice to have an east coast lady and yes he can tell the difference.
    The older I get the more my roots are manifest.
    When I was deep in the heart of Mexico, Leon Guanajuato I noticed the humility of the people. It was an outstanding trait. When I am on the east coast I feel right at home. maybe because I am. lol.
    That is funny about the big hair, don't you think? lol. marianita

Hi Jersey Warren, You are absolutely right. The Californians are pretty laid back as compared to the easterners. I often say what I think and get myself in trouble. lol. I have been to a lot of places and noted the differences. My son said something about ''customer service'' when he moved to New Jersey but he had never been anywhere except Southern Calif.
    Strangely enough now he acts likes he has always been in New Jersey. There is something about that place.
    People tell me that they know I am not from around here. The pastor of my church really values the difference in people in his congregation, says it is nice to have an east coast lady and yes he can tell the difference.
    The older I get the more my roots are manifest.
    When I was deep in the heart of Mexico, Leon Guanajuato I noticed the humility of the people. It was an outstanding trait. When I am on the east coast I feel right at home. maybe because I am. lol.
    That is funny about the big hair, don't you think? lol. marianita
    It's funny how this post went from driving to big hair! I might take that guy's suggestoin about taking Route 9 instead of the Parkway on my next trip back. Either that or stay in the right-hand lanes and not try to use the express lanes, which I found indistinguishable from the EZ-Pass lanes on my last trip. That mistake cost me a total of about $100 in service charges to both EZ-Pass and the rental car company.

Back to the "big hair" stereotype for New Jersey females, it might have something to do with socio-economic classes and even small geographic areas within New Jersey. My home was in Bergen County and the rest of my family moved to Ocean County. When Jackie Kennedy and Lady Bird Johnson were first ladies, "big hair" was in for older women. But Baby Boomer Jersey girls copied folk singers like Joan Baez, Joni Mitchel, Carly Simon, etc. or else preferred the California "surfer girl" look which involved hair that was both bleached blonde and then actually ironed to make it straight! Lindsey Wagner still wears her hair like that, just see her in those Sleep Number bed commercials! Even guys were wild about surfing. My brother bleached his hair shortly before he moved to Toms River in 1968 and kept it that way all through high school. Ocean County was more like Orange County, Calif. in those days. Surfers ruled!

I visited New Jersey 2-3 times a year up until 1989 and the Preppy-Yuppie look was big there in the 80s. Almost everyone looked like they had walked off the set of the 80s TV show 30-Something or the movie Wall Street. My brother got a job on Wall Street and traded in his surfboard for a BMW!

Recent Resident

Quote Originally Posted by Jersey Warren

I visited New Jersey 2-3 times a year up until 1989 and the Preppy-Yuppie look was big there in the 80s. Almost everyone looked like they had walked off the set of the 80s TV show 30-Something or the movie Wall Street. My brother got a job on Wall Street and traded in his surfboard for a BMW!
    I spend more time nowadays in NJ than either L.A. or Seattle, both of where I also lived for many years. Part of it is because I'm in a long-distance relationship with a woman who lives in Arlington, Virginia... and her sister lives in Long Valley, NJ. Of course I make a point of flying out when my gf is driving up there... there's no excuse too small to go home again .

New Jersey Tour Guide

Default worst traffic conditions in New Jersey

Hi Jersey Warren, I agree that you should avoid the parkway and stick with route 9 after your bad experience with EZ-pass and the rental car. lol. Now there's a lesson to be learned there. Sounds like your brother made a wise choice with the BMW. What is he doing these days? It sounds like he has a wonderful job. As for travel it is not always easy to stay in the right lane as the traffic tends to move slower.
    As for the big hair and the blonde surfer look I had that naturally and ofcourse wanted to be different so I had an afro. I thought I was really cool. lol. My brother has naturally curly hair and I used to perm it so he could have an afro too. It was easier then for me. lol. My black friends were getting their hair straightened while I sported a big afro.
    Those were the days. Eventually I traded my Mustang in for a Buick and have had Buicks to this day and have become quite middle classed and a baby boomer. lol. It sounds like you have things worked out pretty well with the lady from Arlington. One of my brothers was born there. I don't think it was planned as we lived in Maryland. lol.
    I have not driven in New Jersey yet but really want to drive in one of those circles and also try out a jug handle. LOL. By the way, couldn't a person get stuck in the middle of a circle with no way out? If you say yes I will not try it. Marianita

Recent Resident

Hi Jersey Warren, I agree that you should avoid the parkway and stick with route 9 after your bad experience with EZ-pass and the rental car. lol. Now there's a lesson to be learned there. Sounds like your brother made a wise choice with the BMW. What is he doing these days? It sounds like he has a wonderful job. As for travel it is not always easy to stay in the right lane as the traffic tends to move slower.
    As for the big hair and the blonde surfer look I had that naturally and ofcourse wanted to be different so I had an afro. I thought I was really cool. lol. My brother has naturally curly hair and I used to perm it so he could have an afro too. It was easier then for me. lol. My black friends were getting their hair straightened while I sported a big afro.
    Those were the days. Eventually I traded my Mustang in for a Buick and have had Buicks to this day and have become quite middle classed and a baby boomer. lol. It sounds like you have things worked out pretty well with the lady from Arlington. One of my brothers was born there. I don't think it was planned as we lived in Maryland. lol.
    I have not driven in New Jersey yet but really want to drive in one of those circles and also try out a jug handle. LOL. By the way, couldn't a person get stuck in the middle of a circle with no way out? If you say yes I will not try it. Marianita
    Marianita,

Actually it's me, Roadbldr, with the lady friend in Arlington. Funny though... two months ago I traded in my seven-year-old BMW 3-series for a brand-new Mustang GT! lol

Quote Originally Posted by Roadbldr '59
    Marianita,

Actually it's me, Roadbldr, with the lady friend in Arlington. Funny though... two months ago I traded in my seven-year-old BMW 3-series for a brand-new Mustang GT! lol
    I was wondering about that. I assumed Marianita was thinking of someone else. I am familiar with two Arlingtons one in Massachusetts and another in Texas and I have known women in both, so the comment didn't seem too "off the wall."

New Jersey has eliminated many of the old traffic circles, but some still exist, particularly in the southern and western portions of the state. Theoretically, traffic entering a circle is supposed to yield to those already in it, but you know how that works when drivers get aggressive. It is easier to get off than to get on, from my experience. The also have circles in Massachusetts, but they call them "rotaries" there.

Jughandles are very easy, just like exiting a highway and crossing over, except you are doing it at grade level instead of crossing under an overpass. The have something even weirder in Texas, called a "Texas U Turn." On many highways, the left lane is for U turns only and when you get to an overpass, you turn left under the overpass ON THE WRONG SIDE OF THE STREET FACING TRAFFIC, and then you make another left and wind up in the left lane going in the opposite direction. It works, once you get used to it, but that stretch going under the overpass on the "wrong" side of the street freaks you out at first!

Hi Jersey Warren, I agree that you should avoid the parkway and stick with route 9 after your bad experience with EZ-pass and the rental car. lol. Now there's a lesson to be learned there. Sounds like your brother made a wise choice with the BMW. What is he doing these days? It sounds like he has a wonderful job. Marianita
    I forgot to answere that question. My brother still works on Wall Street but he outgrew his BMW years ago. He had a Mercedes for many years but my Mom told me he now has a Jaguar. He's with Daiwa Securities, a Japanese bank with a branch in New York. He drives from Toms River (where JD also lives) up to Monmouth County and leaves his car there, then takes a commuter boat to the foot of Wall Street in Manhattan. His company pays for the boat, which isn't cheap. The strange thing is, my brother never acted serious in his life. He thinks life is one big joke and he likes to recite dialogue from The Three Stooges and The Little Rascals whenever you're with him. Yet, he always seemed to "fall" into these terrific jobs making about 4-5 times more than I ever made. He's been the H.R. manager of several Wall Street firms during his career. I think companies hire him just to boost morale with his sily antics!

New Jersey Tour Guide

Smile

hi Jersey Warren. It has to be great driving that car. What color did you get? You are most likely the envy of many for having that vehicle. I am sure it has alot of power too. My Buick La Cross is nearly a year old. I am more into comfort these days.I spoiled myself and got the top of the line. It has so many features that my insurance actually went down, lol. The Buick is blueand I selected all the features I wanted in it. The local dealer did not have it so had to get it from Bakersfield.
    Your brother is one of these people who combines intellect with a great personality and goes far in life seemingly with little effort. He just attracts the right people and the awesome jobs.He must be fun to be around and I would guess he is liked by everyone. I can just picture him crusing around in his Jaguar charming everyone he meets. It seems to me that he has discovered the secret to a happy life, not to take everything so seariously.Marianita

New Jersey Tour Guide

Hi Jersey Warren, That Texas U turn sounds like a nightmare to me. lol.